• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

jburns

It's amazing to me how hard it seems to be for Atlanta to hit 100, while it's so easy out here and many other places. With all the buildings, concrete, asphalt, heat island(starting warmer than most areas a lot of times), etc you would think it would be easy but they are always one of the coolest areas in any heat wave. Meanwhile, it's almost easy to hit 100 where I am. They are at a higher elevation but it shouldn't make that huge of a difference all the time, at least you would think.

Plus it's actually annoying, in the summer and the winter (because they are never as cold at night as virtually everywhere else on calm nights). When people look back at the records, they always reference/look at Atl..when so many other areas of north ga are colder or hotter. So many times their temps don't accurately represent a lot, if not the majority, of north ga.

Just a little pet peeve of mine, it's like no where else matters or something lol.

Yeah, that's always bothered me too, seeing as how the airport has always had it's own little climate relative to whereever I am in relation to it. I have even driven by while it was doing one thing on the runway, and something else out on 75, lol.

I'm betting I don't get over 97. I think the warm bias is showing it's head again. And today I had a big wind out of the east that felt great..an omen, I'm sure;) If I get past July 4th without a 100 my experience has been I probably won't get one this year. T

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that line has filled in all the way back over to Raleigh... let's see if it can hang on for another 30 minutes on it's way here.

Crazy strobe like lightning here, made even odder by the lack of any steady or loud thunder, I have had several text from friends freaking out about the constant flickering in the sky without thunder. Rain rates are extreme prolly 2" here at work on the north side of Greenville

Just siphoned .94" in 40 minutes!!! :thumbsup: Sky was lit up with lightning, but haven't seen the first streak, flash, or spiderweb. Just a whole lot of strobing brightness for the duration of the line passing through. Strangely, very very little thunder, too.

Just siphoned .94" in 40 minutes!!! :thumbsup: Sky was lit up with lightning, but haven't seen the first streak, flash, or spiderweb. Just a whole lot of strobing brightness for the duration of the line passing through. Strangely, very very little thunder, too.

That was how it was here as well, for maybe 30-40 mins the sky was a constant flicker, like a strobe light but I rarely heard any thunder except for a few deep low rumbles.....like you I also never really saw any bolts, or sky crawlers just a steady flicker...really a odd experiance hard to imagine that much "lightning" without hearing a lot of thunder.

Wunderground best forecast for next weekend... LOL

lol - i have been watching their forecast too. currently has it 109 here on saturday lmao. its going to be hot, but chances of that verifying (or even 108 haha) are pretty much non-existent

They're forecasting 109 for me on Saturday. 12z GFS did show temps not far from there around 104/105, but for Monday and Tuesday. I see our NWS is still being ultra conservative with these temps....

They are being a bit conservative with high 90's as there's little doubt in my mind that KATL will exceed 100 F at least once.

However, I must warn folks about the warm biased Euro and to a lesser extent the recently warm biased GFS. It is virtually a guarantee that 850's will not reach near the ridiculous Euro forecast of +29 C. The hottest 850's (at either 0Z or 12Z) I've been able to find for KATL since 1950 are only +24 C. OTOH, I do feel that there will be a shot at an alltime record high 850 of ~+25 C.

Picked up 4.26 from Debby. Feels amazing today. A chilly 74 and windy with heavy cloud cover. Wow. Now since Debby is moving faster the rain won't stick around until Friday and now we down here have to suffer from the heat like all of you up there. 100 for Friday. lol. Amazing how the beginning of May, I was whining and complaining about it not raining and we were in that Extreme/Exceptional drought category. Now we are not even in a drought anymore. It feels so great outside right now. :D

Are you sure this is Summer? It was 51 at 6:30 a.m., and it's still only 58 at 8:30. I guess it's the calm before the heat storm on Friday, but I'll take it while it's here.

This little guy crawled out of his burrow yesterday. He's a rare Blue Mountain Mudbug crawfish. They don't live in water, and they graze in meadows. Now if he could only get some needed rain from Debbie!

post-1004-0-31127800-1340800404_thumb.jp

Anyone notice a member's name is Facebook? Or is it a trolling program designed to track our content and trends?! haha, paranoia abound!

It's part of IP.Board....it's a bot, kind of like a google bot used to index the web.

These quotes are from IPB staff:

"From my understanding this is facebook indexing the topic... it's notified when their sharing script is called from a new location therefore it see's the new topic and indexes it. Other then removing the share links so the java is not loaded from FB, there isn't much you can do. As to why this is happening or at least being noticed on 3.2.x and not prior, that's a good question, but more likely than not, it's a new feature of facebook. I have heard rumors that they have been working on indexing the web for a couple of years and plan on web search being a large FB item in the future."

"The introduction of the Like button, as Mikey said, is the reason Facebook now crawls the page. Twitter and Google + also do the same thing: http://lifehacker.co...n-do-to-stop-it

Facebook collects meta information such as images, page description, and page title so that when a URL is pasted into the Facebook status box, it populates with that helpful information it usually adds. I'm sure they use it for other things as well."

It's part of IP.Board....it's a bot, kind of like a google bot used to index the web.

These quotes are from IPB staff:

"From my understanding this is facebook indexing the topic... it's notified when their sharing script is called from a new location therefore it see's the new topic and indexes it. Other then removing the share links so the java is not loaded from FB, there isn't much you can do. As to why this is happening or at least being noticed on 3.2.x and not prior, that's a good question, but more likely than not, it's a new feature of facebook. I have heard rumors that they have been working on indexing the web for a couple of years and plan on web search being a large FB item in the future."

"The introduction of the Like button, as Mikey said, is the reason Facebook now crawls the page. Twitter and Google + also do the same thing: http://lifehacker.co...n-do-to-stop-it

Facebook collects meta information such as images, page description, and page title so that when a URL is pasted into the Facebook status box, it populates with that helpful information it usually adds. I'm sure they use it for other things as well."

So im not crazy, lol. Thanks Jon! interesting how much data we give away. Free email services have been doing this for decades now.

Man it feels great outside today.. Sitting just under 80.. Hell is ready to open however!

The following works. I justed got my free app for the IP4..

@ChaserTV LAST DAY! Follow @weather_radio & RT this message. We'll give you a free iMap Weather Radio #iOS app! (Must follow to receive code) #iMWR

52 this morning. Reached 85 yesterday. Spent the afternoon at Pearson's Falls on the North/South Carolina border. Nothing like natural A/C. These mountain waterfalls, with their 62 degree water, will be the places to be for this heat wave.

This is beautiful! I'll be flying into GSO tomorrow for an extended stay with Wow and Meow through 7/24. Going to see if we can make a trip to see this.

Am not looking forward to your heat. Thought I was escaping that in Houston. We hit 105 here yesterday at the airport. Lovely of Debby to share the wealth. Not.

After such a nice cool/comfortable morning (59 for a low), it's now 97 here before 1pm. Looks like there is a decent chance of reaching 100 here.I feel like I live in a desert with these types of extremes.

Wow Chris, what a difference. I'm still at 89 shortly after 1pm. I'm still going to be surprised if I see 100 over the weekend, 97 to 99 maybe, but 100 seems unlikely still to me. I can see you getting to a bizzillion though, lol, if you are already nearing 100 today. I sure hope this is summers last gasp and fall comes in July this year. I hate hot weather worse that no snow/sleet :) I'm still under a blanket at night with the fan on, so at least the nights are cool. Upper 90's or 100's in the day and middle 80's at night is what kills you when you don't have air conditioning. T

Archived