• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

It's terrible that most people are so clueless about how good it is in spring. The warm sunny weather and tailgating are fun. Its great to be on snow without a face mask and in sunglasses instead of goggles. Unfortunately many people can't ski slush. Just like powder, you can't fake it. You have to be strong. You have to be able to carve turns and ski bumps. I know people who ski quite a bit but really can only ski groomed packed powder and ice because they skid all their turns. I think that is why it's mostly pass holders. You have to have really put your time in. We are on day 66 and still going strong.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after 5 months of driving up to n.vt and skiing at every opportunity, even I am in need of a break. I was physically exhausted this weekend. While spring skiing is great, there are just a million things that need to be done around the house, not to mention the kids spring sports starting up. All of the families we know who commute religiously to ski every weekend are onto other things. We will get a couple more days in before the end of the month, but I am more than satisfied with my winter. Conditions were good and I reached my threshold of powder days. I could always use more "epic" powder days but all in all, it was a good year.

It's terrible that most people are so clueless about how good it is in spring. The warm sunny weather and tailgating are fun. Its great to be on snow without a face mask and in sunglasses instead of goggles. Unfortunately many people can't ski slush. Just like powder, you can't fake it. You have to be strong. You have to be able to carve turns and ski bumps. I know people who ski quite a bit but really can only ski groomed packed powder and ice because they skid all their turns. I think that is why it's mostly pass holders. You have to have really put your time in. We are on day 66 and still going strong.

Tru dat about it requiring strength. My legs are shot after the last 2 weeks or so.

I think I skid my turns though... I should take lessons. I probably went around 40 times this season. Enjoy the rest of the season!

Tru dat about it requiring strength. My legs are shot after the last 2 weeks or so.

I think I skid my turns though... I should take lessons. I probably went around 40 times this season. Enjoy the rest of the season!

well, i have my own style of skiing, sans poles...its not very pretty...i do need a lesson, or 5, LOL! but however you ski, or make your way down from top to bottom....i sure did have some fun on the slopes this year...

Kudos to anyone out there having fun. I certainly meant no offense. But I do think aside from the fact that people give up due to families and yards, a lot of people don't like to ski slush and as a result quit. I hear people saying that the snow is too wet, sticky, slushy etc a lot.

I think slush is an acquired taste in ski conditions. Next to a powder day I like a hot slushy day next best. The moguls are particularly fun when its hot out. As it transitions from set up frozen (from overnight) to wet slush there is a sort of grabby period during the morning sometimes. It's best to sit that hour out and wait for the real "water skiing".

I think if more people got out and experienced that the mountains would have enough customers to stay open longer. I was just trying to point out that people tend to try to push the snow around with their legs and as a result get tired and decide they don't like slush/spring skiing. Instead it's best to try to keep your speed up and slice/carve the snow.

It would be great if more people realized just how much fun that is. Killington is committed to staying open until 5/5. Then they may try weekends until either there is no snow or no skiers. The President of Killington has indicated a willingness to try for June. Potentially that means almost 2 months more of skiing. I highly recommend trying out some slush skiing if you've never tried it. There is plenty time left in this ski season.

Kudos to anyone out there having fun. I certainly meant no offense. But I do think aside from the fact that people give up due to families and yards, a lot of people don't like to ski slush and as a result quit. I hear people saying that the snow is too wet, sticky, slushy etc a lot.

I think slush is an acquired taste in ski conditions. Next to a powder day I like a hot slushy day next best. The moguls are particularly fun when its hot out. As it transitions from set up frozen (from overnight) to wet slush there is a sort of grabby period during the morning sometimes. It's best to sit that hour out and wait for the real "water skiing".

I think if more people got out and experienced that the mountains would have enough customers to stay open longer. I was just trying to point out that people tend to try to push the snow around with their legs and as a result get tired and decide they don't like slush/spring skiing. Instead it's best to try to keep your speed up and slice/carve the snow.

