• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

The views from the top are stellar.  Lift lines were probably longer than normal because of the snowbowl being closed.  I really liked the place.  The trails aren't terribly difficult aside of Goosebumps but I really enjoyed them.  Middle of the road, long trails with bumps scattered throughout to keep you on your toes.  The blues like Ridge....much easier than say American Express or Risky Business at SR, but that's the name of the game.  Outstanding fun for the little ones.  A place I'd definitely go back to again.

I personally love Skyway Ledges into either Westside if you want to hit the high speed quad back to the top, or my favorite the big right hand turn into a wide open Skyway back down into the bowl. The views at the top of Ledges are just amazing on a clear day. From Kearsage to the right, through Mt. Washington, and Okemo to the left.

I've got 5 left on the 6-pack there, but no weekends off until St. Patrick's Day. However, weekday skiing is one of the perks to my schedule, no lift lines!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dying to ski Cannon...i saw a picture of the Trail Taft Slalom and ever since then I have to go and ski it...weird fixation...but Taft Slalom hasn't been open since the torch...I check the trail map every few days to see if the status has changed...it was still closed a few days ago...however you just reminded me to go check again...i don't think it will ever open if we torch again and then continue with the pattern of not getting any natural snow...

edit to add just checked the trail report and Taft Slalom is still closed... :(

Heading to Cannon on Fri. Radio station WXRV 92.5 The River has a special on Fri. Ski Cannon for $9.25 (download ticket from their website.)

Sunapee is always a pleasant surprise. Probably will head up there in February at some point.

It was great.  The snow was good too, slow for whatever reason but good.  Probably a function of the temps etc.   Epic views, longish trails and even with 1 lift down wasn't crowded.

I personally love Skyway Ledges into either Westside if you want to hit the high speed quad back to the top, or my favorite the big right hand turn into a wide open Skyway back down into the bowl. The views at the top of Ledges are just amazing on a clear day. From Kearsage to the right, through Mt. Washington, and Okemo to the left.

I've got 5 left on the 6-pack there, but no weekends off until St. Patrick's Day. However, weekday skiing is one of the perks to my schedule, no lift lines!

I really enjoyed myself.  The bowl was almost entirely closed to the left because that lift was down and still is today.  That stunk, but it's also cool because next time I go there's 10+ trails I've never seen before.  The Navionics Ski app was off for about 2 hours midday as I had to charge the battery.  Did 15 runs total, not bad on a brutal cold day (morning my little ones could only do 1 run at a time it was just too cold).  Only trail that was open that I don't think I managed to run along was Lynx.  Great application for $1 if you like to see what you do during the day.  Most of the glades are closed, there's just no snow, those are the trails I did not get at the top.

post-3232-0-53036900-1359383134_thumb.jp

Those GPS apps are great but they suck battery. Need to have one of those extra battery covers or charge up midday.

Yep that's what happened midday. Normally the iPhone 5 can last an entire day no problem but I went into the day with only 1/2 a charge..whoops.  At lunchtime I had to charge it with a morphine backup battery I have (that's the 1-2 hour gap you see at lunch)...and eventually just decided to ski with the battery attached.  I like the morphie juice pack powerstation as it's all usb...can use it with any device including an ipad, or any tablet/phone that uses a regular usb cable on the head end.   Made up for lost time skiing solo at the end of the day the kids were junk at that point.

One of the aspects I like is it helps to put into perspective how much time is spent on the lifts and the pros/cons of waiting in the longer lift lines vs shorter lines on a slower lift.

With the Navionics app it also tells you which trails you ran as part of the run in sequence.  Which is kind of cool as every mountain now breaks up every trail into multiple parts...easier to figure out which way you went/liked earlier. 

