• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

Oh yeah it is all good along the Green Mountain spine... but especially SB/MRG/Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs/Jay.  Those are the spots with the highest annual snowfall in New England and it shows in these upslope patterns. 

The Mansfield stake went up to 82" today (not on the graph yet), so we are now sitting above normal for snowpack.  It may not have been the best winter but it looks like it may shake out fairly average after this recent burst of winter.

But the bottom line is that everything is skiable...the mountains are skiing huge because the trees between every single trail, the backcountry, even low elevation stuff is all skiable.  Heck I have over a foot of snow on my lawn and hedges, and it looks like mid-January with fluffy, cold snowflakes falling out there.  None of this late-March half-melted wet snow...this is cold mid-winter snow & snowpack.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Told ya I bring the snow.....and it never left!!  ;) 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time Killington made June was 2002. They have made it 9 times in the last 23 years. The majority of the last 23 years Killington closed on or after the 3rd week of May. Now they have the umbrella bars which changes the equation.

They just haven't made the effort lately, and even when they had a decent amount of snow due to cold temps in early may a couple years back they shut down on a scheduled date.  I think the big diff this year is the return to stockpiling snow and trying to milk every possible day.

We have had more snow in the past 10 days than we did the entire month of January.  Pretty amazing turn-around, especially considering we were shut-out in the first half of March when SNE got that big storm. 

Cut-off big upper level lows rotating energy around and around and around is the way to go up here.  Days and days of upslope enhanced snowfall.

Nice to hear as i'm heading up to Sugarbush Wed-Thur. Temps are looking great,  upper 30s should be some awesome Spring skiing. Read on their site they received 2 feet in the past week.

Another day of suffering through the 32" that has fallen in the past week ;)

Some turns are ridiculously deep... like you slam chest first into drifts in the woods.  Sometimes its hard to even find the bottom (which is the crust layer from like 2 weeks ago).

63991_10151302212917382_1537758523_n.jpg

What a mind boggling difference compared to the Southern Greens! I rode Stratton this weekend which was epic, but we had a few inches of fresh powder. It snowed 4 inches at the summit Friday night so Saturday morning was the best day of the season. (so says my friend that lives there) But just nothing on that level. Seems like everyone that was lucky enough to be in the Greens last weekend scored north or south though!

Just got back from skiing Killington and Pico for 9 days in a row. It was mindbogglingly good!! Powder days on 3/16, 3/19-3/21 and 3/23. The big storm on 3/19-20 dropped 18". Because it was mid week few were there the powder lasted all day. Pico is closed tues/wed so Thursday was untracked powder there. Then we got an unexpected 7" Friday night. March skiing does not get better than that. The coverage is excellent. With the rock solid ice base from the rain and subsequent freeze the previous week you can currently ski anywhere on the mountain that you dare. I can't wait to go back next weekend with fresh legs.

Just got back from skiing Killington and Pico for 9 days in a row. It was mindbogglingly good!! Powder days on 3/16, 3/19-3/21 and 3/23. The big storm on 3/19-20 dropped 18". Because it was mid week few were there the powder lasted all day. Pico is closed tues/wed so Thursday was untracked powder there. Then we got an unexpected 7" Friday night. March skiing does not get better than that. The coverage is excellent. With the rock solid ice base from the rain and subsequent freeze the previous week you can currently ski anywhere on the mountain that you dare. I can't wait to go back next weekend with fresh legs.

Devils Fiddle must have been open. 

Devils Fiddle must have been open.

My favorite trail on that mountain. My dad was a pass holder at Killington during the ASC days, and I remember going there in the spring of 2001 when the epic snowpack had pretty much buried that entire little cliff band in the middle of the trail.

The Fiddle is a much better run than Outter Limits, IMO.

Love the graph.  72" plus at the summit FTW.

Its at 82" now ;)

BTV calling for a great weekend of spring skiing... make your plans now.

SOME GREAT SPRING SKIING WEATHER AND POTENTIALLY FAVORABLE MAPLESUGARING LATE WEEK/WEEKEND...ALTHOUGH SOME SUNSHINE AND MILDERDAYTIME TEMPS WOULD BE PREFERRED.

Strangley, the tix at $10 on their site for tonight now. Yesterday they had $5 tix...

And Weds night tix are $10 too.

They are on drugs I think

I expect a big crowd this Sat. Partly sunny high 40s, soft snow, sunshine, music, beer and food on the deck.  Always a good time. 

What a fantastic year. The groomers are ultra fast, the woods are soft and the jumps are huge.

That's a great video... they do a good job with those.

Looks like we've got more snow coming in... upslope flow gets cranking tomorrow afternoon and evening.  BTV thinking 2-4/3-6" type deal for our local favored spots.

That's a great video... they do a good job with those.

Looks like we've got more snow coming in... upslope flow gets cranking tomorrow afternoon and evening. BTV thinking 2-4/3-6" type deal for our local favored spots.

attachicon.gif http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=95361]spring.jpg[/url]

Nice will be up for more soon. Been skiing the third week of March at SR for 28 years straight, my best and most skiing ever last week. Hundreds of runs, out at 845 in at 1630 5 straight days no breaks other than a woods pee or a water break. Felt like I was 25 again, I was actually back in the woods again after a long hiatus due to injuries. Every ski trip I have been on this year starting in Feb like I always do has been fantastic for skiing I give winter an A for home A- , great storms .

Archived