• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

Anybody think Sugarbush and that area will have significant wind holds tomorrow?

Don't make a trip decision based on what I say as I am far from an expert on this but I was at SB a few weeks ago when winds were similar to what is forecast for tomorrow (then they were mainly SE but similar speeds/gusts) and upper mountain lifts were on hold all day. There were wind holds but shorter-lived at MRG that day too. S is tough direction as those are crosswinds for most upper mountain lifts in that area.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't make a trip decision based on what I say as I am far from an expert on this but I was at SB a few weeks ago when winds were similar to what is forecast for tomorrow (then they were mainly SE but similar speeds/gusts) and upper mountain lifts were on hold all day. There were wind holds but shorter-lived at MRG that day too. S is tough direction as those are crosswinds for most upper mountain lifts in that area.

Yeah the direction is going to be difficult for some areas. Not the typical direction for a gusty day. 

Meanwhile I am fairly PO'd that the NWS forecasts for the coming week suggest NNE (moreso VT than ME) largely will skip the whole freeze-thaw cycle, not to mention probable non-snow precip and dearth of sun. With recent snowfall this could be a primo week for spring corn harvest but does not look meant to be. Not to mention what strong S winds plus non-frozen precip could do to the snowpack tomorrow. I guess the good news is apparently there's substantial model disagreement so there's still room for things to play out favorably for at least a day or two this week.

Heck of a day at Sugarbush.

Sun came out around 11 and it began to soften.  By lunchtime it was a bluebird. 

Moguls moguls moguls

Stein's looking up

Looking down

Pick your way down liftline.  It was the last day on the rock.  

Plenty of snow left in the woods off Paradise

It was my 15th day on the slopes this year.  Quota reached.

That may be it, but no regrets.  Better than average year for skiing.

Vast, vast areas left to explore next year.

This weekend was the last weekend for Stowe's Gondola and Spruce Peak areas... now we are down to 2 weeks with the FourRunner Quad, which is fine by me.  My favorite lift on the mountain with 2,100 vertical feet in 6.5 minutes, servicing some of the most unrelenting expert bump runs in the east.  Its a great spring lift.

Always bittersweet to start closing things down when the mountain is 100% open.  We can all feel the end is near, and alarm clocks won't be going off at 4am anymore in just two short weeks.  Always mixed emotions this time of year...sleeping in, more free time, etc.  Its been a good, long season that started on November 10th (the earliest Stowe has ever run lifts).   In the end it comes down to evaporating skiers, not evaporating snow.

Also bittersweet was pulling the 3,000ft snow board/stake with the Gondola closing.  The snow depth stake will need to be retrieved by 4-wheeler in June most likely, as that thing is locked in the snow/ice pack that is still 5-6 feet deep up on the mountain.  And if the natural snow depth is between 50-80 inches, just imagine what the snowmaking trails have on them ;)  It won't be long till the snowcats are dozing snow into the woods and off the work roads to start the summer projects. 

Gondola is now done, and you can still ski the glades to the base area.  Snow depths from 2-4 feet on the lower mountain and 4-7 feet on the upper mountain in the woods.  Not going anywhere anytime soon.

Some great last days carving it up this weekend off the Gondola. 

This weekend was the last weekend for Stowe's Gondola and Spruce Peak areas... now we are down to 2 weeks with the FourRunner Quad, which is fine by me. My favorite lift on the mountain with 2,100 vertical feet in 6.5 minutes, servicing some of the most unrelenting expert bump runs in the east. Its a great spring lift.

Always bittersweet to start closing things down when the mountain is 100% open. We can all feel the end is near, and alarm clocks won't be going off at 4am anymore in just two short weeks. Always mixed emotions this time of year...sleeping in, more free time, etc. Its been a good, long season that started on November 10th (the earliest Stowe has ever run lifts). In the end it comes down to evaporating skiers, not evaporating snow.

Also bittersweet was pulling the 3,000ft snow board/stake with the Gondola closing. The snow depth stake will need to be retrieved by 4-wheeler in June most likely, as that thing is locked in the snow/ice pack that is still 5-6 feet deep up on the mountain. And if the natural snow depth is between 50-80 inches, just imagine what the snowmaking trails have on them ;) It won't be long till the snowcats are dozing snow into the woods and off the work roads to start the summer projects.

Gondola is now done, and you can still ski the glades to the base area. Snow depths from 2-4 feet on the lower mountain and 4-7 feet on the upper mountain in the woods. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

Some great last days carving it up this weekend off the Gondola.

I have not seen my crew this depressed since the Jan thaw. Everything many described here is spot on....beach days on the snow. Cannon on Thur/Fri was simply epic....historic as a few local told me. My crew basically Thur thru Sat until last run leaving only the locals partying on Taft behind them.

I don't ski....and hung out the entire day at the mountain Sat which is quite rare if I am not working a race. Hanging out the the back deck, brews/food/new friends and old....it was awesome. My daughter made a new friend, he happens to also be an Olympic champion and quite appreciative of simple gestures.

PF...Stowe this year for my crew was pinnacle to the season. My oldest racer who had a tough start to the year found herself in Stowe and went home to wipe both girls and boys in her age group off the mountain. At Stowe my middle daughter who was transitioning from development to racing began to click and embrace speed rather than fear it. She chased her older sister on every inch of Mansfield for four straight days, it was like magic.

