joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so how do you check mountain weather? nws used to let you click anywhere on the map and it would give you elevation specific weather, but not anymore...i'd like to know what the weather in the Franconia Notch/Cannon Mtn is going to be like tomorrow and Thursday...closest i can get is Lincoln, NH...but i'd like a mountain specific forecast...

so how do you check mountain weather? nws used to let you click anywhere on the map and it would give you elevation specific weather, but not anymore...i'd like to know what the weather in the Franconia Notch/Cannon Mtn is going to be like tomorrow and Thursday...closest i can get is Lincoln, NH...but i'd like a mountain specific forecast...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.15794767342849&lon=-71.69900894165039

Sweet shots Dave...the mtn ops in me has to ask, do they do any grooming program between day and night skiing?

Like if it gets warm and softens like snow is prone to do this time of year on sunny days, but then freezes solid with the loss of daytime heating, are you just left with frozen ruts and push-piles from the daytime skiers? Or do they do a quick groom on a few night trails?

Ok I would've assumed so...I just saw one night picture there that looked like it was from the daytime, but obviously you aren't going to get them all. I'd assume a few trails close at like 3 for like 90 minutes or so.

At least in the 90's they'd close the summit runs 1 at a time and send multiple groomers for a quick pass.  That way it doesn't interrupt operations too much.  AFAIK they are the only night place that does this.  Pat's, Gunstock, and Crotched all don't evening groom. 

They start doing the afternoon/evening groom around 4 or 5.  They close 1 trail at a time (sometimes 2). They finished Conifer at 7:30, and we got first runs down that before closing... with the 8PM close it is weird.

They use 3 snow cats all on 1 trail at a time.  On my home computer and camera I took some pics of them grooming

They groom again overnight. They only groom the beginner slopes overnight (I think).

They start doing the afternoon/evening groom around 4 or 5.  They close 1 trail at a time (sometimes 2). They finished Conifer at 7:30, and we got first runs down that before closing... with the 8PM close it is weird.

They use 3 snow cats all on 1 trail at a time.  On my home computer and camera I took some pics of them grooming

They groom again overnight. They only groom the beginner slopes overnight (I think).

Nice... yeah I grew up skiing at night at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires and they used to do an evening groom at like 3-6pm on various trails.  Doing it one at a time seems to be the safest way for operations... limit the exposure of the snowcats to the public.  You definitely have to execute a good procedure to have cats on the hill with the public...especially considering a lot of folks like to duck ropes for fresh corduroy and ski right behind snowcats laying down corduroy.  You don't want to meet a tiller up close and person.

I'm sure they've got plenty of ski patrol presence when that's all going on.  I remember Jiminy Peak used to station several patrollers all around the trails that were getting groomed...especially considering there were a lot of groups like us (stupid junior and high-schoolers that were prone to making dumb decisions, haha).

Nice... yeah I grew up skiing at night at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires and they used to do an evening groom at like 3-6pm on various trails.  Doing it one at a time seems to be the safest way for operations... limit the exposure of the snowcats to the public.  You definitely have to execute a good procedure to have cats on the hill with the public...especially considering a lot of folks like to duck ropes for fresh corduroy and ski right behind snowcats laying down corduroy.  You don't want to meet a tiller up close and person.

I'm sure they've got plenty of ski patrol presence when that's all going on.  I remember Jiminy Peak used to station several patrollers all around the trails that were getting groomed...especially considering there were a lot of groups like us (stupid junior and high-schoolers that were prone to making dumb decisions, haha).

When I was at Vail a few years ago they have fleets of groomers on China Bowl pretty much all day long... you can ski right behind the thing. I thought it was so weird having skied out east for so long.

When I was at Vail a few years ago they have fleets of groomers on China Bowl pretty much all day long... you can ski right behind the thing. I thought it was so weird having skied out east for so long.

Yeah that is a risk managers nightmare. We all know they do that out west but it is eye opening. I think it was 10-15 years ago since the last accident in the east when a kid got killed at Killington when they slid under the tiller after following the cat too closely. Hamburger.

Berkshire east does not groom for night skiing.

I will never forget the day I learned how to ski. Pico, in 7th grade on a school trip. Second time ever getting off a lift, groomer was hitting up the bunny ramp. Sketchy...

Later on that day, a kid died. Out of control, and right into the back of the groomer. Stuck in the tiller and dragged for almost a hundred yards. The red stained snow is forever etched into my mind.

I get a lot of grief for my lousy pics , here is another one from SR

Was up there last tues-wens for the first time in 8 yrs..and I must say I never saw a chandola before.

Needless to say it was as good as it gets.

Berkshire east does not groom for night skiing.

I will never forget the day I learned how to ski. Pico, in 7th grade on a school trip. Second time ever getting off a lift, groomer was hitting up the bunny ramp. Sketchy...

Later on that day, a kid died. Out of control, and right into the back of the groomer. Stuck in the tiller and dragged for almost a hundred yards. The red stained snow is forever etched into my mind.

Yikes. Yeah that's grisly stuff.

