• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

skied Waterville today...going to Loon Tomorrow...Waterville and Loon piked up 5inches at the summits and 2inches at the base...today it sprinkled...and the sun was also out at times...total mashed potatoes at waterville...totally different temp profile for tomorrow, i hope Loon doesn't freeze solid...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

skied Waterville today...going to Loon Tomorrow...Waterville and Loon piked up 5inches at the summits and 2inches at the base...today it sprinkled...and the sun was also out at times...total mashed potatoes at waterville...totally different temp profile for tomorrow, i hope Loon doesn't freeze solid...

You have the sickness!

Was Waterville crowded today with the $1 tix?

You have the sickness!

Was Waterville crowded today with the $1 tix?

I was there as well.  It was crowded in the morning and much less crowded after 2pm.  The new snow was crazy sticky.  The packed snow was much better.  Best run of the day was around 3pm just before it started raining.

It was my first time at Waterville Valley.  I would go back but only if there was another nice deal.

Just finished loading 9 pairs of skis, bags, tune bag, poles and misc gear. Heading up to NH, Lincoln here we come. Hello Cannon and Loon.

PF - amazing pics from Stowe as usual.  Guess the hard bumps never materialized under a foot of fresh pow pow ;)

edit: just showed my wife your pics and mini bliz....she is requesting I reroute the troops lol

I did not see additional snow in the forecast. I might have to do soething about that :snowman:

Just finished loading 9 pairs of skis, bags, tune bag, poles and misc gear. Heading up to NH, Lincoln here we come. Hello Cannon and Loon.

PF - amazing pics from Stowe as usual.  Guess the hard bumps never materialized under a foot of fresh pow pow ;)

edit: just showed my wife your pics and mini bliz....she is requesting I reroute the troops lol

I did not see additional snow in the forecast. I might have to do soething about that :snowman:

Haha well the hard bumps did materialize, especially the lower half of the mountain.  But one can deal with hard bumps if it means skiing knee deep powder.  I'm off today so no idea how its skiing today, but my fear would be the powder was that light, fluffy, meso-scale fluff that its settled out quite a bit.  Hopefully its been able to get skied in, but at this time of year, it really doesn't matter... it'll warm up again shortly and the snow will change texture again.  Its really hard in April to keep a powder surface or powder characteristics to the snow. 

As usual with powder days, but even more so this time of year, is its just the luck of the draw and you need to be there when it happens ;)

Anyway, looks like winter temporarily...

558110_10101538407096710_1146760135_n.jp

Wachusett was not very fun tonight. Trail coverage is pretty good for early April, but man, they did not groom and all of the rutted stuff from earlier froze solid.

Ouch

Night skiing is pretty much a novelty imo... Once it starts to get later in the season, forget about it. Boilerplate and sugar kinda sucks. It's not worth getting hurt.

What a day here in Killington. Skied 9-2 straight and am now at the bar at the vase of superstar. The upper mountain was ugly through 945/10 then softened right up. Snow midday was incredible mountain wide.

Still too cold to take the parka off but it's near perfect wx otherwise.

Nice Ryan! Today was a banner day up this way...that surprise foot of snow led to awesome mid- winter turns on the upper mountain most of the day, and lower areas are corn snow now.

Had we not gotten that snow it would probably be pretty rugged in areas that didn't soften. But it's a nice mix of January snow on northerly aspects and April corn snow on southerly aspects.

I can say that people are losing interest as it has been fairly empty considering how good it is. No doubt why ski areas close this time of year. We will likely close near 100% open at this rate. The Gondola and Spruce Peak close this weekend with wall to wall coverage and a 5-9 foot base on most snowmaking trails.

Nice Ryan! Today was a banner day up this way...that surprise foot of snow led to awesome mid- winter turns on the upper mountain most of the day, and lower areas are corn snow now.

Had we not gotten that snow it would probably be pretty rugged in areas that didn't soften. But it's a nice mix of January snow on northerly aspects and April corn snow on southerly aspects.

I can say that people are losing interest as it has been fairly empty considering how good it is. No doubt why ski areas close this time of year. We will likely close near 100% open at this rate. The Gondola and Spruce Peak close this weekend with wall to wall coverage and a 5-9 foot base on most snowmaking trails.

I was actually surprised how many people were here today. Skye peak quad and K1 have had lines all day... Though short... They're still putting 4 people on the lift and gondola. Most of the people here though seem to be season ticket holders.

The base is just wild here. I can't believe how much snow they have for April.

SP got ching, owns a big company.

That does not mean I waste it.

Of course we have passes and my wife is a ski diva who knows how to play the lift ticket game with the best of them. She drives me nuts with it sometimes but likely saves thousands per year and has fun doing it. Gear too..big time.

Me....I don't ski myself. Did when I was young. I just love driving....touring and hanging out in small town America. You are more likely to find me in the local diner or barber shop.

My kids race so some are in development and others are competing at the highest levels on the EC. Note that their peers to the north ski double the days, and the best even more.

I just wanted my kids to be one expert skiers, all mountain etc. had no clue one of them was a natural.

Gorgeous morning in Woodstock. I see the grooms were busy last night at cannon!!! They even opened Mittersill!!!

That does not mean I waste it. Of course we have passes and my wife is a ski diva who knows how to play the lift ticket game with the best of them. She drives me nuts with it sometimes but likely saves thousands per year and has fun doing it. Gear too..big time. Me....I don't ski myself. Did when I was young. I just love driving....touring and hanging out in small town America. You are more likely to find me in the local diner or barber shop. My kids race so some are in development and others are competing at the highest levels on the EC. Note that their peers to the north ski double the days, and the best even more. I just wanted my kids to be one expert skiers, all mountain etc. had no clue one of them was a natural. Gorgeous morning in Woodstock. I see the grooms were busy last night at cannon!!! They even opened Mittersill!!!

What a great spring of skiing. enjoy your trip.

That does not mean I waste it. Of course we have passes and my wife is a ski diva who knows how to play the lift ticket game with the best of them. She drives me nuts with it sometimes but likely saves thousands per year and has fun doing it. Gear too..big time. Me....I don't ski myself. Did when I was young. I just love driving....touring and hanging out in small town America. You are more likely to find me in the local diner or barber shop. My kids race so some are in development and others are competing at the highest levels on the EC. Note that their peers to the north ski double the days, and the best even more. I just wanted my kids to be one expert skiers, all mountain etc. had no clue one of them was a natural. Gorgeous morning in Woodstock. I see the grooms were busy last night at cannon!!! They even opened Mittersill!!!

What a great spring of skiing. enjoy your trip.

Going to be warmer today. Sun is out and the corduroy was etched through the night. Looked great for the AM runs.

Love this area. We have a friend with a place here and look forward to our visits. Was going to try Loon today but cannon was in such great shape the crew did not want to risk a difference.

Does anyone have an old trail map of Mittersill?  I understand it closed 28 years ago, but surely they had trail maps even then?  It looks like a really cool spot to hang out.  I wonder how the glade through the middle of the area runs in mid winter?  I've added Cannon to my list of mountains to hit a few times next year.  The NH resident deal is sweet!

Cool video...guy on snowboards hating life.

lol. 

That fu*cking sucks and is really pretty pointless except for the "goal" as stated above.  Just riding the edges all the way down, hoping you don't smash your face on the face of the rock.

Probably would have been easier to slide down on your a*s, and not towing the equipment up there. 

Dumb.

Taking the daughter for one last afternoon/evening tonight, then the boy and I will close out the mountain Sunday afternoon before his baseball practice.

Wachusett was good to me this year

:) glad it was a good season...now we wait for November to roll back around...

Archived