joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SR up to 37 this morning. Astounding...with no real blasting warmth in sight up in ski country it should be a great Xmas week of skiing upcoming.

This next week will be trying... but I think if we can just close eyes and wake up on Tuesday, we'll be ok, lol.

Maine resorts will probably see least damage with CAD in these types of cutter patterns. We may have chances for upslope behind them over here, but ME will preserve better during the warmth.

I really like the Berkshire east blog and very much appreciate the candid way Shaefer is addressing stuff. Love that place.

That said he could use a meteorology lesson.... lol.

wow, i do appreciate his honesty...just read the blog...but yes, he does need to learn a thing or two about meteorology

This next week will be trying... but I think if we can just close eyes and wake up on Tuesday, we'll be ok, lol.

Maine resorts will probably see least damage with CAD in these types of cutter patterns. We may have chances for upslope behind them over here, but ME will preserve better during the warmth.

39 now, they opened two more today. Unreal!

quick off topic question for skiers out there- maybe PF and others can chime in.

so northern VT averages 250-350"/year for any given year lets say. I've heard the Chic Chocs up in the Gaspe region of Quebec can average 400"/year, but usually see numbers lower- in the ~250"/year range. Given elevation, latitude and proximity to moisture source- it seems possible that the chic chocs could easily match or exceed northern VT. Granted, they're 10 hours north of VT, and there's no real resorts up there (which is somewhat surprising- ?)

anyone have any thoughts here? apologies for the semi-off topic post.

I was at Berkshire east today, and I talked weather briefly with jon. As honest as you guys think that blog post was, there's tons more that isn't being said.

Bottom line I'd that they've had thaw temps to blow the same snow that everybody else has, they just choose not to. Even if they just blew huge bulletproof mountains to be pushed around at a later date. Hell, Ijust wish that they blew mountains where they plan to have terrain parks. Now, they're way behind the 8 ball. They will spend spool of their resources opening trails, and I guarantee that they won't have ANY terrain features until sometime in January. Which is completely unacceptable if you want to be competitive...

Also, most people plan their Christmas break ski trips when? NOW! Nobody, and I mean nobody, will plan a trip to Berkshire East on the hope that they'll be open. Last year they opened 12/26, and their holiday week sucked. I completely get the cost aspect of making snow... But, in the wise words of Ray Kinsela, 'If you build it, they will come...'

</rant>

I was at Berkshire east today, and I talked weather briefly with jon. As honest as you guys think that blog post was, there's tons more that isn't being said.

Bottom line I'd that they've had thaw temps to blow the same snow that everybody else has, they just choose not to. Even if they just blew huge bulletproof mountains to be pushed around at a later date. Hell, Ijust wish that they blew mountains where they plan to have terrain parks. Now, they're way behind the 8 ball. They will spend spool of their resources opening trails, and I guarantee that they won't have ANY terrain features until sometime in January. Which is completely unacceptable if you want to be competitive...

Also, most people plan their Christmas break ski trips when? NOW! Nobody, and I mean nobody, will plan a trip to Berkshire East on the hope that they'll be open. Last year they opened 12/26, and their holiday week sucked. I completely get the cost aspect of making snow... But, in the wise words of Ray Kinsela, 'If you build it, they will come...'

</rant>

well, after reading the blog I came away with two impressions: The owner does not understand the weather/climate history of the area where his business is located (which is bad because his business is weather based) and I think they way he wrote that blog is the honest way he perceives the situation (which is also bad)...perhaps he needs to run his business like the owner of a professional sports team- his name can be on the piece of paper, but bring in knowledgeable staff to run the organization...

he also seems too timid to be a sucessful business man in the ski resort business...i feel like instead of taking an aggressive approach, he is too gun-shy as a result of last winter...

sink or swim, right?

</rant>

What I perceived as honesty, the fact that the snowmaking system wasn't ready to take advantage of the cool Nov. weather, could also be taken as a management failure. Obviously you know the real story better than I from just reading the blog, but my larger assessment of the Beast is that:

A) Nobody in their right mind would plan a trip there anyway so the Xmas holiday is not as relatively important to them as other resorts. There's not condos, nor hotels, nor restaurants, nor other activities. The Dec. climo is lousy as it is and there's not a lot of vert.

B ) Most folks in the Boston area have never (and would never) venture out this way. GC is a scary place. They feel much more at home in ME & NH. Therefore it's niche is avid skiers along the rt. 2 and 91 corridors. Passholding daytrippers who love to ski often and don't want to deal with the crowds and hoopla at S. VT resorts like Okemo, Mt. Snow, and Stratton. With the best terrain in Massachusetts, it's customers are loyal, but the pool is small. The business model has to work with that in mind. If it tries to be anything else it will ultimately fail IMO.

C) The one thing there was no excuse for is not having the racing slope open. They HAVE to blow a ribbon for the local ski teams. This is a dependable source of revenue, which they lack. I know the terrain park is pretty dependable too with kids, but with ski teams they have contracts. The kids will come back whenever it's ready.

well, thanks to Professional Lurker, ever since you started talking about Berkshire East as a hidden gem to ski I have wanted to ski there...Seems like a comparable size to Wachusett without the crowds? I could be wrong, I've never seen Berkshire East except their trail map on line...still, I would like to ski there...

Thanks, it's a really great place, just severely mismanaged.

It doesn't have the amenities of a larger hill, but it's closer, cheaper, and I honestly believe that it offers a better ski experience than most other mountains farther north. If they could market that... especially in this economy, I feel they could be booming.