It would be great if more people realized just how much fun that is. Killington is committed to staying open until 5/5. Then they may try weekends until either there is no snow or no skiers. The President of Killington has indicated a willingness to try for June. Potentially that means almost 2 months more of skiing. I highly recommend trying out some slush skiing if you've never tried it. There is plenty time left in this ski season.

I could not agree more, my best experience ever with these slush conditions was last year at 85 degrees in shorts and a tee shirt. It's surreal and tons of fun, speed and carving.

after 5 months of driving up to n.vt and skiing at every opportunity, even I am in need of a break. I was physically exhausted this weekend. While spring skiing is great, there are just a million things that need to be done around the house, not to mention the kids spring sports starting up. All of the families we know who commute religiously to ski every weekend are onto other things. We will get a couple more days in before the end of the month, but I am more than satisfied with my winter. Conditions were good and I reached my threshold of powder days. I could always use more "epic" powder days but all in all, it was a good year.

Yeah its just the way it works.  I know there will always be that set of people (heck I was one of them) that wants ski areas to be open from the first patch of snow to the last.  I used to really be bummed when places closed.  When I was in high school I was still driving to Killington every weekend in May.  However, living a couple miles away, I've found to really enjoy the "second season" which is the uphill traffic season.  Once the ski areas close around here, everyone hikes/skins for it.  Its a great pre-summer workout, you can take the dog, get a nice tan on the way up, and then ski down with friends.  I really enjoy those days when everyone skins to the top, has a cold PBR in the sun on an empty mountain, and then all ski down together with the dogs in chase. 

Then you can drive back down the road into town and go mountain biking or golfing or something. 

Can't blame the folks that need to travel to skiing though.  You go in the winter because well, what else are you going to do at home all weekend in January?  But come April when its warming up, grass is greening up, you can stay home and go enjoy the outdoors at kids sporting events, golfing, yard clean up, etc.  Its probably much easier to tell a wife that you will be going skiing because there's snow in the yard and you won't get anything done anyway.  Rather than this time of year when your wife is wondering why you wasted a beautiful 60 degree Saturday and your yard is the only one in the neighborhood that looks like crap, lol.

That's kind of funny. My husband(!) and I travel 300 miles round trip every weekend. We have not been home on a Saturday/sunday since 10/8. I don't understand the "wives" comment.

Sorry bout that...I just have wayyy too many ski buddies ranging from late 20s to their 50s and they all tend to run into wife issues by the end of the season, lol.

Your husband is a very lucky guy. Granted there are plenty of ripping Stowe moms, but towards the end of the season, the diehards definitely are skewed towards the male end of the spectrum, at least up here.

Sorry bout that...I just have wayyy too many ski buddies ranging from late 20s to their 50s and they all tend to run into wife issues by the end of the season, lol.

Your husband is a very lucky guy. Granted there are plenty of ripping Stowe moms, but towards the end of the season, the diehards definitely are skewed towards the male end of the spectrum, at least up here.

not here either.  The wife is hardcore.  When I bailed on friday, she took the kids and drove up herself.

not here either.  The wife is hardcore.  When I bailed on friday, she took the kids and drove up herself.

Sounds like mine and my kids, they are right there with her.

Me, I drive roughly 10-12k miles per season. Through blizzards, squalls, ice , rain and of course my favorite, grapple (scary part is that described just one day on the road ;) ) Good thing I love to drive.  My mission during the off season is to figure out how to increase the storage capacity for 2013/14. I really do not want to trailer.

Me, I drive roughly 10-12k miles per season. Through blizzards, squalls, ice , rain and of course my favorite, grapple (scary part is that described just one day on the road ;) ) Good thing I love to drive. My mission during the off season is to figure out how to increase the storage capacity for 2013/14. I really do not want to trailer.

I like driving too, otherwise I couldn't handle it.

As far a storage capacity, cargo boxes are of course great. Either on top, or on a hitch platform.

