• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

PF, I can't tell you how much your passion to ski reminds me myself in my 20's. I skied about 20 days a year until graduated college and promptly moved to summit county CO in 92 on a one year plan of "clearing my head". It ended up being 7 seasons.

I was addicted like a drug and I'm sure you feel the same way. I averaged over 100 days a year and worked for keystone so I had a pass to A basin, breck, and Vail too but I spent most of my days at A basin. We hiked all over the place and skied backcountry. Best damn 7 years of my life.

It took its toll on me. Nothing very serious but a lot of things added up to calling it at 29 years old. I'm not sure if you're tied down in VT but if you can do it, spend a year or 2 out West before the wear and tear catches up to you. It's life changing out there in so many ways. I still daydream about it regularly and its been 13 years since I left.

Keep up with the pics! Love the powder stuff.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PF, I can't tell you how much your passion to ski reminds me myself in my 20's. I skied about 20 days a year until graduated college and promptly moved to summit county CO in 92 on a one year plan of "clearing my head". It ended up being 7 seasons.

I was addicted like a drug and I'm sure you feel the same way. I averaged over 100 days a year and worked for keystone so I had a pass to A basin, breck, and Vail too but I spent most of my days at A basin. We hiked all over the place and skied backcountry. Best damn 7 years of my life.

It took its toll on me. Nothing very serious but a lot of things added up to calling it at 29 years old. I'm not sure if you're tied down in VT but if you can do it, spend a year or 2 out West before the wear and tear catches up to you. It's life changing out there in so many ways. I still daydream about it regularly and its been 13 years since I left.

nice post. I too shared that addiction and slowed way down in my 30s. Now recreational blacks and blues trails, the glade bump days are gone forever.

big torch incoming...good luck to all the ski resorts...

anyone have any upcoming plans to ski Berkshire East? I have yet to ski there and was hoping to this season...but, it's more enjoyable to ski with someone...

I was just there on Tuesday, the 1st.  Nice place!  The wife and kids loved it and we will be back.

cool, Cranmore is on our radar in Feb. Has anyone here ever skied Black Mountain? We're going up to the Whites during Feb vacation and I couldn't pass up the price for tickets $24.50 so I bought 4 on the thought of taking a laid back ski day at Black between skiing Wildcat and Attitash. If we can squeeze in one more day, Cranmore will be the ski area we go to. 

I love Black Mt.  Steep, old school narrowness and slow relaxing lift rides.

I did the same.  Left the EC when I was 19 and stayed out west for 10 years with one short return stint here for the 93-94 season (which turned out to be a fantastic one.)  I didn't come back for good because of physical wear and tear issues, I followed a set of 36 D's :lmao:

Wachusett skied great tonight, albeit very crowded. Mid mountain triple opened up. Always fun. Skied Smith Walton for the first time this season. Great parking spot, too

I was there last night as well. Wife and kids were out so I figured I'd get some runs in. Rolled in at 7 had to park in lower lot. Fast and icy had to ski the sides to avoid icy spots. Big crowds. Smith was nice. 

Here's today's powder shot.  Another 7" at 3,000ft over 36 hours.  17 of the last 21 days have seen 1" or more snowfall.  Pretty epic stretch in progress.  A few more inches in the forecast tomorrow and tomorrow night.

IMG_1225_edited-2.jpg

It just keeps snowing fluffy flakes out the office window.

IMG_1221_edited-1.jpg

i skied Berkshire East...

very interesting...steeper terrain than Wachusett...much more beautiful location and overall scenery and tons more trees...loved the main loadge and vault ceilings and pine table/benches...

some of the teen staff is not that knowledgeable or well versed in the art of customer service and appropriate customer interaction...poor trail signage, took the chair to the summit and there was only one trail sign (green circle indicating the easiest way down), the blue squares and black diamond trails were not marked...or the signage was old/faded/unreadable or broken...i have never skied there, but thank god i can get myself safely down a black diamond because i honestly had no way of knowing what trail i was taking or the ability level...i eventully went into the lodge and grabbed a paper trail map to keep in my pocket and study on the lift...also, the amount of open terrain on their website didn't match up with what was actually open and skiable, the website boasted more open terrain...

i did enjoy myself and Berkshire East is a hidden gem with so much potential! I just wish the owners cared more, or were more business savvy/aggressive!

very interesting...steeper terrain than Wachusett...much more beautiful location and overall scenery and tons more trees...loved the main loadge and vault ceilings and pine table/benches...

some of the teen staff is not that knowledgeable or well versed in the art of customer service and appropriate customer interaction...poor trail signage, took the chair to the summit and there was only one trail sign (green circle indicating the easiest way down), the blue squares and black diamond trails were not marked...or the signage was old/faded/unreadable or broken...i have never skied there, but thank god i can get myself safely down a black diamond because i honestly had no way of knowing what trail i was taking or the ability level...i eventully went into the lodge and grabbed a paper trail map to keep in my pocket and study on the lift...also, the amount of open terrain on their website didn't match up with what was actually open and skiable, the website boasted more open terrain...

i did enjoy myself and Berkshire East is a hidden gem with so much potential! I just wish the owners cared more, or were more business savvy/aggressive!

Wished you had gone up with us, you really would have had a much more pleasurable time. There are lots of hidden trails that break off. I love the fact they are not savvy or aggressive, literally skied Midweek with maybe 15 people there. it is what it is, old school area Di

Owners are cool, just laid back.  Professional Lurker works there and could tell you more. Hidden New England ski gem just like Magic Mt.  If you come out lets get a few board peeps to go.  Maybe Pete will even join us.  Only 30 minutes from my house to the lifts. 

Wished you had gone up with us, you really would have had a much more pleasurable time. There are lots of hidden trails that break off. I love the fact they are not savvy or aggressive, literally skied Midweek with maybe 15 people there. it is what it is, old school area Di

Two years ago i went on their last week after an 8" spring dump and there were 6 of us riding the lifts all day.  Killer day, all I had with me was my tele set up so I was toast after 10 runs.  One of the crazy old timers asked me why I was leaving and when  I said I was whooped he said "there's chemicals that can help with that son".  I was tempted to follow him up the lift. lol

i wish i had gone with someone who was familar with the trails...my friend and i were first timers...we both loved it, though...i'd be up for having a ski g2g at Berkshire East...too bad they don't sell beer

Yeah,  I know.  Charlemont Inn was the place to go after the slopes but sadly they are closed. Hopefully somebody buys it.

You've always got the People's Pint in Greenfield for the apres ski or Mocha Maya's in Shelburne Falls.

Archived