joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice evening skiing with BigR. Conditions were ok. Still some icy spots and they had groomed out the fun little bumps they had over in the beginner area

Pretty crowded but still got a spot in row 1. Diane, I will try to get some Waterville tix

Happy New Year! took a few more runs...till about 930ish...then i packed my gear in my car, bought myself a snack, and had quick wait till fireworks time...headed out at 1030pm, didn't see any crazy drivers! had a chinese food snack when i got home, watched the ball drop...went to bed...

if you got Waterville tix that would be awesome!

Skied Sunday river Saturday. Awesome conditions over 120 trails open managed 8 runs before the crowds and another 15-20 mainly on the upper mountain and glades. upper sunday with the kid and some tougher stuff thrown in. Conditions were ideal and it was snowing the entire afternoon. 5-6" fell as the day became night. Sadly we only made 5 runs Sunday before the kids were frozen so we did the vouchers for the first time ever.

Sunday we hit bretton woods. Spent most of the day on the blacks around the two mile trail, inferno etc. I never made it over to the side with the other lodge. A couple of times my daughter and I skied the the entire two mile trail and or offshoot glades and never saw another person. Interesting ravines on the blue glade off two mile. there are two spots that require careful navigation or are roped off due to undercutting. cannot say i enjoyed agassiz or whatever its called wrong turn into the bumps. great conditions, snowing most of the day upslope variety. Winds were bowling everywhere else, calm and snow at bretton. Love the lodge the kids did the rock wall and we timed it to take in the 530 fireworks at mount Washington inn. Awesome show of fireworks.

Today we were lazy and hit Shawnee at 2. Empty. Trails were hard packed powder and extremely fast. They did groom some for night skiing and combined with snowmaking after 4 it was good on the two steep but short blues that tie in from the main lodge. It was slick up top to the point that it wasn't worth it to me in the dark so we stayed down the bottom 2/3. I used the ski track app today, was surprised by the speeds topping out at 42.7 and just under 45 on short blues. Not a soul on these trails. Literally empty aside of our party when we were doing the speed runs. We skied until 845 tonight. Only a few people there with us.

Overall 3 1/4 days of great skiing. My just turned 4 yr old went from nothing to skiing blues and following me all the way down in a controlled manner by 7pm tonight. She loves it. Private lesson at bretton woods advanced her tremendously.

Good times!

Overall 3 1/4 days of great skiing. My just turned 4 yr old went from nothing to skiing blues and following me all the way down in a controlled manner by 7pm tonight. She loves it. Private lesson at bretton woods advanced her tremendously.

Good times!

Fantastic, sounds like a great way to spend some winter fun. 

Just got back from Whiteface, almost everything was open and awsome! It was a mob scene on the 28th and busy the 29th and the 31st(30th was on wind hold all day). People in the NYC area seem to be going there more as we heard many people talking about the city in lift lines and there were many jersey and CT plates in the lot. Even Empire and Glades are open which for this early in the season is unheard of. From what I have heard it seems like everywhere in the east had a banner week, this snow could have not come at a better time!

Sweet!!! New England skiing basically started there.  My wife's deceased aunt once worked as an instructor there

cool, Cranmore is on our radar in Feb. Has anyone here ever skied Black Mountain? We're going up to the Whites during Feb vacation and I couldn't pass up the price for tickets $24.50 so I bought 4 on the thought of taking a laid back ski day at Black between skiing Wildcat and Attitash. If we can squeeze in one more day, Cranmore will be the ski area we go to. 

You have a way to go. :) 45 this year. Tomorrow is day 28 of a 70+ day season. Skied 11 of the past 13 days at Killington. It's been incredible. I think we have gotten 3 feet since Christmas. It's snowing tonight.

Sweet! Yeah there's been a relative sweet spot in central VT between those two storms over the holiday week...specifically Killington to the Mad River Valley (SB/MRG). It is good to see though, especially for those local skiers as I think Killington probably had one of the worst deficits relative to normal last season...especially when like 30% of the snow fell in October. SB/MRG wasn't as bad, but last year the best snows seemed to stay north of I-89, whereas this season its much more spread out from north to south.

Deep powder for all!

Speaking of seasonal totals... here's where everyone stands so far in central/northern VT:

Jay Peak...115"

Smuggs...106"

Stowe...110"

Bolton...109"

Mad River Glen...91" (probably low due to late opening and lackluster summit measuring early in season)

Sugarbush...129"

Killington...76"

There's a definite line though between Killington and Sugarbush that must've developed earlier in the season, as those two spots have been pretty close over the last 10 days or so. As much as MRG locals don't want to hear it, I also do believe climo favors SB getting more snow just due to the massive 4,000ft ridgeline of Mt Ellen and Lincoln Peak. The orographics there will just be more impressive, especially near the summits of SB South/North, than on Gen Stark Mtn.

In northern VT (north of I-89) the snowfall differences are essentially at the noise level when you consider rounding to whole numbers and stuff like that. I mean that's a fairly consistent tally at this point from Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs/Jay.

Archived