amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May weather discussion

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM blows the warm front through tomorrow. Big change from previous NAM runs.

Somewhat impressively unstable, too - convective indices are good in the LI, and CAPES would be up. I also see that as a helicity day, with mid level lingering NW flow over the top of SSW boundary layer ...veering near the top of the 0-6km depth.

Somewhat impressively unstable, too - convective indices are good in the LI, and CAPES would be up. I also see that as a helicity day, with mid level lingering NW flow over the top of SSW boundary layer ...veering near the top of the 0-6km depth.

Yeah I mentioned that in the NY thread. Those cluster of storms in the Hudson Valley could be interesting.

They'll probably be some sun on Sunday and Monday, but I don't see an overall regime change over the next 2 weeks to be honest. Unless the final 10 days are very mild, May could be in jeopardy of coming in near normal or a tiny bit below?

Thanks...all I want is average temps and sun...65-70 and sunny is great.

Please see my post on Page 1... It may take a long while...

Yeah I saw that, thanks Tip.

They'll probably be some sun on Sunday and Monday, but I don't see an overall regime change over the next 2 weeks to be honest. Unless the final 10 days are very mild, May could be in jeopardy of coming in near normal or a tiny bit below?

scott it seems that if we have this pattern for another 2 weeks (with average day time temps rising quickly/relatively speaking) we could be in line for something AT LEAST a tiny bit below normal....wouldn't u think...the possibility is on the table for something awful raw and damp and substantially below looking out .

scott it seems that if we have this pattern for another 2 weeks (with average day time temps rising quickly/relatively speaking) we could be in line for something AT LEAST a tiny bit below normal....wouldn't u think...the possibility is on the table for something awful raw and damp and substantially below looking out .

Yeah it could be a little below. I mean I guess if you have a situation where the trough is a little more west and the flow is more srly and humid..you could have warmer night departures, but it seems like the pattern argues for temps a little below right now.

maybe some good storms if the sun can come out

Seems like both the GFS and NAM are agreeing on low to mid 70s at BDL. Both also try to clear the clouds out later in the afternoon tomorrow. If that happens, they will be 75F+, if not, probably closer to 70F.

Dews are mighty juicy I might add...probably near 60F.

There will definitely be elevated instability tomorrow in most areas. Decent lapse rates with a big K-Index push of warm moist air arriving on a 30-50kt LL to ML jet. Looks like a decent chance of tstms tonight in many areas especially ORH-EWB on west perhaps? But, this may envelop all areas in the morning. SREFs shove this MCS actually through NNE so still some uncertainty it seems in placement. Euro is just SW of SREF placement.

Tomorrow may feature the warm sector tickling BDL, but may be a case where CT valley is cool from srly flow off the ocean to the south.Seems like SW CT into adjacent NY and NJ has a shot at some severe potential if instability is realized.

Sultan signal may be needed later next week. Looks cool and wet through the next two weeks, but it's possible it may transition to a more humid type pattern if the trough moves just a bit west. Not 80/65 humid..but maybe more of a 65/60 deal.

There will definitely be elevated instability tomorrow in most areas. Decent lapse rates with a big K-Index push of warm moist air arriving on a 30-50kt LL to ML jet. Looks like a decent chance of tstms tonight in many areas especially ORH-EWB on west perhaps? But, this may envelop all areas in the morning. SREFs shove this MCS actually through NNE so still some uncertainty it seems in placement. Euro is just SW of SREF placement.

Tomorrow may feature the warm sector tickling BDL, but may be a case where CT valley is cool from srly flow off the ocean to the south.Seems like SW CT into adjacent NY and NJ has a shot at some severe potential if instability is realized.

i think tomorrow would be an interesting day a little later in the spring/summer season. would have some good things going for it.

hopefully some good rains around the region with this...NAM soundings would suggest you could have downpours/storms rumbling through at just about anypoint.

i think tomorrow would be an interesting day a little later in the spring/summer season. would have some good things going for it.

hopefully some good rains around the region with this...NAM soundings would suggest you could have downpours/storms rumbling through at just about anypoint.

Yeah this isn't probably going to put out anything more than some heavy rain and some rumbles here..maybe DXR area sees more interesting stuff.

you don't see training severe in early May as far N as middle Michigan very often... That's really unusual actually... fascinating.

The problem with the warm boundary tomorrow is that is does have a narrow 6-9 hour window where the deep layer mechanics would allow it to get to central NE, but there are two forces in the lower troposphere conspiring to draw a circle around SNE and prevent warm penetration:

1) near saturated cold BL will not erode out without a 22kt (index finger method) southerly component at 850mb\

2) MCS activity adds to # 1

if you loop this time sensitive image you can see one of the better illustrations of a phenomenon I've often discussed in the past, where a dank heavy cold stagnated air mass gets dug in between the cordillera west, and the ocean east, and the rest of the atmosphere just rolls over it: http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/index.php?load=vis

Without any mechanics to move this crap ...it may as well be L.A. Basin smog - trapped! I have seen these sort of set ups survive 2 or even 3 synoptic cycles and still manage to persist. It's a condition unique to spring in New England.

Archived