joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The beast reported 4" and Schafer updated his blog again.  Quite a weather discussion on there, lol he cites blogs he's been reading and is all pumped up for snow in Friday's event.  Hopefully it's not a blog on this site.  But right underneath his nose he could see a bit with the fropa tomorrow.  

Wish I could've been there today.

can you be there on the 29th?

Anyone ever been to Gore?

Is it worth it to ski there for 3 days? (pending base I'm sure)

Any honest reviews?

I'm thinking of heading there Presidents weekend (only if condition's are worth the drive) with my 8yr. old son.

Probably put him in lessons one day at least so I can ski my stuff.

Maybe stay around Lake George area? Looks like 30 min drive to Mt?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Any honest reviews?

I'm thinking of heading there Presidents weekend (only if condition's are worth the drive) with my 8yr. old son.

I grew up at Gore (was where my first seasons pass was from as a kiddie) and its a solid mountain.  Its going to be busy this weekend (but everywhere will be) but I never remember any real liftlines during the holiday times.  The terrain is quite good, and the top-to-bottom vertical of over 2,000ft is solid.  It just takes two lift rides to get to the summit.  There are a lot of great trails for kids and its a family friendly spot... lots of brown bagging in the cafeteria, and no real frills (state run mountain) so its got a good down-to-earth Adirondack vibe. 

I'd give it a try if you've never been there.  It skies bigger than it looks because of the trail layout which has several different terrain areas... lots of spots to explore though I have no idea what they have open right now.  Straightbrook Quad is the expert lift as there's a little skating at the top to get to Cloud...and with a kid if you don't want to get stuck on the flats, I'd use the Topridge Triple to get out of that area and back to the base area (by skiing down from the top of Topridge) as opposed to doing the skate on Cloud.  High Peaks Double chair is a classic old school Adirondack ride through the forest and usually is crowd free with a few fun shots like Darby and Open Pit. 

The Burnt Ridge expansion is new and I've never skied over there, but have heard it can be a bit of a pain to get to or from, but once you are there, there skiing is great.  Also, if the Gondola gets busy, definitely take the high-speed triple chair next to it.  No one ever rides that thing and they always line up at the Gondola. 

I'll always have some fond memories of Gore... surprisingly good steeps, though it does long 1,500-1,700ft vertical drop blue cruisers the best.  The stuff off the Gondola and high speed triple is an intermediate and kids' dream... just long, meandering runs with a few good pitches to cruise mixed in.

Any honest reviews?

Have never been to gore but have been to it's big brother to the north (Whiteface), and love it. From what I have read Gore is a great place, and for presidents weekend it will be less crowded than VT. For more info try nyskiblog.com they have a NY ski forum there which is pretty much all things Gore and Whiteface. Since multi day gore tickets are valid at whiteface maybe do 2 days at gore and one at whiteface for some variety? If you were to do lessons for a day do them at whiteface they are known for continuous, steep vertical which you will want to experience. Check for windholds though before going up to the face as they are known to get them fairly often, and when it's busy it can be a mess. You have made a great choice checking out NY, enjoy!

-skisheep

Wachusett was weird tonight. Some of their trails, Hitchcock, 10th Mountain, were skiing really well,m if not a bit fast with some ice. Their "glory trail", however, Conifer Connection, was a complete disaster. Ice top to botton, bare spots. Despite the recent snow.

They need to make snow fast.

I did score a clearance Wachusett long sleeved thermal shirt for $9 though, and ate some sushi (not bad)

For those headed there, if they are serving it, try the stir fry made to order. Great deal and very tasty

Wachusett was weird tonight. Some of their trails, Hitchcock, 10th Mountain, were skiing really well,m if not a bit fast with some ice. Their "glory trail", however, Conifer Connection, was a complete disaster. Ice top to botton, bare spots. Despite the recent snow.

They need to make snow fast.

I did score a clearance Wachusett long sleeved thermal shirt for $9 though, and ate some sushi (not bad)

For those headed there, if they are serving it, try the stir fry made to order. Great deal and very tasty

Skied wawa this morning for a few hrs. Guns were going like gangbusters on Conifer and Tenth. Smith was still closed with no snow making whatsoever kind of strange you would think they want all trails opened from the Summit. Not many were skiing the summit due to all the guns going and only two trails open so the lift lines on the other lift were getting long. When I left at 11:30 the upper lot was closed. 

Skied wawa this morning for a few hrs. Guns were going like gangbusters on Conifer and Tenth. Smith was still closed with no snow making whatsoever kind of strange you would think they want all trails opened from the Summit. Not many were skiing the summit due to all the guns going and only two trails open so the lift lines on the other lift were getting long. When I left at 11:30 the upper lot was closed. 

Yeah, I could see the guns blazing this morning. Strange they are not blasting on Smith. 10th was in good shape last night, especially after they groomed it. They really need to open S.W. back up soon. I will be there a little after 4 to meet my son's ski club and get in a few runs depending on the crowd.  Hopefully the cold (relative) will keep some folks away.

They also looked to be blowing snow over by the Monadnock chair. The Sundowner side really needed it.

Poor Killington lost power to half their mountain for a couple hours today. I heard it turned into a real cluster. 

Yeah...saw that on their website.  That really sucks, especially on the Saturday of MLK weekend.  Sounded like it wasn't their fault or anything...something with Green Mtn Power.  I feel bad for them because that's just one of those things you have absolutely no control over, especially during such a high revenue day.

Yeah...saw that on their website.  That really sucks, especially on the Saturday of MLK weekend.  Sounded like it wasn't their fault or anything...something with Green Mtn Power.  I feel bad for them because that's just one of those things you have absolutely no control over, especially during such a high revenue day.

Yup exactly. Not their fault but I'm sure a lot of cranky customers. 

Archived