I'm trying to stake out some spring skiing days is S. VT over the next couple of weeks.  Do folks have an idea of the minimum temperatures necessary to get soft corn snow midday?  I realize there are many factors, such as cloud cover, exposure, and dewpoint, but looking for a general guideline.  My sense is that the mid-upper 30s after a night in the teens forecast for the middle of next week is typically too cold.  Also, I'm looking for genuinely soft bumps, not fast, "edgible" hard pack.

I'm trying to stake out some spring skiing days is S. VT over the next couple of weeks.  Do folks have an idea of the minimum temperatures necessary to get soft corn snow midday?  I realize there are many factors, such as cloud cover, exposure, and dewpoint, but looking for a general guideline.  My sense is that the mid-upper 30s after a night in the teens forecast for the middle of next week is typically too cold.  Also, I'm looking for genuinely soft bumps, not fast, "edgible" hard pack.

Mid to upper 30s will more than get the job done if the sun is out.

It really is more tied to sunshine than anything... Cloudy and 45F could lead to firmer bumps than 37F in full sunshine, assuming an equal freeze at night.

Right now we haven't gotten to a true corn cycle yet and so the snow is a bit sticky.  Going from powder/packed powder straight to warmth and sun causes some sticky, sticky snow.  A hard freeze tonight, then melt tomorrow, then freeze Friday night, should lead to some great skiing Saturday with sunshine and 40s. 

Now if by genuinely soft bumps you mean like slush bumps, you're going to want 50F+ most likely at least in the base areas.  Sunshine and 45-50F could get like that but I think what you'll find in most spots over the next week is softening of the top couple inches, unless we don't get a freeze at night which seems very unlikely.  Hard freeze at night will keep the core of the snowpack locked up with sun and daytime warmth only penetrating the top couple inches.  Probably won't be slush bump skiing, but should still be some nice soft lines.  

Also consider mid-week the crowds are less and spring bumps actually are best when more people ski them.  I'm sure you've seen that before, where they just get softer and more broken in the more traffic they see. 

Mid to upper 30s will more than get the job done if the sun is out.

It really is more tied to sunshine than anything... Cloudy and 45F could lead to firmer bumps than 37F in full sunshine, assuming an equal freeze at night.

Right now we haven't gotten to a true corn cycle yet and so the snow is a bit sticky.  Going from powder/packed powder straight to warmth and sun causes some sticky, sticky snow.  A hard freeze tonight, then melt tomorrow, then freeze Friday night, should lead to some great skiing Saturday with sunshine and 40s. 

Now if by genuinely soft bumps you mean like slush bumps, you're going to want 50F+ most likely at least in the base areas.  Sunshine and 45-50F could get like that but I think what you'll find in most spots over the next week is softening of the top couple inches, unless we don't get a freeze at night which seems very unlikely.  Hard freeze at night will keep the core of the snowpack locked up with sun and daytime warmth only penetrating the top couple inches.  Probably won't be slush bump skiing, but should still be some nice soft lines.  

Also consider mid-week the crowds are less and spring bumps actually are best when more people ski them.  I'm sure you've seen that before, where they just get softer and more broken in the more traffic they see. 

Thanks!  This is so helpful.  Seems like I should be evaluating sky cover as much as temps.  This weekend looks ideal, but I have other plans.  Currently, midweek looks like sun and clouds, but cold with base temps in the low-mid 30s.  Looks like Thusday-Friday might be good with rebounding temps if the weather stays fair..

So true about traffic in spring bumps.  The softer the better for me.  In addition to all their other virtues, today's wide rockered skis are fantastic for soft spring skiing.  They just glide over the ruts that used to be so treacherous in the old days.

Thanks!  This is so helpful.  Seems like I should be evaluating sky cover as much as temps.  This weekend looks ideal, but I have other plans.  Currently, midweek looks like sun and clouds, but cold with base temps in the low-mid 30s.  Looks like Thusday-Friday might be good with rebounding temps if the weather stays fair..

So true about traffic in spring bumps.  The softer the better for me.  In addition to all their other virtues, today's wide rockered skis are fantastic for soft spring skiing.  They just glide over the ruts that used to be so treacherous in the old days.

Yeah fat skis have really changed the spring skiing game... you can just bomb through the push-piles that tend to form eternal on warm spring days.  My problem is my skis are usually like wet noodles by this time of year... still stiff but not what they were at the beginning of the season and I really love a stiff/hard ski in that stuff.  Something that doesn't get tossed around in the soft snow, but 120 days on snow will do a number on a ski's stiffness.  I need to buy new skis yearly due to amount of use per season. 

Thanks! This is so helpful. Seems like I should be evaluating sky cover as much as temps. This weekend looks ideal, but I have other plans. Currently, midweek looks like sun and clouds, but cold with base temps in the low-mid 30s. Looks like Thusday-Friday might be good with rebounding temps if the weather stays fair..

So true about traffic in spring bumps. The softer the better for me. In addition to all their other virtues, today's wide rockered skis are fantastic for soft spring skiing. They just glide over the ruts that used to be so treacherous in the old days.

Personally, i'd pick the day, then decide location based on the forecast. A place like bromley that faces due south would be better on a colder or cloudier day, etc...,

Archived