Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part III

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early summer season outlook:

“dry begets dry” …as the old climate adage goes. Although, heh, it didn’t work to well in ’09, with the wettest March ever followed by that inferno summer. But then again … that wet march was pretty local to New England, and our ‘heat’ comes from the Midwest most of the time – so there’s that to consider.

In general, dry continental springs tend to parlay into a lower dewy, higher temp type summers.

"dry begets dry" is often valid, and a real concern here, as Feb was 1/3 normal precip and March looks to end about the same. Add that to modest snowpack that leaves a month early, and it could be a dusty summer.

Just a nitpick, but that must have been a different 2009 than the one we had in Maine. PWM was about 1" below their avg for March, then had their wettest JJA on record with over 22". Their 79 yesterday was 1F higher than they saw in all of June, 2009, and met summer didn't see warmer than 80 until the last week of July. (They did hit 91 in May.) Did I miss the sarcasm alert, or did you mean 2010?

Other than someones weenie station in the sun, I can't see places getting that warm. 86 maybe.

Maybe not in SNE, but I'm beginning to wonder about Maine. At noon, there were about ten stations here with temps 78-81; tops I saw for SNE (among major stations) was BDL at 75. Dews are about 10F lower up here, so maybe it's because the sun doesn't have to warm as much water vapor (or something.)

Maybe not in SNE, but I'm beginning to wonder about Maine. At noon, there were about ten stations here with temps 78-81; tops I saw for SNE (among major stations) was BDL at 75. Dews are about 10F lower up here, so maybe it's because the sun doesn't have to warm as much water vapor (or something.)

Temps will slow there rise like yesterday I think but maybe someone gets to 87? Either way who cares its warm!

The low-level airmass is warmer over Maine than it is over SNE. Western New England is actually under slightl cold advection due to the leftover marine layer to the SW.

Already 82F at my place.

Early summer season outlook:

“dry begets dry” …as the old climate adage goes. Although, heh, it didn’t work to well in ’09, with the wettest March ever followed by that inferno summer. But then again … that wet march was pretty local to New England, and our ‘heat’ comes from the Midwest most of the time – so there’s that to consider.

In general, dry continental springs tend to parlay into a lower dewy, higher temp type summers.

We had a cool summer in 2009.

76.1\59

I mentioned that yesterday. Models had the warmest air aloft in sw maine as well (14C-15C) which I thought would translate to 85-87F at the surface with the dry BL

71.1° F right now. Not as high as I would've expected at this point. As such, I will probably fall short of 80° F. I did not hit it at all this week. We had some murk to burn off this morning, but it was much quicker than yesterday since it didn't dissipate until after noon yesterday.

It's a beautiful June day here.

Holy cow, I just looked up and saw a number of trees with forming leaves! That's insane. If we had some rain right now, I bet things would green up ridiculously fast

ASOUT.

Although I looked a little more carefully on my way home yesterday and for the larger trees that I thought had leaves out I think it's more likely that it was their buds blooming rather than actual leaves but it was hard to tell from the ground. A ton of the smaller trees here have leaves out as do the weeping willows and a near majority of the flowering trees all have their leaves out. But the big maples and other trees like that had their buds/flowers/whatever they are all out but don't quite have their leaves out yet, not sure what the lag is for their bud out to when they put their leaves out.

Archived