12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part III

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The great melt of 2012 continues... down to around two feet now in the higher elevations. Loss of 4-5 feet since the beginning of March.

IMG_3686_edited-1.jpg

The end is near as we can now see the bottom of the tree wells.

IMG_3696_edited-1.jpg

Dude..that's pretty amazing..but most of us can't say it's surprising. Is this the fastest meltdown they've ever had u0p there?

Made it to 74 here today. Moved all the Garter snakes out of the well today. 12 total.

Was stepping on night crawlers last night!

Pulled down a just started wasp nest in between my front and storm doors.

Forsythia and Daffodils in full bloom. Rhododendron about to pop.

Crocus blooms are completely dead already.

For comparison the Crocus still looked great on 3/24/2011

post-847-0-00349600-1332456817.jpg

Dude..that's pretty amazing..but most of us can't say it's surprising. Is this the fastest meltdown they've ever had u0p there?

Its pretty close if it isn't... 1979-1980 I think saw similar lack of snow at this time, but I don't think anything will have gone as fast as this has gone. I mean its been averaging a foot per day for 3 days straight.

I'll admit I knew it was going to be warm but didn't quite grasp how quickly the natural snow would go. We're in sort of uncharted territory with this one. Once the snowpack became isothermal and then undermined by moving water, it was just ripe for the melting.

There was around 14" of water in the snowpack at 3,000ft, so the amount of water moving down the mountain is the equivalent of over a foot of rainfall in a 5 day period. There's water everywhere.

Man-made snow runs still have some melting to do but what was 8-10 feet deep is now only 4 feet deep.

IMG_3729_edited-1.jpg

okay, it's hot outside... Didn't want to admit it, but upon walking from one end of the building to the other, to sample this, I was looking forward to the environmental controls inside. Significantlly cooler inside than outside. Some 84s in the area, "feels" like an 86 or 87 type of deal out there though.

Try some man made AC, sweet

099542a5.jpg

lol at "Tarp"

to preserve the snowpack. Words cannot express size of the snow-weenie for that.

I used to do the same thing when I was a kid. We would tarp our "jumps" and vulnerable parts of our sledding runs. It seems perfectly normal to me. Hell, I even have a pile of snow right now a 2K that I've covered with sawdust to see if I can get it to last through May.

forsythia, cherry, magnolia in full bloom, crab apples, lilacs, wild rose, potentilla, and azalea have leafed out, red maples put out their sex parts, oak buds swelling, and my blueberry bush is about to go into full bloom...and as i type this it's 66 degrees and i'm listening to a full chorus of peepers...

and i am getting the first hints of a chaco tan line, and bathing suit top tan line...What a MARCH!

Water couldn't have been 43 or 44 tops. Offshore wind = upwelling. Depending on the temps Friday we may do so kayaking.

Record early date. No driftwood anywhere due to the lack of storms.

One of the little ones doing their first laps of the winter on the inside of the break. Tug boat pushing a barge after exiting the canal in the distance.

Archived