• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part III

Typhoon Tip

Let's keep the obs and discussion fresh... Two days now of obscenity now in the record books, and incredibly, with a +4mb pp imbalance between HP in Down East Maine and that S of LI, the backdoor (in March!) halted penetration and already is retreating seaward over NE Mass. Simply ...awesome. Conventional wisdom would have it knocking on the door of NYC by now, with 45F as far inland as NE CT.

Still eying a pattern change of sorts ... I don't know, or I should say I don't have much confidence in how discerned it will be. The GEFs -derived teleconnectors are still timing the +PNA near month's end with a run in with Phase 7+MJO. The original points remain the same:

MJO has shown West Pac robustness already this last "uncold" season, and proved 0 winter fruits for the storm forsaken weary warriors back east. The "hope" here is that a seasonally differentiating R-count might finally make the preferred correlation action act like it is the preferred correlation - but you never know.

The trouble I'm having is the -NAO is unraveling now at CPC, and lost in the ESRL channel at CDC. Also, the current eastern ridge is happening during a +PNA according to the GEFs mean - that kind of sucks for cold weather enthusiasts.

So I got mixed emotions on that. The operational run have also been hinted pretty loudly that after the closed low opens up and passes through the MA, the ridge tries to come back somewhat. If the NAO fails to evolve negative and the MJO bends us over again... meaningful cool back might mean nothing more than average before another surge.

Thoughts?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's keep the obs and discussion fresh... Two days now of obscenity now in the record books, and incredibly, with a +4mb pp imbalance between HP in Down East Maine and that S of LI, the backdoor (in March!) halted penetration and already is retreating seaward over NE Mass. Simply ...awesome. Conventional wisdom would have it knocking on the door of NYC by now, with 45F as far inland as NE CT.

Still eying a pattern change of sorts ... I don't know, or I should say I don't have much confidence in how discerned it will be. The GEFs -derived teleconnectors are still timing the +PNA near month's end with a run in with Phase 7+MJO. The original points remain the same:

MJO has shown West Pac robustness already this last "uncold" season, and proved 0 winter fruits for the storm forsaken weary warriors back east. The "hope" here is that a seasonally differentiating R-count might finally make the preferred correlation action act like it is the preferred correlation - but you never know.

The trouble I'm having is the -NAO is unraveling now at CPC, and lost in the ESRL channel at CDC. Also, the current eastern ridge is happening during a +PNA according to the GEFs mean - that kind of sucks for cold weather enthusiasts.

So I got mixed emotions on that. The operational run have also been hinted pretty loudly that after the closed low opens up and passes through the MA, the ridge tries to come back somewhat. If the NAO fails to evolve negative and the MJO bends us over again... meaningful cool back might mean nothing more than average before another surge.

Thoughts?

The NAO aspect seemed rather weak on the 500MB anomaly charts. But, there has been a signal for ridging out west that would lead to the potential for cutoffs over the northeast. I think people are getting confused thinking it means frigid weather. To me I see the potential for a little bit of a yo-yo ride..with the potential for warmth, and cutoffs with marginal atmosphere to work with in higher elevations.

Thoughts?

My thought is the bolded part is going to be more right than wrong. I don't think payback is coming in April. A return to normal or thereabouts for a period of time. It can't be +30 for the running 30 day.

The NAO aspect seemed rather weak on the 500MB anomaly charts. But, there has been a signal for ridging out west that would lead to the potential for cutoffs over the northeast. I think people are getting confused thinking it means frigid weather. To me I see the potential for a little bit of a yo-yo ride..with the potential for warmth, and cutoffs with marginal atmosphere to work with in higher elevations.

Yeah...I basically agree with that Scott, but I think NAO does correlate on the pattern through spring. The PNA definitely wanes nearing May 1 ...but the first half of April is prone.

I think of that chart on April 1982, the day before the big one that year (I think it was April 8?) ...Anyway, there was a helluva frigid air mass in SE Canada that got overtop that negative tilter - in fact, might behoove us to check the EPO and NAO during the week run up to that event.

I also remember blowing snow at 3pm one April as recently as 2004 ...or 005... Meaningful cold can take place. It's this plaguing seasonal trend that killing me - insane. I have never seen the atmosphere be so singularly deconstructive toward one specific physical event - snow. Now that we're getting veritable heat waves in March ...seemingly unrelenting, and having operational runs trying build height back up next week.... I mean, what are we to think!

53F here. What is up with your heat retention?

We've dropped into the 50s now (just checked), but this spot does tend to run pretty mild in S/SW flow scenarios. I've noticed several times that I'm not as cold as the Worcester Hills or East Slope when winds are SW, or when in a radiational cooling scenario since we're much slower to decouple. Today was an absolute torch here although yesterday didn't get as warm as many other spots in the area.

Yeah...I basically agree with that Scott, but I think NAO does correlate on the pattern through spring. The PNA definitely wanes nearing May 1 ...but the first half of April is prone.

I think of that chart on April 1982, the day before the big one that year (I think it was April 8?) ...Anyway, there was a helluva frigid air mass in SE Canada that got overtop that negative tilter - in fact, might behoove us to check the EPO and NAO during the week run up to that event.

I also remember blowing snow at 3pm one April as recently as 2004 ...or 005... Meaningful cold can take place. It's this plaguing seasonal trend that killing me - insane. I have never seen the atmosphere be so singularly deconstructive toward one specific physical event - snow. Now that we're getting veritable heat waves in March ...seemingly unrelenting, and having operational runs trying build height back up next week.... I mean, what are we to think!

Yeah with the shorter wavelengths I think the NAO actually helps with this area, but the correlation actually begins to switch for the SE US and actually correlated to warmer temps. Anyways, that's more like May and June. In the meantime, we'll see how it goes later next week. Seems like the potential for storminess at the least?

not enough wind until thursday or friday

IN ADDITION...CONTINUED DRY WEATHER MAY COMBINED WITH LOW RELATIVE

HUMIDITIES AND GUSTY WINDS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. THIS MAY

EVENTUALLY RESULT IN THE NEED FOR FIRE WEATHER HEADLINES THURSDAY

AND ESPECIALLY FRIDAY.

Why are there no red flag warnings?

aug11mayacalendar.jpg

Yea this weather is "unbelievable" but when the hell are we going to get something interesting? I was just watching twc and the midwest is forecast for 6-12"+ of rain. WTF.

I think this airmass is more moist than your typical spring torch...the PWAT anomalies up north are ridiculous. It's in the low 70s in Michigan right now lol. BDL only dropped under 50% RH this afternoon for a short time.

An AFD from state college a couple days ago referenced PWATS around 6 to 7 standard deviations above normal, which is extraordinary

nice wx. haven't stopped by for a while but i usually on post in winter....

ski'd wildcat sunday "funday" and it was a blast....got a hell of a tan in short sleeves....at 4k summit it was at least 60 lol (seem'd like it)

nice walks around the lake in wakefield....chicks in shorts.......lets do 70's again tommorrow

enjoy everyone. BTV disco was fun to read....they said they'll be talkin bout this for years....i mean breaking records by 8-10 degrees . wow

Archived