CO

Winter Park

UT

Brighton

Alta

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like trees Radar check out Saddleback in Maine - they've really done something special there clearing a TON of woods for tree skiing. It's not a huge mountain, but its got tons of vert and half the acres are tree skiing. Nothing super steep but a nice consistent moderately steep grade for some real sweet skiing on a powder day. Mid-week you have the mountain to yourself. I've skied pretty much everywhere in New England, and Saddleback is a hidden gem. And I don't work there anymore so I'm just saying this because I miss it.

Good to know. I love mountains that are essentially fair game boundary to boundary. Saddleback is quite a drive from here, and it may be difficult to justify a trip there with N. VT a couple hours closer. But I've also always wanted to check out Sugarloaf, so maybe some day I'll do a ME ski vacation, hell even throw Shawnee in there which I've driven past in the summer many times. Waiting for a year with an offshore storm track or at least a big norlun dump.

Mainly a lurker, but this one I can contribute to - here's my list, East to West:

VT:

Killington

Pico

Stowe

Mt Snow

NY:

Hunter

PA:

Ski Liberty

Ski Roundtop

Seven Springs

(great memories of jr high ski trips up from MD...)

IN:

Paoli Peaks (don't judge me - went to Indiana U, not bad for the middle of nowhere and for a poor college student - $5 on college night = cheap thrills!)

IL:

Ski Wilmot

MI:

Iron Horse

Black Jack

WI:

Ski Alpine

(why yes, I lived in Chicago for 7 years - how did you know?)

CO:

Copper

Breck

Keystone

Vail & Beaver Creek

Steamboat

Aspen (Ajax, Highlands, Snowmass)

UT:

Snowbird

Park City

ID:

Sun Valley

CA:

Heavenly

Canada:

Banff

Mt Sunshine

Kicking Horse

Whistler/Blackcomb

Wishlist: Jackson Hole, Mammoth, Big Sky, Taos, Switzerland...

Anxiously awaiting the snows in VT this year - new pair of boots, ready to go!

Do you live here? We could always use another poster in the NNE thread if only to add to obs.

No, sorry - Morristown, NJ. But I am doing a ski house on the access road in K this year, will chime in whenever I can with obs!

ME:

Sugarloaf,

Sunday River

NH:

Bretton Woods

Wildcat

Cranmore

Attitash

Gunstock

Waterville Valley

Loon

Cannon

Tuckermans

Campton Mtn (ski house cabin in my sig, within 1/2 hour drive of 4 mountains)

Ragged

Sunapee

Crotched

VT:

Jay

Stowe

Sugarbush (ski house for 4 yrs)

Mad River Glen

Killington

Ascutney

Okemo

Mt. Snow

MA:

Brodie

Jimney

Wachusett

Nashoba

That's the NE list, skied in NY and out west too.

Ok, longtime lurker here but have a need to respond to this. Please excuse my flatlander location (NJ yuck!) But I am a true NE winter-lover and ski bum at heart.

Here's my list in no particular order:

Pico VT - got my start here at age 6 in Feb 1969 or 1968? An absolute killer storm we travelled through from NJ all the way to the mountain. Snow was amazing the entire way and the images forever embossed in my mind of cars in the ditch, ambulances/lights/sirens, and my dad constantly pulling over to get the snow out of the engine compartment of our 1966 Chevy. 36 inches fell - maybe more. Got to the ski house on the side of Pico at 1am after being in the car 15 hours. Owner got us up the access road in his 4wd and when we woke in the morning and opened the door there was a wall of snow. Great memories of the Austrian ski instructors, fondue and early Warren Miller movies in the lodge. Wow, still makes my hair raise up.

Killington - many trips there in the 70's. So many good memories. Had a gondola accident where the car behind us lost grip on cable and crashed into our car. Ruined my skiis but they gave me a new pair of Atomics.

Saddleback - I love this place and desperate to find a vacation home in Rangeley. Taught my then 6 year old girl how to ski there in 2010.

Hunter NY - again, many good memories and a lot of fun trips. Grandma lived very close so we made numerous trips.

Park City and Deer Valley - what can I say, it's Utah. Gotta love their 'beach bars'.

Mt. Bachelor OR - quite a challenge for a flatlander like me. Tons of snow, very nice people, even better beer. Oregon is a fantastic state from coast to mountains.

Termas de Chillán - Chile the word awesome is overused but skiing here, high in the Andes and above the clouds, is an awesome experience. The views are stunning.

South American life is much more relaxed, slower pace and fun. Wine from Argentina and Chile is hard to beat.

MA

Wachusett

Berkshire East

Nashoba

Blue Hill

poached some runs in the non-operating Sunrise Ski Slope (NELSAP) - hard to get snow there

NH

Loon

Bretton Woods

Attitash

Waterville Valley (first learned to ski here)

Mount Sunapee

Pat's Peak

Windblown (cc)

Woodbound (cc)

VT

Okemo

Killington

Burke

ME

Sugarloaf (still my fave)

Sunday River

BC

Whistler/Blackcomb

I must be missing something...

MA

Butternut

Jiminy Peak

Catamount

CT

Mohawk

NJ

Vernon Valley

Great Gorge

NY

Bethpage State Park (learned to ski there)

Thunder Ridge

Big Vanilla

The Concord

Hunter

Windham

Belleayre

Song Mt

Toggenburg

90 Acres

West Mt

Gore

Whiteface

Big Tupper

Hickory

VT

Jay

Smugglers Notch

Stowe

Killington

Pico

Okemo

Magic

Bromley

Stratton

NH

Cannon

Bretton Woods

Attitash

Black

Wildcat

Cranmore

King Pine

Crotched

ME

Sunday River

AZ

Snow Bowl

CO

Steamboat

Arapahoe Basin

Keystone

Copper

Loveland

Vail

Howelsen Hill

WY

Jackson Hole

Grand Targhee

UT

Snowbird

Alta

Brighton

Solitude

NV

Heavenly

Mt Rose

CA

Heavenly

Kirkwood

Squaw

Alpine Meadows

Mammoth

Northstar

Sierra

I feel like I missed a few and there are a bunch of backcountry spots where I've played over the years and a few areas that are backcountry now and are on the NELSAP list.

