joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got almost as much rain last night as I have in the last 6 weeks combined. Already have 3.40" in the tipping bucket today. Woke up at some point (2:30-ish) to the EBS tones on the radio due to a flash flood warning.

The (usually empty) water retention area behind my neighbors house is a full blown lake this morning.

Yes the EBS tones were at 2:30 they went off on my phone. I will have to see how our retention ponds look when I go out today.

In the spirit of yesterday's discussion on positive lightning, check out this "bolt from the blue" from the Rangers game. I got to admit the reaction of the first base coach is funny. http://mlb.mlb.com/v...32309563470-996

That is very similar to what we saw last week during dinner. Out of no where a bolt which we swear created a blue/white ball flash off the ground hit the corn field behind our house. What I love about that video is after the initial strike the umps are standing out with other flashes going on starring at the sky. :axe:

You can have some of mine from last night, the sump is working extra hard today. See if you can guess which pixel my house is under.

Yea you guys got pounded up there this morning. I have a friend in Walkersville who said she was kept awake most of the night. We are supposed to head to Heritage Park today to get the kids out, need to check with her.

Had took my daughter to the camp bus stop this morning and just stood in the rain and loved it. My daughter kept asking me if I wanted to get under the umbrella but I just told her that life is good in the rain.

Did the same thing this morning when I took the dog out. She was reluctant to leave the porch, and headed back there very quickly once finishing her business. Meanwhile, I just stood there with my head back letting the rain hit my face. Something very refreshing about summer rain, especially after the hell we've endured the last 2 weeks.

Had took my daughter to the camp bus stop this morning and just stood in the rain and loved it. My daughter kept asking me if I wanted to get under the umbrella but I just told her that life is good in the rain.

Did the same thing this morning when I took the dog out. She was reluctant to leave the porch, and headed back there very quickly once finishing her business. Meanwhile, I just stood there with my head back letting the rain hit my face. Something very refreshing about summer rain, especially after the hell we've endured the last 2 weeks.

Reading your responses reminded me of a song by The Alarm "Rain in the Summertime".

Yea you guys got pounded up there this morning. I have a friend in Walkersville who said she was kept awake most of the night. We are supposed to head to Heritage Park today to get the kids out, need to check with her.

It was pretty intense for a long time, but especially between 2 and 4 a.m.  It sounded like it was a lot, but even I was suprised to see 3.33" when I woke up at 5:30.

Bite me :P

:) 

Anyone have a radar loop from early morning (3:00-6:30ish)?

Best I could find is wunderground, but that is only reaching back to about 6:15 now.  I would be interested in seeing a loop starting around 1 a.m. if anybody finds a site

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=IAD&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&type=TR0&zoommode=pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=400&centery=240&prevzoom=zoom&num=40&delay=15&scale=1&showlabels=1&smooth=0&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&rainsnow=Hide&lightning=Hide

Best I could find is wunderground, but that is only reaching back to about 6:15 now. I would be interested in seeing a loop starting around 1 a.m. if anybody finds a site

http://www.wundergro...&lightning=Hide

If you go to UCAR's site you can go back 5-6 days... just don't try to load too much at once or Java might freeze up.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/

Best I could find is wunderground, but that is only reaching back to about 6:15 now. I would be interested in seeing a loop starting around 1 a.m. if anybody finds a site

http://www.wundergro...&lightning=Hide

The little, nondescript button unless your looking for it daily archive button on the same page that ^^ was on:

http://radblast-sf.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_composite_archive?centerlat=38.95544815&centerlon=-77.45227814&radius=124&newmaps=1&type=N0R&type2=TR0&num=24&SD.epoch=1341806400&ED.epoch=1341892799&DELAY=30&delay=20&width=640&height=480

If you go to UCAR's site you can go back 5-6 days... just don't try to load too much at once or Java might freeze up.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/

Cool, thanks Mark. I'll be sure to save the link.

The little, nondescript button unless your looking for it daily archive button on the same page that ^^ was on:

http://radblast-sf.w...=640&height=480

Perfect, thanks! Wunderground has so many features it seems impossible to know them all

Are LWX's rainfall estimates accurate? Not much here so far, but with the sun starting to break out, maybe an evening thunderstorm is still possible.

they're marginally accurate, sometimes. good for general idea of where heaviest was etc. if possible get a few ground reports to compare to radar and you might be able to come up with a better educated guess.

Are LWX's rainfall estimates accurate? Not much here so far, but with the sun starting to break out, maybe an evening thunderstorm is still possible.

Looks correct around Frederick area in terms of where the heaviest rain fell (N and E of the city). It shows me as 0.3.-0.6 but my vantage vue recorded 1.01". So totals may be off but relativity of who got more may be correct.

That is a nice visual scene actually. A kind of nice wrap up to a hectic event and conclusion. A scene that says, despite it all, we survived and now, life is good, even in the rain.

haha, my dog loved the rain (and of course had to go at 4am when I was already lacking sleep. I just wanted to go to bed, could care less about the rain. I did watch most of the lightning, from the back of my eyelids (tried and failed to watch the show).

Of course...with the temp. drop, how many put their coats on ;-)

Looks pretty accurate out my way. Also shows heavier rains to my north which certainly correlates with my observations of t-storms sliding to my north yesterday afternoon and evening before last night's hits.

That is a nice visual scene actually. A kind of nice wrap up to a hectic event and conclusion. A scene that says, despite it all, we survived and now, life is good, even in the rain.

haha, my dog loved the rain (and of course had to go at 4am when I was already lacking sleep. I just wanted to go to bed, could care less about the rain. I did watch most of the lightning, from the back of my eyelids (tried and failed to watch the show).

Of course...with the temp. drop, how many put their coats on ;-)

It's funny... if there was a body of water nearby, she'd jump right in it without hesitation, but raindrops she wants to avoid. Go figure.

Archived