• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

jburns

I'm still going to be surprised if I see 100 over the weekend, 97 to 99 maybe, but 100 seems unlikely still to me.

Tony,

I won't just eat my ice cream. Considering the predicted historically warm 850's, I'll also eat my shorts if you don't make it to 100+ this weekend lol. By the way, lucky me, I'm stuck in this heat in Dunwoody for the next 10+ days. (This trip was planned two months ago). No ocean to cool me this time. :(

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drought is really expanding and strengthening in Georgia. 20% of the state is now in an exceptional drought ! Most of Metro Atlanta is now in a severe drought. It looks like Georgia is the only state in the entire country with an exceptional drought, although a very small part of Alabama is in an exceptional drought too.

94.4 imby here in Dahlonega. I think 100 is a possibility for me tomorrow.

Saw a 106 south of Nashville.

its hot everywhere, there is no escaping lol. 95.1 imby....nice to see wxunderground more reasonable (no 107 and 109 temps) and they are the nws are about the same, as are most of the forecasters on here: near 100 the next couple of days. honestly who can tell the difference between 98 and 101 lol - if we are going to be 98 or 99 we might as well go for broke and hit 100. its not an every year (or even every other year) occurrence imby

heat is starting to quickly zap any of the remaining moisture in the soil as well. hopefully the heat wave will be short lived, and we can get some thunderstorms back soon

edited to add: btw, even though its a post about heat, it is nice to have at least something interesting wx wise around here. it has been B O R I N G for a long time lmao. wish we were all reporting TS conditions, but i guess widespread 100s is better than nothing (it is the se in late june, so its going to be hot anyway. might as well break a record or two)

Well, Larry, my friend, I'll certainly give way to your opinion on this :) After all I'm going by feel, and observing the winds, which were from the ne,e, and se, and substantial the last week or so. Even today late as the heat moved in, there was still wind in the tree tops. And I was under a blanket all week, since I was too lazy to get up and turn off the fan in the early morning. This just doesn't have the classic feel of a cap on, bad air, not the slightest zepher kind of heat thrashing. Not yet, anyway. Here, today, I had 97.8 on the only one of my remotes registering, yet the Experiment Station had a 96.1. Like a reverse of my usual CAD feelings, I'm hoping this will not make it in here with the worst effects. I'm happy to let Chris, and NEGa. play with the records, lol.

I'm guessing you'll see higher temps than me, if you are staying in Atl. Though, you know, I've seen far more 100's down here than I ever did in midtown. T

I need to check on the elderly like the news says. Yep, I'm fine!

:lol: Pffffft.....old :lol:

Just wanted to thank SF, Foothills, Larry, Moto, Hurricane, the SE crew, etc., for a great thread :wub:

The hard drive went on my computer, so I'm following on my phone. Can't see the maps to well, but the discussion is awesome as usual :hug:

Wow Chris, what a difference. I'm still at 89 shortly after 1pm. I'm still going to be surprised if I see 100 over the weekend, 97 to 99 maybe, but 100 seems unlikely still to me. I can see you getting to a bizzillion though, lol, if you are already nearing 100 today. I sure hope this is summers last gasp and fall comes in July this year. I hate hot weather worse that no snow/sleet :) I'm still under a blanket at night with the fan on, so at least the nights are cool. Upper 90's or 100's in the day and middle 80's at night is what kills you when you don't have air conditioning. T

Yeah my local area, for whatever reason, is normally some of the hottest around. The only other area(s) that I've ever noticed that are normally hotter is the Augusta to Columbia corridor. Part of the reason is downslope if winds are out of the west of course.

I did indeed top out at 100.5 yesterday but surrounding meso sites, which are normally quite close/accurate got a bit hotter. Lexington to the south got to 103 IRRC, and a little bit to my north got to a whopping 105. These numbers seem a bit extreme to be compared to everywhere else but we have been one of the driest areas as well. God knows what I will be today. FFC is forecasting a whopping 105 for athens the next 2 days. I've never seen them forecast 105 for Athens before..ever. (fwiw they got to 99 yesterday but almost every site around them got to 100 or higher) GSP is forecasting a high of 105 also just next door in elbert county but 106 tomorrow. Given the temps yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised now to see 107/108. :axe:

It's been fascinating to watch the foothills temps this morning. Mt. Airy at 88 as I type!

It's a hot and windy night across western North Carolina.