Me, I drive roughly 10-12k miles per season. Through blizzards, squalls, ice , rain and of course my favorite, grapple (scary part is that described just one day on the road ;) ) Good thing I love to drive. My mission during the off season is to figure out how to increase the storage capacity for 2013/14. I really do not want to trailer.

I like driving too, otherwise I couldn't handle it.

As far a storage capacity, cargo boxes are of course great. Either on top, or on a hitch platform.

Have a 21cu roof box. It's awesome. Problem is as the kids grow so does the gear. Considering a hitch platform as one option. Looking at ex proof box because in the winter so much crap gets kicked up.

It's been a great season, I may have one more ski day next week at K. Overall I skied more this season than I have in 25yrs. Of course getting laid off in Jan after working for the same employer for 23yrs allowed me to ski a lot and I took full advantage of it. It seemed like the snowpack stayed with us and continued to build all season making it awesome especially Feb-March where we had some epic ski days. I guess it's time for me to find a job. 

Killington yesterday was good.   Vertigo headwall especially had a big bare spot on the steepest face, but for the most part was wall to wall heavy duty bumps. 

I prefer my moguls volkswagen sized and a bit further apart.  Massive mounds.  These were smaller and spaced very close together, perfect for the true mogul rippers who point em just skip from one to the next.  Too much outdoor basketball in my younger days and I don't have the knees for that.  Quite jarring.  Also I brought the 205 Salomon Force 9s from the early 90s which were difficult to pivot that quickly compared to the 160cm (or less) skis that some of the really good dudes and dudettes had.  But it was fun all the same and even got some woods skiing in on this late date.  As usual the mound on Superstar is huge and isn't going anywhere for a long time.  In fact there's a ton of terrain that will stay good for a while.

Today on the other hand it was earn your turns day.  My annual trek up the real Beast.  They've been closed for 2 weeks but the snow is still quite solid.   It's not a huge hill, but steep the whole way with not a lot of breaks.  Brought the wifey on her snowboard and the brother in law with a sled! 

The weather was perfect.  Alternating light snow squalls and sun, with a breeze to keep from sweating.  Felt great to get to the top and relax.

We saw 2 others doing the same thing.   It was a fantastic run down.  Soft, about an inch on top from the sleet.  Competition was a bit steep for the sledder, but Big Chief was perfect and he was able to steer that thing from the summit all the way to the bottom.  Said it was the best sled ride of his life lol.  For me, it was wide armed swoops, beaming, high angle turns.  Soaking it all up.

Nice report radarman...I love "third season" and hiking for it once the lifts close. Looking forward to that in a week.

Driving in this morning I was amazed at how light it is at 530am, and Mansfield was just glowing from the rime and snow from the past few days. Hard to believe another season is almost in the books.

Looks like I picked the wrong year to go to Utah. After a terrible March it looked like we weren't even going to make it to last year's 389", but a pretty decent April has brought us into a tie which we should surpass soon. Despite the below normal snowfall, was still the best skiing ever by far. On a whole other plane. Looks like the east did better than last year too, but not great.

Looks like I picked the wrong year to go to Utah. After a terrible March it looked like we weren't even going to make it to last year's 389", but a pretty decent April has brought us into a tie which we should surpass soon. Despite the below normal snowfall, was still the best skiing ever by far. On a whole other plane. Looks like the east did better than last year too, but not great.

Had so many great trips / memories at Alta in late 80's and early 90's.

I need to go back soon.

Ripping up the spring bumps on the upper headwalls in mid-April is pretty awesome.  The uppers of the Front Four sometimes only open for a couple days some seasons, this year we've been skiing them for months it seems.

They are always the first to melt with the steep, rocky pitches, but its skiing so good right now.

Here's Tim Kelley hammering down Upper Goat today...

Loving the spring skiing lately...

Only 3 days left in the operating season... then its time for third season (skinning).  There'll be snow for quite some time on this mountain.

This is the Lookout trail and its always the first to melt due to a lot of rocky ledges.  This is actually pretty awesome coverage for this trail in mid-April.

Archived