CT:

Mohawk

Woodbury

Ski Sundown

Powder Ridge

Mt Southington

RI:

Yawgoo Valley

MA:

Brodie

Jimminy Peak

Bosquet

Butternut

Otis Ridge

Blandford

Wachusett

Berkshire East

Bradford

Blue Hill

Nashoba Valley

Ski Ward

Mt Tom

VT:

Jay Peak

Smugglers Notch

Burke

Bolton Valley

Sugarbush / Sugarbush North

Middlebury Snowbowl

Mad River Glen

Pico

Killington - October 1st - June 5th.

Okemo

Suicide Six

Queeche Lakes

Bromley

Stratton

Mt Snow / Haystack

Magic Mtn

Brattleboro Ski Tow

Ascutney

NH:

Balsams Wilderness

Wildcat

Loon

Cannon

Bretton Woods

Attitash/Bear Peak

Cranmore

Mt Sunapee

Waterville Valley

Whaleback

Pats Peak

Gunstock

Ragged Mtn

Crotched

ME:

Big Squaw

Sugarloaf

Saddleback

Sunday River

Black Mt Of Maine

Mt Abram

Camden Snowbowl

NY:

Whiteface

Gore

Hunter Mtn

Windam

Belleayre

Bobcat

Plattekill

Holiday Mtn

Big Birch

Catamount

Sterling Forest

Mt Peter

NJ:

Mt Creek

Hidden Valley

PA:

Elk Mtn

Camelback

Shawnee

Jack Frost

Sno Mtn

Blue Mtn

Tanglewood

Alpine Mtn

Canada:

Whitler/Blackomb + Backcountry Heli-skiing

Mt Sutton

Owl's Head

Mt Orford

CO:

Buttermilk

Aspen Highlands

Aspen

Snowmass

Steamboat

Ski Cooper

Copper Mtn

Breckenridge

Keystone

Arapahoe Basin

Loveland

Winter Park

Vail

Beaver Creek

UT:

Snowbird

Alta

Brighton

CA:

Mammoth - June

OR:

Timberline Lodge - May, July, August, September

Mt Bachelor

Germany:

Zugpitze

France:

Tignes / Val D'isere - July

Austria:

Kaprun

Stubital - July

Kitzbuhel

Italy:

Val Senales - July

Switzerland:

St Moritz

Zermatt - July

Heck of a list right there Coventry. You about covered em here in the east, except for Quebec I guess.

Other than a bunch in California, the only ones I've done that aren't on there are Sunapee, Granite Gorge, and Tenney, all in NH.

Your post reminded me that I forgot to add Mt Sunapee. Tenney is currently out of businees and has been since 2010. It's doubtfull that they will reopen without a major investment.

Your post reminded me that I forgot to add Mt Sunapee. Tenney is currently out of businees and has been since 2010. It's doubtfull that they will reopen without a major investment.

Yeah not looking good. The one I'd really like to see reopen is Ascutney. Easy to get to from here, some pretty good backcountry out by the cabin trail, and in a unique climate zone compared to other resorts. On the rare occasion when the Valley capitalizes in a snowstorm and if the snowshield didn't reach northern and western areas it was always a good option.

CT

Ski Sundown

Mohawk Mountain

Mount Southington

Powder Ridge

MA

Butternut

NY

Labrador (first time skiing at age of 4)

VT

Jay Peak

Stowe

Killington

Magic

Mount Snow

Haystack

Stratton

Sugarbush

NH

Waterville Valley

Mount Sunapee

Gunstock

Bretton Woods

Wildcat

PA

Tussey Mtn

Blue Knob

CO

Vail

UT

Park City

CA/NV

Heavenly

Yeah not looking good. The one I'd really like to see reopen is Ascutney. Easy to get to from here, some pretty good backcountry out by the cabin trail, and in a unique climate zone compared to other resorts. On the rare occasion when the Valley capitalizes in a snowstorm and if the snowshield didn't reach northern and western areas it was always a good option.

Ascutney suffers with a lack of snow, or I should say it gets significantly less snow than other resorts on the Green Mtn Spine due to shadowing. The mt also has a confusing trail layout IMO and too many intersecting trails. With the summit quad gone all that's left to service the upper mtn is a 25 year old triple chair. What's really needed is a major snowmaking upgrade to help that place compete with the big boys all around it.

Ascutney suffers with a lack of snow, or I should say it gets significantly less snow than other resorts on the Green Mtn Spine due to shadowing. The mt also has a confusing trail layout IMO and too many intersecting trails. With the summit quad gone all that's left to service the upper mtn is a 25 year old triple chair. What's really needed is a major snowmaking upgrade to help that place compete with the big boys all around it.

Here you go applying good business sense... lol

You're right of course, Ascutney's climo sucks in general compared to it's surroundings, but I liked it because it was unique, which is to say there were days in certain weather regimes when it could outperform and be an option for day-tripping. Catering to people like me is not a recipe for success however.

Again from a skiing perspective the triple chair is no big deal. It's the same with Berkshire East. Slow sure, but limiting the skiers is a good for the quality with limited, but interesting terrain. Have had some really good days there... Although had to hike out onetime in deep snow. If you go too far beyond the cabin there's cliffs. Alas it probably won't open again either, unfortunately.

Archived