I'll give Sunapee an A.  Really enjoyed it especially considering the prices.  Only negative was the ski rentals for the 4 year old.  Disaster!  Took forever and the kid had her right buckle so poorly adjusted the boot would not come out easily...lucky she didn't break a leg on one fall.   The other boot had a defective buckle... but I digress we have yet to find a place other than Bretton Woods where the ski rental thing was outstanding and there you pay $$$.  Even Sunday River sent her out last weekend with the skis so poorly adjusted the boot would pop out getting off the lift.  She went right into a private lesson, by the time we were told by the instructor the lesson was over..the only time she fell was when the boot came out.  Turns out it was adjusted like 1/2 inch too big :(

BTW the biggest takeaway from the GPS tools is that I ski less than I think with the kids.  Just the way it is, but a day skiing with adults would be a lot of fun.  I wouldn't trade skiing with my kids for anything.  I started when I was 37 but had a hockey background etc so I had no problems picking it up.  It's the best thing I ever did, fantastic time with the kiddos, friends and family plus a great way to see the country in winter and be out in and enjoy winter.

Hoping to get the 3 hour actual ski time in a full day up to 4 hours when it warms with the kids.

skiing with my nieces and nephew is awesome! it's so damn cute seeing such little people zipping around on skis...the three of them picked it up super fast...my nephew is better than me...and i'm probably only one level ahead of my nieces but we ski the same trails...my youngest niece will probably ski above my ability next year, she has little fear...my oldest niece is like me...we ski to enjoy the trail and practice our turns, not to be a speed demon...i think my oldest niece and i will always be the same skiing ability...can only get to a certain point and then the fear kicks in and we back off...

hoping to see some of you at the Beast tomorrow...bring your AAA card to get 5 dollars off...

holy crap Rollo, 37mph???? really??? i think if i built up that amount of speed, i would pee myself!

I think they say the average cruising speeds are really 30-50 for most skiers.  That was a very short burst, the snow just wasn't very fast yesterday.  I'm comfortable up to about 45 with no crowds, anything above that I find I can't process what's coming at me fast enough at my skill level and I take the risk of a yard sale.

My oldest daughter...we're usually about 25-32 on most open trails.  We really stress going with the flow, giving people plenty of room and not stopping in the middle of a trail like so many do.

I'm still waiting for the mophie juicepack to come out for the iphone5.  I've been using itrailmap3d but until i get the battery booster I have to keep it off.

We found that renting the kids gear for the season is the way to go.  First and foremost, you can do it at your leisure and not when the kids are all bundled up for a day of skiing.  eliminates the hassle of dealing with it in the morning.  for standard gear the whole package is usually around $100 so as long as you get 3-4 days in, its a good deal.  and the fit of the boots is better because the ski shop will take the time to do it right.  best if done by august.

I'm still waiting for the mophie juicepack to come out for the iphone5.  I've been using itrailmap3d but until i get the battery booster I have to keep it off.

We found that renting the kids gear for the season is the way to go.  First and foremost, you can do it at your leisure and not when the kids are all bundled up for a day of skiing.  eliminates the hassle of dealing with it in the morning.  for standard gear the whole package is usually around $100 so as long as you get 3-4 days in, its a good deal.  and the fit of the boots is better because the ski shop will take the time to do it right.  best if done by august.

She just turned 4 so we weren't sure if it was worth it.  We rent for the 8 year old for the year.  First day was rough, by day 4 this weekend she's skiing the blues at Sunapee with ease.  Being I'm not sold on the snowman cometh' for February and with some warm vacation plans we're just going to ride it out for the rest of the year and rent as we go.

My buddy hit 58 at SR river last time.  I'm not sure the conditions warrant much more than that right now.  I'm fine in the 30-45 range this season...like you guys said crashing at 45-80 would be akin to wiping out on a motorcycle at that speed...not my thing.  

I've gone past seasonal rentals, I get my kids' gear at ski swaps. Use then for a few years and then sell them at a swap for basically what you paid for them.

Sizing the kids up in August just to find out that their feet grew ftl.

same here. We got back what we paid for my son's last 2 boards and my last 2 pairs of skis. He got back enough to get a newer bkard and helmet.

I need a new helmet. Mine is starting to break down inside a bit...

Archived