• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

A big factor is wind direction. You don't want wind blowing across the line. Up or down the line is less bad. So you really need to look at exposures and wind direction as well as speed.

deinitely helps to not take be taking the wind broad side.

newer lifts have windspeed gauges to measure things- and they shut/slow down when a threshold is reach (probably dependent on the chair).

i believe some places can continue in high wind operations, loading every other chair or running half speed. PF's job probably involves working with wind/wind holds. maybe he can chime in on that.

as skivt stated, it really depends on aspect. direction of wind plays a big role. smuggs and stowe more or less oppose one another, winds can adversely affect one more than the other. the aspect (azimuth) and topography/exposure of individual lifts plays relative to the prevailing wind plays a major role.

example: Madonna one at smuggs and the freezer/flyer at Jay are pretty exposed lifts to the NW- not all that fun when winds pick up.

Sugarbush and Stowe have a good spread of lifts that, at least I've found, can keep the skiing going when the winds pick up. I wouldn't be too concerned going to either resort- they'll figure out how to keep things spinning in all but the worst.

a pretty solid lift for wind is the single chair at MRG- can really take a wind beating, being small and low. they planned that thing right back in the day.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice shots. seemed after J spin's observations last night that the snow was picking up and the overnight would produce as it did.

looking at the smuggs website, their trail count is up (not nearly as much as stowe). a little less of the dense snow earlier in the week fell at smuggs, and they don't have as modern/expansive a snowmaking system- so they're a bit behind. that, and they don't have as many trails.

the black hole (yes, THE triple black diamond) is open according to their website. the wind must have loaded it up some if I had to guess as nothing else is open around it, and it falls away from the liftline to the lee of the NW winds.

Today was one of those days when u could do no wrong (well, except for the full face plant i did on a water bar hidden under the powder). The kind of day you live for.

Amen. It was hard charging pow all day long. Definitely some early season snow snakes under there and I took a solid core shot that will require some work, but it doesn't matter. These were the days we wait all summer for. It was so nice to see all the natural snow expert terrain opening up (looks exactly the same at Sugarbush, in fact I think the trail count is the same tomorrow, lol) and being able to get onto steeper, more technical terrain rather than just skiing the same groomed intermediate cruisers that have dominated the season up until now.

Sugarbush was awsome today, almost bluebird in the morning then the storm clouds came and before 12 it started coming down. Speaking of face plants my son took one, wasnt actually a plant more like a face plow for a good 20 feet right through a few feet of powder. Seems there was a very deep depression, AKA a stream,.. that the skis caught and he ejected out of both head first skimming across the snow.

142404.jpg

Looks like a picked a goot time to head up north :snowman:

I'm heading up to sugarbush on fri or sat. I think there's no way to lose in this setup. The fresh synoptic snow should be down on top of the current snow pack followed by more upslope fluff and another possible synoptic storm on the 30th + possible upslope after that depending on track.

Such a great looking pattern for ski areas in VT, so pumped.

You guys want to know real life truth of how much a snowy forecast impacts bookings? 2 days ago rooms were open almost everywhere we looked for the 27th-29th....we were going to head up a few days early. Waited on the forecast. Literally Sunday River had plenty of openings, north Conway area, White Mountain, etc etc. GONE today. There isn't a room really anywhere now.

Soon as the snow forecast clicked in everyone filled. Cool.

It doesn't appear to want to stop snowing.

That makes like 3 days of skiing fresh powder in a row, and 5 in the last week. Mother Nature could not have timed it any better for the holiday period. Plus we get a resurfacing dump on Thursday to freshen conditions up for the second half of the holiday period. Pinch me.

20699_10151144201157382_1436497884_n.jpg

603326_10151144201297382_204700315_n.jpg

419495_10151144201532382_1125095328_n.jpg312696_10151144201452382_231698350_n.jpg46401_10151144201677382_835154228_n.jpg

Sweet pics guys.

Took a rare trip to Sugarbush North. No crowds, maybe 4-6" the night before of light and sweet.

Top was mostly in the wispy clouds, but elsewhere sunshine. Always loved the view of Upper FIS in profile... it's impressive in pitch and exposure.

But Lower FIS was where it was at today. They must've dropped the line in the morning because early on it was nearly untracked boot deep bliss. The hike out scared people off so it stayed good all day, and even as it got ripped up you could blast right through all the same.

(Sorry, pic is hardly up to par in this thread)

People are going to make a HUGE deal about this storm skiing wise. Truth is, it's not that great skiing snow. Good for base building but it's thicker and denser. Little sticky actually. Needs to dry out with some colder air. Then it will be tops.

Yeah is was a bit sticky and dense. Certainly not concrete but definitely not super fluffy. By early afternoon, with the crowds and wind, it got pretty tough to ski in (plus my legs were shot).

Looking forward to tomorrow. Will need to throw some cruisers into the mix... can't do straight powder all day!

Yeah is was a bit sticky and dense. Certainly not concrete but definitely not super fluffy. By early afternoon, with the crowds and wind, it got pretty tough to ski in (plus my legs were shot).

Looking forward to tomorrow. Will need to throw some cruisers into the mix... can't do straight powder all day!

That stuff will air out tonight plus some upslope. Cruisers and Groomers will be fast and furious, sucks about the crowds but its better than being where I am.

We got crushed here. Havent had a chance to measure. Skiing was great but definitely dense and a little sticky.

Yeah you guys definitely got a decent bit more in the I-89 corridor and south. I didn't really see a lot of the radar overnight and this morning, but there was certainly some banding in that area stretching up towards BTV.

Anyway, the skiing and riding in the Green Mountains is off the hook right now. 55" in the past 12 days on Mansfield.

Archived