• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part III

Typhoon Tip

LOL, doing squats with 5 squares of Charmin stuck to his legs.

He can't understand why everytime he approcahes the equipment people run away snickering..he thinks to himself" They must think I'm really strong and muscular, and does a few mirror flexes..."

It's only then as he turns around that he catches a glimpse of the white sheets taped to his legs, and realizes with sheer horror what has happened

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He can't understand why everytime he approcahes the equipment people run away snickering..he thinks to himself" They must think I'm really strong and muscular, and does a few mirror flexes..."

It's only then as he turns around that he catches a glimpse of the white sheets taped to his legs, and realizes with sheer horror what has happened

The worst is having to pull it out of his leg hair.

Wasn't 2010 mostly cold though? Not a 6 month torch?

For the nation as a whole, met winter was quite cold, but not for the Northeast. Lower 48 temp maps for Jan-Mar and Jan-Jun showed NNE, and Maine especially, sticking out like a bright red hammered thumb. Dec was about +3, and then the New Year's retro-bomb locked in the mild maritime air thru May. It's my warmest DJFM of 13 (quite possibly being topped this year), and when Apr and May are added, the 0.6F margin over #2, 2001-02, more than triples. For CAR, Jan-May 2010 was their mildest in 72 years of record, by 3.27F over #2. For context, the margin between #2 and #21 is 3.20F.

Slightly OT...but International Falls, MN was +44 yesterday (actual 78/60, normal 36/14, previous record low was 60...and records go back 100 years!)

Edit: just saw danstorm's post above...

9 of 10 days broke or tied the record high (1 tied) and 9 record high mins to boot.

They may cool to +20 or so the next few days ... virtual lock to be above +15 on the month. How many times has that happened anywhere (I realize the Falls is one of the places where it could happen but still)???

9 of 10 days broke or tied the record high (1 tied) and 9 record high mins to boot.

They may cool to +20 or so the next few days ... virtual lock to be above +15 on the month. How many times has that happened anywhere (I realize the Falls is one of the places where it could happen but still)???

Rochester MN is at +16 I believe.

Spring is in full bloom along the gold coast, colors abound.

What kind of bush/tree is that? Looks like an ivy covered wall and the trees (except for the Norwegian fir) are just getting started (if that). It's interesting to see what is blooming...I keep looking at my forsythia and it's got about a week or 10 days to go. Some are flowering in the valley, but not all.

For the nation as a whole, met winter was quite cold, but not for the Northeast. Lower 48 temp maps for Jan-Mar and Jan-Jun showed NNE, and Maine especially, sticking out like a bright red hammered thumb. Dec was about +3, and then the New Year's retro-bomb locked in the mild maritime air thru May. It's my warmest DJFM of 13 (quite possibly being topped this year), and when Apr and May are added, the 0.6F margin over #2, 2001-02, more than triples. For CAR, Jan-May 2010 was their mildest in 72 years of record, by 3.27F over #2. For context, the margin between #2 and #21 is 3.20F.

People still skied in droves though because the cities were cold and snowy depending on where you were.

I'm pushing 77 now.

I saw people mowing today when I ran out to lunch

I mowed my first property, full sun and was overseeded but still.......come on march 20?? The smell of onion grass filling the air was awesome and brought me back to my childhood and those first couple little league games of the spring.

Thankfully, things will slow down next week and we can settle into some more normal spring weather.

It is just amazing. From the Rockies to Bangor.

I mowed my first property, full sun and was overseeded but still.......come on march 20?? The smell of onion grass filling the air was awesome and brought me back to my childhood and those first couple little league games of the spring.

Thankfully, things will slow down next week and we can settle into some more normal spring weather.

My son's baseball coach, who has been coaching for 20 years, said last night's practice was the earliest outdoor one he has ever coached...by at least 2 weeks

I'm pretty sure it was bluewave who posted this before the wave really started, but he found that you had to go back to Jan '06 before you found monthly departures around what we are seeing now. Fargo was +16.5, but it was a consistent warmth with no departure over +26 or under +3. International Falls has had three days this month with a double-digit negative departure, and are still running +15ish.

Slightly OT...but International Falls, MN was +44 yesterday (actual 78/60, normal 36/14, previous record low was 60...and records go back 100 years!)

Edit: just saw danstorm's post above...

That is really impressive - 40F departures tend to be all time marks for any location, and most have never gotten there. Farmington has just once in their 119-yr records, in 12/30/1917 when -11/-36 was -40.5 compared to the normal (then) of 17.

Looking at all of Int. Falls, I think that ties their time departure, with 1/6/1909 when their coldest max/min/mean: -29/-55, was -44 compared to the norm of 13/-9. For the past 3 days, INL has been +40.5/+40/+44. Awesome!

That is really impressive - 40F departures tend to be all time marks for any location, and most have never gotten there. Farmington has just once in their 119-yr records, in 12/30/1917 when -11/-36 was -40.5 compared to the normal (then) of 17.

Looking at all of Int. Falls, I think that ties their time departure, with 1/6/1909 when their coldest max/min/mean: -29/-55, was -44 compared to the norm of 13/-9. For the past 3 days, INL has been +40.5/+40/+44. Awesome!

Alaska had a couple of locations with low -40 departures with their cold snap this winter. I'm pretty sure their standard deviation of temps is even higher than the northern plains sites though, so I'm not sure it is quite as impressive as what INL just experienced.

I'll be mowing Thursday I think..with my skis on though.

Archived