• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

Do not slip and fall... do not slip and fall (that was all I was thinking while taking this picture, while out on the "Kitchen Wall" next to and above some very large cliffs)...

IMG_4697_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4700_edited-3.jpg

IMG_4705_edited-1.jpg

Waist deep and wearing a peacoat... on a powder day you ski in whatever jacket you have if you forgot the parka, lol.

IMG_4715_edited-2.jpg

IMG_4742_edited-2.jpg

Fun terrain... the Mansfield backcountry is hard to beat.

IMG_4756_edited-2.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing photos powderfreak!   I just showed them to my ski team over breakfast.  My seven year old was wondering if you would adopt him? He trained on the bumps and parks at Stowe in Feb and rocked the bump fest at our mountain a few weeks ago. Frankly, the stuff he is doing is freaking me out and its not just the bumps....its the speed and JUMPS!  When he saw the back country photos he went nuts, lets go Daddy!!

Anyway, they will get one last ride at Cannon during spring break. I would have loved to return to Stowe but could not coordinate the fittings and visits with the local racing assets.  So it looks like we will just have to visit during harvest. Oh darn, cider and hiking.

Enjoy!!!

Wachusett skiing as good as it can. Hard to believe it is late March. Littlest member of our family is now riding the lifts. Awesome week for her.

why more people don't get out there I don't understand. No crowds, good deals, great snow, late. Sunsets...

Perfect night. ( best parking spot on the mountain tonight, too!)

Nice shots PF, even better than normal which is saying something.

Had my own powder day at MRG on Wednesday.  18" fresh in the morning with sun, followed by heavy snow and 3-6" by last chair.

There's just something about that place... it's revealed to you as you ride up either chair.  Wall to wall. Trails are more like suggestions.  Hard to remember where I've been and little concern for where I'm headed.  It's going to be steep.  It's going to be bumpy.  Cliffs and icefalls are likely, air is mandatory at times.  You can get hurt out there, and I did, but it's a price worth paying.  Everything about General Stark is tough and so must you be.  Experts surround you and demand respect.  Moms and small daughters launching off rock faces.  Hippies and corporate types sharing the peace pipe.  And most of all, the ubiquitous smiles, the infestation of cheshire cats, and the pervasive joie de vivre.

post-992-0-50628300-1364005668_thumb.png

Nice shots PF, even better than normal which is saying something.

Had my own powder day at MRG on Wednesday. 18" fresh in the morning with sun, followed by heavy snow and 3-6" by last chair.

There's just something about that place... it's revealed to you as you ride up either chair. Wall to wall. Trails are more like suggestions. Hard to remember where I've been and little concern for where I'm headed. It's going to be steep. It's going to be bumpy. Cliffs and icefalls are likely, air is mandatory at times. You can get hurt out there, and I did, but it's a price worth paying. Everything about General Stark is tough and so must you be. Experts surround you and demand respect. Moms and small daughters launching off rock faces. Hippies and corporate types sharing the peace pipe. And most of all, the ubiquitous smiles, the infestation of cheshire cats, and the pervasive joie de vivre.

mrg_sun2.png

mrg_sun5.png

mrg_snow6.png

mrg_snow3.png

mrg_p3.png

mrg_snow1.png

mrg_p4.png

Great pics of the thread OP and very representative of an Epic March.

Epic powdah

We have had more snow in the past 10 days than we did the entire month of January.  Pretty amazing turn-around, especially considering we were shut-out in the first half of March when SNE got that big storm. 

Cut-off big upper level lows rotating energy around and around and around is the way to go up here.  Days and days of upslope enhanced snowfall.

We have had more snow in the past 10 days than we did the right entire month of January. Pretty amazing turn-around, especially considering we were shut-out in the first half of March when SNE got that big storm.

Cut-off big upper level lows rotating energy around and around and around is the way to go up here. Days and days of upslope enhanced snowfall.

yeah I agree, MRG looks great too as I am sure Sugarbush does. Anyone who loves winter wether to play or just see should seriously consider a weekend away.

yeah I agree, MRG looks great too as I am sure Sugarbush does. Anyone who loves winter wether to play or just see should seriously consider a weekend away.

Oh yeah it is all good along the Green Mountain spine... but especially SB/MRG/Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs/Jay.  Those are the spots with the highest annual snowfall in New England and it shows in these upslope patterns. 

The Mansfield stake went up to 82" today (not on the graph yet), so we are now sitting above normal for snowpack.  It may not have been the best winter but it looks like it may shake out fairly average after this recent burst of winter.

But the bottom line is that everything is skiable...the mountains are skiing huge because the trees between every single trail, the backcountry, even low elevation stuff is all skiable.  Heck I have over a foot of snow on my lawn and hedges, and it looks like mid-January with fluffy, cold snowflakes falling out there.  None of this late-March half-melted wet snow...this is cold mid-winter snow & snowpack.

Oh yeah it is all good along the Green Mountain spine... but especially SB/MRG/Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs/Jay. Those are the spots with the highest annual snowfall in New England and it shows in these upslope patterns.

The Mansfield stake went up to 82" today (not on the graph yet), so we are now sitting above normal for snowpack. It may not have been the best winter but it looks like it may shake out fairly average after this recent burst of winter.

But the bottom line is that everything is skiable...the mountains are skiing huge because the trees between every single trail, the backcountry, even low elevation stuff is all skiable. Heck I have over a foot of snow on my lawn and hedges, and it looks like mid-January with fluffy, cold snowflakes falling out there. None of this late-March half-melted wet snow...this is cold mid-winter snow & snowpack.

Untitled.png

yep unreal

Skied the past 8 days at Pico/Killington. It's been off the hook! Wednesday was epic. I have never seen Superstar looking like it does now let alone the last week of March. There are events planned until 5/5 and rumors that the minimum goal is to stay open until the third week of may with the possibility of a lift turning in June again in play.

seriously?

when? I want to ski here more than anything in the world!

They have off the week after Easter so we will check out the forecast and plan our trip around it. The forecast for Cannon this coming week looks amazing, wish we had this one off.  We also have invites to killington and stowe.  I want to take them to the White's for spring...many options surrounding cannon and we will be in Stowe and Killington early next season for training weeks.

Archived