I really want to see then do as well as they could, even if that means that the vibe of the place is ruined. Better that than go by the wayside like soo many other family run ski operations.

I think Okemo has 28 trails open, worried about the rain Monday hopefully they can hang on before we turn the corner

Ehhh, it probably looked like that near Christmas time last year.... got a ways to go until we hit that point.

Plus, Okemo is known for snowmaking, not natural snowfall being east and removed from the Spine they do not benefit from upslope.

Ehhh, it probably looked like that near Christmas time last year.... got a ways to go until we hit that point.

Plus, Okemo is known for snowmaking, not natural snowfall being east and removed from the Spine they do not benefit from upslope.

True although they do pretty well on inside the benchmark coastals and can occasionally pull a slushy 6-10" on redeveloping secondaries. I'm not a big fan of Okemo for real skiing but will admit I had an awesome day there last March bombing down fall line under the Jackson Gore chair in 65 degree temps and wet granular. Good place to go for an end of the season skiing fix once the woods are done.

Turned out to be a pretty decent day up this way...

Looks soft and fun. Moguls probably skied well today. We had our second horrific day of the week here, upper 30s, rain, and low vis.

well, thanks to Professional Lurker, ever since you started talking about Berkshire East as a hidden gem to ski I have wanted to ski there...Seems like a comparable size to Wachusett without the crowds? I could be wrong, I've never seen Berkshire East except their trail map on line...still, I would like to ski there...

Di,

You know I am at WaWa 95% of the time. I wish B'East was closer and that would become "my" mountain, Steeper, a little taller, more trails. Good trail system. Lifts kinda blow but there are no lines. Base area is def old school but I like that, Grooming is good, views are decent. Cheap! Good specials now and then. Not really much in the area....

....sshhhhhh.....

True although they do pretty well on inside the benchmark coastals and can occasionally pull a slushy 6-10" on redeveloping secondaries. I'm not a big fan of Okemo for real skiing but will admit I had an awesome day there last March bombing down fall line under the Jackson Gore chair in 65 degree temps and wet granular. Good place to go for an end of the season skiing fix once the woods are done.

Looks soft and fun. Moguls probably skied well today. We had our second horrific day of the week here, upper 30s, rain, and low vis.

Negative, haha. Rock hard with a half inch of snow drifted into the troughs. The groomers are where its at... definitely loose granular (sugary stuff) but carvable and turnable.

Never warmed up today so the bumps didn't soften...although Monday looks like a poor day weatherwise, I sort of enjoy those mild, thaw days from a conditions standpoint as everything's usually soft and the bumps ski spring-like.

RE: Okemo... you've got that right. Really fun place in the spring when the snow is soft. They do have some decent bump runs and its a good cruiser type place, but definitely lacking the steeps/trees that I enjoy in the heart of the winter season. If I'm in that neighborhood though, I'd rather be at Killington. I will say that growing up I loved Okemo because its steep enough for a little kid without being scary...and the whole family can ski "black diamonds" and feel good about it. My mom loves that place...the terrain is right up her ally.

quick off topic question for skiers out there- maybe PF and others can chime in.

so northern VT averages 250-350"/year for any given year lets say. I've heard the Chic Chocs up in the Gaspe region of Quebec can average 400"/year, but usually see numbers lower- in the ~250"/year range. Given elevation, latitude and proximity to moisture source- it seems possible that the chic chocs could easily match or exceed northern VT. Granted, they're 10 hours north of VT, and there's no real resorts up there (which is somewhat surprising- ?)

anyone have any thoughts here? apologies for the semi-off topic post.

Chic-Chocs are often said to be the best skiing on the East Coast. Most of the peninsula is park land but there is a cat skiing operation and there are some great touring options. I haven't been personally but it is definitely on the list.

Here is a link to the Centre d'avalanche de La Haute Gaspesie's photo album

Negative, haha. Rock hard with a half inch of snow drifted into the troughs. The groomers are where its at... definitely loose granular (sugary stuff) but carvable and turnable.

Never warmed up today so the bumps didn't soften...although Monday looks like a poor day weatherwise, I sort of enjoy those mild, thaw days from a conditions standpoint as everything's usually soft and the bumps ski spring-like.

RE: Okemo... you've got that right. Really fun place in the spring when the snow is soft. They do have some decent bump runs and its a good cruiser type place, but definitely lacking the steeps/trees that I enjoy in the heart of the winter season. If I'm in that neighborhood though, I'd rather be at Killington. I will say that growing up I loved Okemo because its steep enough for a little kid without being scary...and the whole family can ski "black diamonds" and feel good about it. My mom loves that place...the terrain is right up her ally.

i've heard this same exact description, practically verbatim...just substitute Bretton Woods for Okemo...that is how a young 20-ish employee decribed Bretton Woods when i stopped in over the Autumn after one of my hikes...then he secretly told that while he may work at Bretton Woods, he skis at Canon Mtn

if anyone has ever skied Canon Mtn, what are your thoughts? I love Franconia Notch, and in summer i hike and camp there alot...i've even hiked Canon Mtn...i think i would love to ski there, but it seems too steep for my ability...

I grew up skiing Cannon. Great mtn, but not a beginner mtn. And can be super cold and windy with the wind pipeline of the notch. If you are intermediate+, it is a great mountain. I'd say go check it out. if it sucks, drive 20 mins to Loon. And hey, it's where Bode first ripped it up!

Archived