4:38AM

Mount Airy 84

North Wilkesboro 82

Boone 77

Asheville 77

Raleigh 73

Greensboro 72

Albemarle 64

Our lows have gone from:

Wed: 56.8

Thu: 63.3

Fri: 74.5

STRONG 597 DM HIGH IS PROGGED TO SHIFT SE OVER THE AREA THROUGH

THIS AFTERNOON CONTINUING THE OPPRESSIVE AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS

CONDITIONS LOCALLY. TEMPERATURES ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO BE FAIRLY

TRICKY TODAY AS GUIDANCE IS MUCH HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS DAYS AND

THE QUESTION BECOMES IS GUIDANCE BETTER HANDLING THE EVENT OR DO

WE HAVE HISTORIC HEAT IN THE OFFING FOR THE AREA. LOOKING UPSTREAM

YESTERDAY...VALUES WERE 103 TO 105...BUT NOT THE 107 AND 108

GUIDANCE IS SHOWING FOR OUR AREA TODAY. LOOKED AT THE CIPS ANALOG

CASES FOR THIS EVENT AND FOR THE TOP 15 ANALOGS WE ARE SHOWING A

NEAR 100 PERCENT CHANCE OF SITES SEEING THE CENTURY MARK TODAY. IT

IS ALSO SHOWING A 60 PERCENT CHANCE OF 105 OR GREATER FOR THE

SOUTHERN TIER FOR THIS AFTERNOON. GIVEN THE ANOMALIES IN PLACE FOR

925MB TEMPERATURE WHICH IS MAXED OUT OVER NORTH GEORGIA...FEEL WE

COULD INDEED BREAK SOME LONG STANDING RECORDS ACROSS THE STATE

THROUGH THIS WEEKEND. HOWEVER...GIVEN VALUES SEEN UPSTREAM LEADING

UP TO THIS EVENT...NOT READY TO BITE OFF ON THE 104 TO 108 VALUES

GIVEN BY GUIDANCE. WILL INSTEAD INDICATE 101 FOR ATL (TIES RECORD)

AND 102 TO 104 ELSEWHERE.

Our lows have gone from:

Wed: 56.8

Thu: 63.3

Fri: 74.5

STRONG 597 DM HIGH IS PROGGED TO SHIFT SE OVER THE AREA THROUGH

THIS AFTERNOON CONTINUING THE OPPRESSIVE AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS

CONDITIONS LOCALLY. TEMPERATURES ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO BE FAIRLY

TRICKY TODAY AS GUIDANCE IS MUCH HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS DAYS AND

THE QUESTION BECOMES IS GUIDANCE BETTER HANDLING THE EVENT OR DO

WE HAVE HISTORIC HEAT IN THE OFFING FOR THE AREA. LOOKING UPSTREAM

YESTERDAY...VALUES WERE 103 TO 105...BUT NOT THE 107 AND 108

GUIDANCE IS SHOWING FOR OUR AREA TODAY. LOOKED AT THE CIPS ANALOG

CASES FOR THIS EVENT AND FOR THE TOP 15 ANALOGS WE ARE SHOWING A

NEAR 100 PERCENT CHANCE OF SITES SEEING THE CENTURY MARK TODAY. IT

IS ALSO SHOWING A 60 PERCENT CHANCE OF 105 OR GREATER FOR THE

SOUTHERN TIER FOR THIS AFTERNOON. GIVEN THE ANOMALIES IN PLACE FOR

925MB TEMPERATURE WHICH IS MAXED OUT OVER NORTH GEORGIA...FEEL WE

COULD INDEED BREAK SOME LONG STANDING RECORDS ACROSS THE STATE

THROUGH THIS WEEKEND. HOWEVER...GIVEN VALUES SEEN UPSTREAM LEADING

UP TO THIS EVENT...NOT READY TO BITE OFF ON THE 104 TO 108 VALUES

GIVEN BY GUIDANCE. WILL INSTEAD INDICATE 101 FOR ATL (TIES RECORD)

AND 102 TO 104 ELSEWHERE.

Weird how they specifically forecast a lower temp just for ATL. They have me at 102 today. It's not that bad out now, mid-upper 80s and dry, although it definitely feels like late afternoon rather than morning.

I hate this type of heat,but it is still fascinating because its weather.I see a few Cirrus/cirrustratus clouds out there,will this shave 1 or 2 degrees off of the temps,to keep us from the all-time record here around upstate SC?

It is rather fascinating since normally if there is no chance of rain there is very little to talk about this time of year. But with record breaking 850mb temps and possible 105 to at least 110 temps, it's rather fun to watch. I hate hot weather but record breaking temps like this are something interesting.

Frank Strait Fan Club

In other news ... thunderstorms with a history today of causing winds to 90 mph is now moving into Kentucky and West Virginia, parts of VA and NC will also be hit this evening. These are not your typical severe thunderstorms, they mean business. Don't be caught outdoors when they get to you if you're in their path.

Like · · Share · 11 · 25 minutes ago ·

Let's see if he ends up right...

Frank Strait Fan Club

In other news ... thunderstorms with a history today of causing winds to 90 mph is now moving into Kentucky and West Virginia, parts of VA and NC will also be hit this evening. These are not your typical severe thunderstorms, they mean business. Don't be caught outdoors when they get to you if you're in their path.

Like · · Share · 25 minutes ago ·

Let's see if he ends up right...

The severe thunderstorm warnings on the southern end of that derecho are for wind only... with no actual convective cells

Archived