joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there a crowd Diane? Their signs are pretty bad. What did you think of the lifts?

I love their food...lol

no crowd at all. Was thinking of skiing later into the evening but a bazillion bus loads of kids arrived. Didn't eat the food, lol! Summitt chair kept stopping. It was interesting.

no crowd at all. Was thinking of skiing later into the evening but a bazillion bus loads of kids arrived. Didn't eat the food, lol! Summitt chair kept stopping. It was interesting.

There is never a crowd. Ever. Even on mlk or feb vaca, while extremely busy, it's never crowded. Not compared to other places, especially wawa. I was there all day on Saturday. There was a big race and the lodge was nuts, but the trails were great.

As for the food, I have been disagreeing with Dave for years. Stay away from the soups. ...just saying...... Joel's food handling practices are a little suspect, imo.

There is never a crowd. Ever. Even on mlk or feb vaca, while extremely busy, it's never crowded. Not compared to other places, especially wawa. I was there all day on Saturday. There was a big race and the lodge was nuts, but the trails were great.

As for the food, I have been disagreeing with Dave for years. Stay away from the soups. ...just saying...... Joel's food handling practices are a little suspect, imo.

lol... My son had a great tasting burger last season...I always try chili if possible at any place. I haven't died yet. I forget what I got last time... Burke Mountain still wins for their chili-mac from years ago

At Wachusett, they make a tasty Hungarian mushroom soup that I love, but I tend to get a baked potato with cheese and broccoli (and sometimes bacon...mmmmmm). We just enjoyed some fresh apple cider donuts from Red Apple farm and some apple soda (not my favorite). Empty tonight. Great conditions

Wish I could join the folks at B'East Tuesday...

post-270-0-97062900-1357613004_thumb.jpg

TB Chris M Doug Mike Pete and I enjoying a spectacular bluebird IMG_20130108_115249_zpsc3bb91ba.jpg .

As usual, trails are packed, huh? It's lunchtime, so you could argue that everybody is inside eating. However, check out the empty ski racks...

Great day, enjoyed meeting chris and doug. Wish more people made the trip though... We need to do this again. Pick a date!

As usual, trails are packed, huh? It's lunchtime, so you could argue that everybody is inside eating. However, check out the empty ski racks...

Great day, enjoyed meeting chris and doug. Wish more people made the trip though... We need to do this again. Pick a date!

I wanted do to a few hours but my mother-in-law couldn't make it to watch the boy.  Let's pick a date a week or more out so I can ensure some free time.  Tues, thurs or fri. can usually work.  Someone coming from a distance could even leave a car at my house and I can drive to B'East. (I'm only a few miles N of Rt 2)

hopefully, things will get back into high gear once we start getting overnight lows into the 20's again and the inversion is cleared...

NH, Stowe, Maine all seem fine, Sunday River, Loon, Waterville, Stowe all seem to be nearly fully open.  It's the southern resorts or those with less snowmaking like MRG that had problems.  Will get better in a day or two.

Snowmaking runs have no issue at all... a few natural snow trails are closed due to water bars melting out and rocks/scoured areas, but for the most part the steep ungroomed stuff will be closed just due to the ugly moonscape surface.  More of a safety concern than anything else... if you get hurt, do you really want to climb into a sled on a 40 degree pitch skating rink?

But snowmaking and groomed trails are fine.  If the natural snow can make it through the thaw, the snowmaking definitely will.

Pics from today... I'm just bummed because my favorite type of skiing (off-piste and ungroomed) is pretty much done for while until it snows again as the snow surface is rock hard, uneven, suncupped, runnels, etc.  Looks like its back to cruising groomers for a while.  Although when it does start snowing again, the woods and natural snow trails are going to have a concrete base to work with.

I also like that we were able to hold onto 4-8" in the valley depending on elevation... still gives that "white" view of town when up on the mountain.  Its more aesthetically pleasing than looking out at brown fields and properties.

The beast reported 4" and Schafer updated his blog again.  Quite a weather discussion on there, lol he cites blogs he's been reading and is all pumped up for snow in Friday's event.  Hopefully it's not a blog on this site.  But right underneath his nose he could see a bit with the fropa tomorrow.  

Wish I could've been there today.

Archived