• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

Got back from skiing Sugarbush Wed-Thur.  First time skiing there. Wow, what a skiers mountain that place is. Really geared for intermediate / expert. We skied the main mountain on Wed as the Split Brook Express doesn't operate Mon-Wed and we skied the North mountain (Mt. Ellen) on Thurs and took the lift over to the main mountain for a few runs. I really enjoyed the varied terrain that Sugarbush offered Castlerock was a nice challenge and Steins run was loaded with soft bumps. In fact all the bumps were soft. We really enjoyed Mt Ellen. Nice long groomed cruisers and great bump runs all around the mountain. There were no crowds at all and at times it felt like they were operating the lifts just for us. The weather was perfect. Spring conditions. Clouds and sun with temps in the 40s. Overall a great trip and I didn't even touch all that the mountain has to offer which means i'll be back next season. Hard to believe that Mt Ellen officially closes on Sunday while it's still 100% open. I guess It happens late in the season. 

Pretty cool being above the could line. Had to take pics. 

wJUm3eS.jpg

PjU8Clp.jpg

Ot3amho.jpg

Ka2NagF.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks awesome.  Would love to ski that.

Wachusett today was sunny and warm. Snow loosened up a bit. Soft but abundant

my son is there now, when I dropped him off a little after 10, the upper lot was almost full. I'm going first thing tomorrow would like to get there at 8 and ski until 11-12 and watch the pond skimming. Looks like a gorgeous day. I think they're going to pack them in tomorrow. 

Got back from skiing Sugarbush Wed-Thur.  First time skiing there. Wow, what a skiers mountain that place is. Really geared for intermediate / expert. We skied the main mountain on Wed as the Split Brook Express doesn't operate Mon-Wed and we skied the North mountain (Mt. Ellen) on Thurs and took the lift over to the main mountain for a few runs. I really enjoyed the varied terrain that Sugarbush offered Castlerock was a nice challenge and Steins run was loaded with soft bumps. In fact all the bumps were soft. We really enjoyed Mt Ellen. Nice long groomed cruisers and great bump runs all around the mountain. There were no crowds at all and at times it felt like they were operating the lifts just for us. The weather was perfect. Spring conditions. Clouds and sun with temps in the 40s. Overall a great trip and I didn't even touch all that the mountain has to offer which means i'll be back next season. Hard to believe that Mt Ellen officially closes on Sunday while it's still 100% open. I guess It happens late in the season. 

Pretty cool being above the could line. Had to take pics. 

wJUm3eS.jpg

PjU8Clp.jpg

Ot3amho.jpg

Ka2NagF.jpg

Great Pics I love Sugarbush

Nice shots, Subdude... there may be a lot of places closing this season when they are 75-100% open.

Another snowy day on Mansfield up this way today.

Picked up 2-2.5" of snowfall up on the mountain through 10am but then it snowed all afternoon with no additional accumulation.

Wintery appeal to the ski day though.  Another 1-3" in the forecast tonight. 

photo_gallery_img_5267_edited_1_1.jpg

305943_10151309623847382_1075597913_n.jp

524034_10151309623747382_358269608_n.jpg

253784_10151309623827382_137698635_n.jpg

i finally got to ski cannon mtn! took a buddy and went on twoforthursday...two lift tix for 70bucks...they had gotten about 2inches fresh snow overnight wednesday...snow in the air all day thursday...great mtn...except there was 0 visibilty from 3000ft-4000ft...skied from the very top a few times...i now know what its like to be a blind person...white on white, no horizontal visibility, no depth perception...some of the scariest skiing of my life...took a blue trail but was actually a natural mogul field...didn't think i was going to make it down alive...but i did, as well as my buddy...we only took 3 runs from the top, spent the rest of the day skiing 3/4 down or 1/2 down...but still an excellent mtn with a very chill atmosphere...skied some blue square glades...practiced my parallel turns...burnt the hell out of my quad muscles, which are still sore as i type this...i would love to go back and ski cannon when there is visibility...hoping to hit the slopes 2 more times before everything closes up tight until the snow flies again next november...such a long wait, such sadness....how did this winter fly by like that????

that's a good deal...i can't believe $1 lift tix...i wonder if i should do the drive...i might just do it...when you and your family went, was it good skiing?

It actually kind of sucked.  But Waterville can be ok. 

