joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, WaWa opened Connifer connection today...they are skiing top to bottom...

Yeah. I saw that earlier. They had no snow at all by that lift last night, but then they started up a few guns/towers/fans and viola!

The traill looked ok from when we went over it on the Monadnock lift. 10th should open soon as well.

Hopefully they can survive the rain

Yeah. I saw that earlier. They had no snow at all by that lift last night, but then they started up a few guns/towers/fans and viola!

The traill looked ok from when we went over it on the Monadnock lift. 10th should open soon as well.

Hopefully they can survive the rain

i know, the rain comes at such a bad time...they just needed a few more nights of good snow making and they could have gotten all the main trails open...

so you haven't skied connifer yet? i was actually thinking about heading up there tonight to get a few runs in and then going to the copper top for some free wings and to watch the pats game...

i know, the rain comes at such a bad time...they just needed a few more nights of good snow making and they could have gotten all the main trails open...

so you haven't skied connifer yet? i was actually thinking about heading up there tonight to get a few runs in and then going to the copper top for some free wings and to watch the pats game...

My son and I went for the first time last night for a few hours. Only Ralph's Challenger, the 2 beginner runs (really 1 and a half), and Ollies open.

Last season I skied Conifer the morning it opened (Dec 20), so they are a little ahead of last season.

I have a ton of school stuff to do, plus Christmas related things. Hope it is not wet when you go.

Free wings???

(and I got my pass last night, finally - took a while to amass enough kids to qualify me)

My son and I went for the first time last night for a few hours. Only Ralph's Challenger, the 2 beginner runs (really 1 and a half), and Ollies open.

Last season I skied Conifer the morning it opened (Dec 20), so they are a little ahead of last season.

I have a ton of school stuff to do, plus Christmas related things. Hope it is not wet when you go.

Free wings???

(and I got my pass last night, finally - took a while to amass enough kids to qualify me)

free wings 830-9pm being offered in the Copper Top along with watching the Pats game

Awesome lists everyone looks like I have some exploring to do! I didn't even make it to Alta the other day like I said I was going to.

I am still so jealous you are living out there...are you living up in the canyon?

Nope but a few min to the canyon road though which is a snowier area than downtown as I have 500' on them and better terrain and lake enhancement. It would be pretty cool living up the canyon but I've also never lived in or near a city before so that is interesting too.

14" here the past couple days. 25" at the mountain with an additional 30-40" forecasted will make for 55-65" in 5 days. I think I need something wider than my 74mm underfoot.

Another awesome ski day... wait, most days on skis are awesome days. Can't believe I get to do this every single day.

Today saw the Gondola and Big Spruce area open...regardless of the weather, modern snowmaking is a wonderful thing.

Awesome pics PF looks like mid-season conditions and with this weeks blast, a road trip somewhere up North may be in play for me and the kids during Christmas week.

my gut always tells me go north. but who knows given the tracks as of late. but if they're talking wrap around later in the week, jay would be my bet.

I imagine by Saturday that Jay would be the best bet. Although watch the Friday storm closely as it may turn colder, in which case further south would be good as well. As of this point though, north is better (with a slight chance that none are good if we rain out all week).

just checked in on wawa on their webcams...so foggy and lonely and icy out there...while all the ski resorts in NH, VT, and ME are all reporting at least 3inches of new snow, and it's still cold enough o make snow...

after last year, and now looking like this year is going to be hard on MA ski resorts...i wonder how bad this hurts them financially, and how many bad winters MA resorts can survive before they fold?

Yeah I've been thinking even if they get a lot of wet weather, Jay ought to upslope something serious by the looks of the storm. My only issue with Jay is it's another hour and a half from the cabin! May be worth the ride.

90 minutes is an afterthought if it gets good. i can't count the hours i've driven for a few hours of good snow.

Funny...u were worried about qpf and I was worried about temps. I always felt the qpf for a 3-6 inch event was there...just assumed that we'd be warmer and wetter.

Glad we were both just a touch off.

4-5 of cream cheese is nize.

nobody's spoken the words 'net gain' for snowpack. thick and creamy is what is needed. thoughts on how the 'pack will set up?

dumpin in the dacks right now, euro says 3-4 inches for them , we shall see when the ml warmth overcomes.. could get a quick couple inches along the spine, sugarbush is sittin at 31F so they could get a quick paste job tonite like the dacks are now, wildcat is looking like a 5-10 inch dumping between 7-11 am tommorrow

From the webcam it's looking like it's been a mostly white event up at Waterville Valley. Which is a surprise. I thought it would be a wet event for them. If they're base building now (and not losing) I'm thinking they may be looking good for Friday's storm which should be all white (pasty likely) but some upslope Friday night.

Thoughts, or is Jay still the place to go? FWIW, they are nearly identical elevations.

Green Mountain Upslope machine to be turned on this weekend. Progs look great. BTV on-board.

"On Saturday afternoon into Sunday...a slow moving vertically stacked system will be located over eastern New England...and a favorable northwest follow will develop. This will help drag a sharp modified Arctic boundary across our County Warning Area...resulting in much colder air on Sunday...with prognosticated 850 mb temperatures between -14c and -16c. The favorable deep cyclonic flow and good 1000 to 700mb relative humidity associated with a closed 500 mb/7h circulation will result in a prolonged upslope snow event from late Sat through early Monday. Also...expect a high fluff factor given developing thermal profiles of 20 or 30 to 1. Some difficult travel is anticipated with snow...blowing snow...and falling temperatures over the weekend...especially Sunday. A moderate snowfall event looks likely for the mountains of northern New York and central/northern Vermont...with some accumulations possible for the cpv/slv by Sunday. However...if system is quicker to lift out and favorable northwest follow is limited...much less snow will occur with only light amounts in the mountains still some uncertainty with upcoming system. "

gotta hinge on the post-friday upslope flow for the N VT as the low pulls through. from my basic eye, it looks like things at elevation are promising. the flow looks decent for a duration event as the low pulls out. GFS and Euro show decent flow by saturday. GFS seems to have the low running out, but a decent net gain- hopefully, for some of us. there are a few of us that are really gunning for the elevation snows, while the valleys are an afterthought.

going off topic... gotta say, PF, J Spin and all- remember some of those lows that retrograde in the gulf of Maine/atlantic canada and pinwheel for 5 days of upslope? sometimes, N VT is like Utah.

this vid always gets me going. I was living out west in snow heaven, and I get a friend telling me about VT going off. people can't grasp how northern VT can be the hidden Wasatch of the east. it happened in 2009... and last year for sure with that one event I was lucky enough to experience with 40" of fluff in a couple days.

from 2009, folks-

Today at Sugarloaf

Still snowing! It's a powder week for sure. We just checked in with our groomers on the hill and all they had to say was "Let me tell you, it's looking beautiful up here!" We picked up another 5-8 inches last night at the base and we're getting some wild reports from crews on the hill, like multiple feet of snow on Spillway and completely buried snowguns overnight. We'll be heading out early to see how deep it truly is up there. It's looking like another day of pure powder bliss.

Archived