My son, our youngest, started out at 3yrs of age and just turned 8. You mentioned the epic bumps at Stowe....well not only did he become consumed by bashing the bumps he also loved the parks. The kid who never did a bump race in his life, let jumps at speed, entered himself into a bump bash and took 8th overall competitors.

While they loved hitting the most big mountains they ever skied in one season......and hope to return to all and experience new ones, there is only one place they are begging me to book now for next year, and it's Stowe.

Kudos to you and all the folks who work the slopes and have made this an epic season, one that will be etched in the minds of young and old, and be storied for years to come.

SP- That was an awesome post. I plan to be here next year so let me know if you come back up. If your kids want a local tour of the best snow that day and fun little things they may not find on the map, let me know. We can probably find something fun for them, like being in the photo of the day or something.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every time a ski resort closes for the season, it kills another little piece of my heart...i do not want to let this winter go, at all...i guess i don't understand how the rest of the population views skiing...once March rolls around, it seems like everyone forgets skiing even exists...for me, the urge to ski burns more furious in my mind and i find myself scrounging up pennies and trying to plan hit-and-run ski adventures because i can feel time is running out...but i guess the majority are like Blizz...the mind has transitioned from days and days of snow, to greening up the lawn and washing the car...

I, on the other hand, will ski at least one more day before this season is all said and done...VIVA LA NIEVA!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every time a ski resort closes for the season, it kills another little piece of my heart...i do not want to let this winter go, at all...i guess i don't understand how the rest of the population views skiing...once March rolls around, it seems like everyone forgets skiing even exists...for me, the urge to ski burns more furious in my mind and i find myself scrounging up pennies and trying to plan hit-and-run ski adventures because i can feel time is running out...but i guess the majority are like Blizz...the mind has transitioned from days and days of snow, to greening up the lawn and washing the car...

I, on the other hand, will ski at least one more day before this season is all said and done...VIVA LA NIEVA!!!

Yeah, that's why alot of places shut down-not conditions, but folks turn to other things.   Out in Colorado, they could go to June most years and instead, they close mid April.

-

Some great pictures in here.  I didn't get to ski New England this year, which is too bad given the good conditions.  (I did get 4 days out west, so I'll call that a win)

Once it softened up top yes.  Spring skiing is such a mood enhancer.  So hard not to grin ear to ear while you're there.

I was there a few weeks ago for two days under spring conditions sunny mid-40s talk about a fun mountain to ski. Soft bumps everywhere with lots of smiles. That's what Spring skiing is all about. 

Could anyone give me an idea of what the mountains of NW Conn up into the southern Berks looks like atm?  I'm planning a 20-25 mile hike on that section of the Appalachian trail this weekend, so any info would be greatly appreciated.  I realize there is going do be some drastic changes between now and saturday with the warmer temps and rain, but the present conditions would give me a better idea of what to expect.  Thanks!

Thanks PF!

As for the thinning crowds, no doubt that causes the closures even as the snow remains. Heck, even in PA things could have kept going with fine conditions but the crowds are simply too thin and the expenses to even partially open (limited lifts) is too high. They need buses and cars full of people, cash spending customers. We season pass holder certainly pay up early but often do not utilize the food and other special services. However, we often try to make up for that at the bar ;)

I'm tight with our local manager and its a struggle, not to mention that there are two known issues, regardless of conditions. First is families tend to have new commitments involving their kids....spring athletics, and second even his own crew has stop dates to begin other jobs. 

The conditions of last week were simply amazing in NH, and most of NE. I am happy to have invested the time and effort to allow my family to experience it. I was just looking at a few of the pics and videos.  Priceless!!

Everyone has hit the nail on the head with evaporating skiers vs. evaporating snow.  From my standpoint, its always a catch-22 this time of year... promoting the fact that we still have a ton of snow and the skiing is freakin' awesome, while at the same time saying we are closing parts of the mountain and only have 2 weeks left of the season.  But the business volume just isn't there, even the passholders don't come out unless the weather is perfect (like this afternoon).  They'll all ski in the pouring rain in December but won't ski on a cloudy day in April with 100% open.

Just the cycle of the industry... in the fall, its much easier to bend over backward to open early (from a business standpoint) when compared with staying open late.  You know that money is well spent early in the season because thousands of people will come to ski/ride the white ribbon of death in November, but could just care less if there is a 6-foot natural snowpack and everything is skiable in April.  Its just the way it works. 

It has been a great season though... pretty average snowfall (a tick below average actually) but snowpack was always solid and ran right around normal until recently when its now above normal.  Average snowfall is fine...its still a lot of snow and lots of powder days.  I'd repeat this season in a heart beat even though we missed most of the big events to the south.  We still get our sleeper storms and upslope days when it snows a foot overnight and no one outside a few ski areas in northern VT gets anything.  I'm very content with this season though... I'm near 130 days on the slopes and will certainly ski each day the next two weeks.  With a few hiking days, I'll hit 150 easy.  As long as I can get to almost half a year with literally every day spent on snow, I'm happy.

Archived