amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
TS Isaac

BullCityWx

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isaac caused some serious damage to LA/MS guys, ~ an order of magnitude greater than what we associate with Cat 1 hurricanes. As some of you already know, I am not a supporter of the Saffir-Simpson scale as currently written. Case in point, a 976mb TS & 954mb Cat 1. Seriously? Granted this probably is not the thread, and the disco is better served elsewhere, but it needs to happen. As residents in SE LA would tell us, this was an atypical Cat 1, the scale of the wind-field and impacts was much greater than most had seen. Similar to Irene last year in NC, ~90 miles inland here in PGV, 954 riding into Lookout was equivalent to a usual Major passing that distance to the east, but at a slower speed. Similar to the enhanced Fujita, a new method of classifying tropical systems is in order. One that will clarify gaps in pressure vs wind, as the current scale is outdated based on what we have learned since 1971. Just saying...

Isaac caused some serious damage to LA/MS guys, ~ an order of magnitude greater than what we associate with Cat 1 hurricanes. As some of you already know, I am not a supporter of the Saffir-Simpson scale as currently written. Case in point, a 976mb TS & 954mb Cat 1. Seriously? Granted this probably is not the thread, and the disco is better served elsewhere, but it needs to happen. As residents in SE LA would tell us, this was an atypical Cat 1, the scale of the wind-field and impacts was much greater than most had seen. Similar to Irene last year in NC, ~90 miles inland here in PGV, 954 riding into Lookout was equivalent to a usual Major passing that distance to the east, but at a slower speed. Similar to the enhanced Fujita, a new method of classifying tropical systems is in order. One that will clarify gaps in pressure vs wind, as the current scale is outdated based on what we have learned since 1971. Just saying...

The duration of this event was the primary cause of the severe flooding. I'm not sure how you can classify that into any type of scale.

If you're a big fan of the Euro...which on the record was the first model to hint at a Louisiana landfall, then the leftovers of Issac will make it about as far north as Southern Illinois before making a sharp turn southeast and could end up as a MCC type feature coming across the Tennessee Valley and into the Appalachians around Labor Day.

MCC is probably not the word I would use, but the Euro keeps the remnants intact and alive and actually show them moving back into the extreme eastern Gulf then eastward out into the Atlantic by Day 9...

Archived