When we went I did not get to go  on much of the mountain since my daughter felt sick.

this is what i found:

Four ways to save on April Fool’s Day…

Ski or ride at Waterville Valley Monday for just $1. No gimmicks. Lift tickets will be only $1 for the day. I’ve skied this promotion before, and while it can indeed get crowded, for obvious reasons, at no point was the mountain ever overwhelmed. As good a deal as you can get.

Wildcat and Attitash will both have $9 lift tickets on April Fool’s Day. In the past, when Wildcat had offered the $9 promotion on certain Fridays, the parking lot would be overflowed, but now with the addition of Attitash, and the ability to use your ticket at both mountains, it should be a bit more manageable. I skied at the Pinkham Notch mountain last weekend, and it’s in great shape.

Head to Mad River Glen for the day, act like a fool at the ticket window, and you’ll ski 2-for-1 (only $24.50 each).

April 1 also marks the beginning of spring pricing at Cannon Mountain, where skiers and riders can purchase lift tickets, two-for-$70 the remainder of the season.

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/blog/2013/03/fool.html#sthash.5q6RA1qn.dpuf

Heading to Killington Thursday/Friday... so excited! Soft bumps, heavy beer, and more beer.

Nice yeah looks to be warming up by then. Tue/Wed will be rock hard bumps, lol. Highs below freezing up here in the base area both of those days... could be rugged unless we get like a 6" upslope surprise. Two days of hard snow with D-2" snow showers isn't my favorite this time of year haha...like wasted days.

What is for sure is the mountains won't be losing much snow this next week.

Nice yeah looks to be warming up by then. Tue/Wed will be rock hard bumps, lol. Highs below freezing up here in the base area both of those days... could be rugged unless we get like a 6" upslope surprise. Two days of hard snow with D-2" snow showers isn't my favorite this time of year haha...like wasted days.

What is for sure is the mountains won't be losing much snow this next week.

Yeah Tue/Wed will be some nasty ice mounds lol. I think Thursday could get pretty toasty especially around 2kft in the sun so Outer Limits may have some nice soft bumps by afternoon.

And yeah... not much snow loss at all. Would be nice to get a bit of upslope or even a surprise tonight to freshen up the trees. 

Yeah Tue/Wed will be some nasty ice mounds lol. I think Thursday could get pretty toasty especially around 2kft in the sun so Outer Limits may have some nice soft bumps by afternoon.

And yeah... not much snow loss at all. Would be nice to get a bit of upslope or even a surprise tonight to freshen up the trees. 

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it... haha.  I know I've been saying it in the spring/March threads, but I'm done with this weather.  Highs are in the teens in the higher elevations on Tue/Wed with lows in the single digits... oh and I love the NWS "windmill" icon for blustery on those days, too. 

I'm not a fan of having to put on a face-mask or gaiter at work in April, only to go ski rock hard snow that resembles the surface after a January rain-freeze event, lol.  Those look like days where skiers and riders will be thankful for what modern grooming can do, as the frozen ruts in the former mashed potatoes will not be overly enticing.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it... haha.  I know I've been saying it in the spring/March threads, but I'm done with this weather.  Highs are in the teens in the higher elevations on Tue/Wed with lows in the single digits... oh and I love the NWS "windmill" icon for blustery on those days, too. 

I'm not a fan of having to put on a face-mask or gaiter at work in April, only to go ski rock hard snow that resembles the surface after a January rain-freeze event, lol.  Those look like days where skiers and riders will be thankful for what modern grooming can do, as the frozen ruts in the former mashed potatoes will not be overly enticing.

Yeah not pleasant. Good for snow retention... bad for everything else. 

Yeah not pleasant. Good for snow retention... bad for everything else. 

But what you said about Thursday/Friday is true... this is the time of year when sunshine is just so important to conditions.  A sunny day in the mid-30s will soften better than a thick cloudy day in the low 40s, especially any aspect with a tilt to the south.  I mean once you get to like 50F+, it doesn't really matter, but if its locked up tight, cloudy and 40s can hold surprisingly firm.

But what you said about Thursday/Friday is true... this is the time of year when sunshine is just so important to conditions.  A sunny day in the mid-30s will soften better than a thick cloudy day in the low 40s, especially any aspect with a tilt to the south.  I mean once you get to like 50F+, it doesn't really matter, but if its locked up tight, cloudy and 40s can hold surprisingly firm.

Especially in April! Sun angle is about the same as Labor Day. You start tickling 30 and the snow softens like butter.

Archived