joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow those Loaf pictures look really nice.  One place I've never been and I'll have to make the pilgrimage sometime.  What does it take from out this way like 6 and a half hours or something?

Was there last Tues (Rain uhgg) takes me 6 1/2-7 hrs from LI, pretty sweet place

Heading to SR now.

Wow those Loaf pictures look really nice.  One place I've never been and I'll have to make the pilgrimage sometime.  What does it take from out this way like 6 and a half hours or something?

You can either do 91N to St Johnsbury and take 2E all the way to Rt 27. Less miles but lots of secondary roads.

I go MA 2, E from Greenfield to 495 to 95 to 27 from Augusta.   5 - 6 hours depending on stops and travel time. Much easier highway driving but a little boring.   Overnight stay is mandatory. 

The Loaf is still my favorite NE mountain (still have not done Stowe and a bunch of others), but it has been quite a while since I have been there.

I still remember the old (and scary) Gondola... yikes

Wachusett has $5 tix for this Tuesday and next if you order online. Plus, they are doing the 10PM hours again this Weds-Saturday, and maybe beyone.

Awesome season....

I haven't been to WaWa yet this year...but I may have to go this Friday night for some night skiing with the conditions almost certain to be great and the mountain open until 10pm again. Kind of no excuse being 15 minutes up the road.

What a treat the late season skiing is going to be this year.

The Loaf is still my favorite NE mountain (still have not done Stowe and a bunch of others), but it has been quite a while since I have been there.

I still remember the old (and scary) Gondola... yikes

Wachusett has $5 tix for this Tuesday and next if you order online. Plus, they are doing the 10PM hours again this Weds-Saturday, and maybe beyone.

Awesome season....

They will never repalce the old Gondi either.  Several independent studies said the mountain is just too windy for a high profile lift.  They do need to upgrade at least one more lift to a SuperQuad to improve the uphill capacity but Boyne puts more $$ into SR.

Stowe and S'Loaf are in a class by themselves.  The Loaf will be massive once the expansion is done though.

Maybe next year I can finally put together a weekend for Am Wx NE board members at my brothers house.

With the toddler, my brothers schedule and other stuff couldn't get it together this year.  (Our banned bretheren will be on the invite list. lol)

post-919-0-59069800-1363644633_thumb.jpg

spent a few hrs at wawa this morning. It was awesome, March 20th and it was hard pressed to find any ice. Entire mtn was open on a 3-4' base. 

That looks great. I assume the non-snow making trails are open right now too like balance rock? I just might be up there on Friday...conditions too good to pass up...esp for this time of year.

Sugarloaf was mid-winter conditions saturday and sunday.

Heading up into the King Pine Bowl:

attachicon.gifkpbowl.jpg

Riding the Timberline lift to the summit.  Had about 2" fresh snow at the top.

attachicon.giftmbrline.jpg

View of the Bigelow Range:

attachicon.gifbigelows.jpg

Looking down into the Brackett Basin Glades which were closed but should be epic after tomorrow:

attachicon.gifbrbasin.jpg

Very jealous. Hope to get there mid-April after Reggae Fest.

That looks great. I assume the non-snow making trails are open right now too like balance rock? I just might be up there on Friday...conditions too good to pass up...esp for this time of year.

Yes balance rock is open as well as ropers road and all the salamander trails between conifer and 10th.  Skiing in mid-winter conditions on March 20th at Wachusett is a rarity. Hard to believe a year ago at this time, they were closed for the season. 

Balance Rock, Ropers, and Salamander close at sundown. No lighting

But the mountain is open until 10PM thru Saturday

Yes balance rock is open as well as ropers road and all the salamander trails between conifer and 10th. Skiing in mid-winter conditions on March 20th at Wachusett is a rarity. Hard to believe a year ago at this time, they were closed for the season.

Tons of trails (not legal of course) in the woods, too. We did the little salamander roads, trails the other day. First time in 2 years

Just read Cannon had 2ft through the week?  Heading up there after Easter :)

This is the time of year my family request me to relocate to VT or NH.  Where they can go to an academy, ski everyday and I can drive around in various toys.

Enjoy the pow and energized bases.......hope next week is a dump and repeat for ya all!

Just got back from taking the dog out for his run decided to hit High Ridge Wildlife Management Area with my snow shoes. Beautiful day out there today. 35 degrees sun filtering through the clouds good 12-18" of snow depth more in the woods. Great day for a walk in the snow. 

Yes balance rock is open as well as ropers road and all the salamander trails between conifer and 10th.  Skiing in mid-winter conditions on March 20th at Wachusett is a rarity. Hard to believe a year ago at this time, they were closed for the season. 

That sounds great. I really wish I would have gotten out this season more...esp up north, but I'll take great conditions at WaWa as a consolation prize. It really amazing how much like mid winter it feels.

Archived