12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part III

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

72° F and sunny here. Already reached our forecast P&C high again. As such, it will likely bust low once again. I think I'll definitely reach 80° F on Thursday. I wouldn't rule out some upper 80s to near 90° F conditions in the Hudson and CT River Valleys. Absolutely ridiculous.

It just makes you really wonder how much AGW is behind this. Although you can't blame one particular event on AGW, there has been a notable tendency for warmer and drier Marches in reacent years. Regardless, this type of prolonged warmth in March must be unprecedented. Even though weather records only go back 100-150 years at most, I just wonder if this type of March warmth has ever occurred in the past 500+ years. If it has, it was probably only once or twice. I would tend to doubt it though. It's just that unreal to me.

It's like getting a 20" snowstorm in October ;)

I hope so and it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

This spring to me has 2010 written all over it.... excessive heat early (30+ departure type days at BTV with 80s around April 1st) with massive and swift snow melt... followed by a 2-3 foot snowstorm on April 28-29th that left snow cover even in some of the valleys on May 1st. BTV got over 6" in that storm only like 6 weeks from the solstice.

I mean that's a late snowstorm when you start getting near May 1st for elevations below 500ft.

Also 2002, which was nearly as mild for DJFM as was 2010, and mediocre for snow. However, Farmington got 8" from 2 storms during the last 5 days of April, then 3" on May 13. (Missed out on the late 2010 storm completely, though, nothing but cold rain.)

Edit: Even though weather records only go back 100-150 years at most, I just wonder if this type of March warmth has ever occurred in the past 500+ years. If it has, it was probably only once or twice. I would tend to doubt it though. It's just that unreal to me.

I'll nominate 1998. Though somewhat shorter and 10+ days later, it's peak was warmer in NNE than we're likely to see this time, IMO. Both PWM and SFM reached 88, IZG was 88-89 (don't have the numbers), and CON had 76/86/71/83/89 for March 27-31.

Areas are having a bit of a problem mixing out except FIT. ORH warmer than many stations means it's very warm just aloft and there may still be a weak inversion. Still...more ridiculous temps.

In addition to the ridiculous temps, dews hovering near 60 (59) here at KNYC now that the sun has burned off the fog. 71/59 to be precise. Just a typical chilly July day out there.

Not just Morchy, Mazy and Mumid.

When I went to DC in '09 on 3/18-3/20, the trees looked about on par with what we have now in new england...roughly. Cherry blossoms were a week and a half after I left, and this year they are already peak to past peak right now. So we are about on par with D.C as far as leaf out dates...about 20 days ahead of average. Looking outside I'd probably guess somewhere around 4/10 to 4/15 not 3/20.

PYM was 72 with ORH at 1pm. It's 75 here now. UNREAL.

Said this in an earlier Morch thread:

The 10 day period beginning this past Monday and lasting through next Thursday (at least) is without a doubt the longest duration, most impressive string of T Anoms - warm or cold - over a huge area that I have ever witnessed.

And I think it's even more impressive than anyone could have imagined.

Look at International Falls, MN!!! Yesterday's high/low was 78/60, for a daily departure of +44 ... the low of 60 matched their previous record high. Actual high shattered it by 18 degrees. They stand at +15.1 for the month.

No amount of !!! or emoticons will do those stats justice.

Said this in an earlier Morch thread:

The 10 day period beginning this past Monday and lasting through next Thursday (at least) is without a doubt the longest duration, most impressive string of T Anoms - warm or cold - over a huge area that I have ever witnessed.

And I think it's even more impressive than anyone could have imagined.

Look at International Falls, MN!!! Yesterday's high/low was 78/60, for a daily departure of +44 ... the low of 60 matched their previous record high. Actual high shattered it by 18 degrees. They stand at +15.1 for the month.

No amount of !!! or emoticons will do those stats justice.

Just wow. That's all you can say.

He lines the seat with TP..and it's so swampy in the bathroom, that the TP adheres itself to his hiney...he doesn't realize it,,and walks thru the gym and does his entire workout with two pieces of long TP glued to the back of his legs

LOL, doing squats with 5 squares of Charmin stuck to his legs.

Not SNE, but MBY had highs 37/39/34 those days (and 74/68 the past two, which took my snowcover down to just patches.)

Continued cool mornings, near 30, have meant daily means "only" in the +20 range. GYX has the foothills at low 80s Thursday from a low near 50. Farmington's normal mean for 3/22 is 31F, so verification would mean about +35, which is otherworldly. In almost 120 yr records, they've been +30 or greater on just six days, 5 in January and one possibly bogus day in Sept, 1895 - the 78F low for 9/23 is their tallest minimum for any day, any month, and is not supported by those few nearby locations with records going back that far. A +35 would trail only the +38 (62/48, normal 16.6F) on 1/14/1932. Otherworldly...

Slightly OT...but International Falls, MN was +44 yesterday (actual 78/60, normal 36/14, previous record low was 60...and records go back 100 years!)

Edit: just saw danstorm's post above...

Archived