wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
May weather discussion

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you loop this time sensitive image you can see one of the better illustrations of a phenomenon I've often discussed in the past, where a dank heavy cold stagnated air mass gets dug in between the cordillera west, and the ocean east, and the rest of the atmosphere just rolls over it: http://weather.cod.e...ex.php?load=vis

Without any mechanics to move this crap ...it may as well be L.A. Basin smog - trapped! I have seen these sort of set ups survive 2 or even 3 synoptic cycles and still manage to persist. It's a condition unique to spring in New England.

Was June 2009 similar?

Boundary finally lifted a bit here. Made it to 80ish. Absolutely beautiful. Storms firing up again today across the boundary. Very weak wind fields and sufficient instability; sort of reminds me of seabreeze popcorn storms in SoFla.

You're in an utterly different world down there compared to the conditions we are suffering with up this way. Cloudy, occasional drizzle, temps locked 48-53 across the area. Hi Res imagery shows perfectly the pool of stagnated stuck cold dense air. Until mechanics come along sufficient to remove this, it doesn't appear it's going anywhere.

Tomorrow is a day where we don't really need much sfc-based instability to get some strong storms. The elevated instability (thanks in part to steep lapse rates and WAA in the llvls), steep lapse rates, and some helicity would be enough to yield to a strong storm or too with hail likely the main threat. Take a look at what's occurring near Ithica, NY right now as a prime example.

Yup--missing me bigtime here with only .05" overnight. Hopefully something will fire up later on or else this will be another cool, dank day.

47.0/47, foggy

We had a few heavier showers but the bulk of the action looks like it was farther south. Socked in, cool and damp. Suits me just fine.

looks like we are just about out of the worst of this stretch of grey skies/cool temps. slightly better % of the region sees some breaks of sun today, more tomorrow, then sunday most of us are cleared out finally.

disappointing the rain shield split around a lot of the region. but still a good signal for more rain next week so all is not lost on that front.

I think I'm about to get into some clearing here soon, can't see any breaks off to the west though. Then again, can't see very far as I'm flanked by 1400' hills to that direction just three miles away lol

I wouldn't be so sure. I see a pretty solid shield all the way back to the Binghamton, NY area...

I wouldn't be so sure. I see a pretty solid shield all the way back to the Binghamton, NY area...

LOL, the product I was looking at was from LAST YEAR's May 4th...wtf? Yeah it kind of does look crappy to the west now that I went somewhere else. lol, whoops.

sat_vis_ne.gif

Oh well, according to MRG 50 degrees and clouds is the best way to live life.

LOL, the product I was looking at was from LAST YEAR's May 4th...wtf? Yeah it kind of does look crappy to the west now that I went somewhere else. lol, whoops.

Oh well, according to MRG 50 degrees and clouds is the best way to live life.

the good thing is the mid-level stuff breaks not to far to your NW and the low-level junk is thinner not too far from you so you'll probably start to brighten/break out before too long.

the good thing is the mid-level stuff breaks not to far to your NW and the low-level junk is thinner not too far from you so you'll probably start to brighten/break out before too long.

Yeah, it's much brighter out the front window than any other, and that window faces roughly NW.

Yeah the low level stuff is quite thin... it's fairly bright here for being OVC.

I like the first sounding that comes up on the SPC page lol

last.gif

Archived