• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Up to 75F at MVL... this is nuts. I had the windows open all last night and was still hot while sleeping.

The snow is melting, but at the same time I'm surprised at how tenacious some of the stuff is. Even down around 1,000ft and just below in elevation, there are still areas where its hanging, even after a full 72 hour assault so far. And although its melting quickly up higher, if this low elevation stuff can hang on for days, maybe the entire mountain won't be completely bare when this is over, haha.

This is at the base of Notchbrook and Harlow Hill at around 950ft.

IMG_3616_edited-2.jpg

IMG_3614_edited-2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

75F for the high today. went on a run at 430 at the peak of the warmth, and where there was snow still on the ground in the woods, the temp was a solid 15F colder. So cool

I love that... every once in a while you'll get a blast of cold air that comes out of the woods or a hollow/drainage where there's snow still hiding out. Such a cool effect. Even while skiing if you are in the sun its all warm and then you get into the shade and the refrigerator effect takes over and it can feel downright cold. Walking down the road I bet there are some 20F+ temp differences in areas between a deep, shaded gully with solid snow cover still, and the warm air in the sun over the road surface.

I love that... every once in a while you'll get a blast of cold air that comes out of the woods or a hollow/drainage where there's snow still hiding out. Such a cool effect. Even while skiing if you are in the sun its all warm and then you get into the shade and the refrigerator effect takes over and it can feel downright cold. Walking down the road I bet there are some 20F+ temp differences in areas between a deep, shaded gully with solid snow cover still, and the warm air in the sun over the road surface.

Yeah! I was running on the road around campus and there is a section that is secluded and very shady. It winds it's way back toward our residence halls and during the year there was a solid 24" because the sun never hit the area. It's down to about 4" of cement now but man was it cold over there. I was in a cut off shirt and shorts and it went from down right sweaty to holy sh*t cold in a matter of like 2 feet lol

Felt that quite a bit today, one run in particular was probably 35 degrees colder , it was 76 and that 1/4 mile area was 40's in fact the snow was still frozen dry.

This is a cool time lapse loop view of Mansfield yesterday... the cloud development over the mountain is pretty cool as its just the same exact cloud size and shape that keeps popping up over the mountain. I always find myself thinking about upslope, (haha) and its cool that you can see how that development likely takes place; the upslope snow showers/squalls are like the cloud over the mountain... just continual redevelopment all day long while sometimes pushing downstream over town.

Jesse Schloff gets the credit for this one.

http://www.jesseschloffphotography.com/Other/Videos/Mansfield-Time-Lapse-Videos/22014518_tT4BTr#!i=1756399416&k=VtKRS9T&lb=1&s=A

Anyone heard from MaineJayhawk?

lol ... I'm here, Dave. Been busy with work, NCAA tournament, carousing with girlfriend and (most importantly) temporary lack of internet at the spacious Jayhawk Estates.

Anywhooo ... wtf is with this weather?? Looks like PWM has hit a new record high the past two days and could do it the next three as well. The lake I saw people walking on last week had a couple of canoeists on it yesterday. Crazy, crazy, crazy. Slept with my windows fully open last night.

Welcome to Spring!!! That long harsh winter is finally over! ;)

I enjoyed this tidbit from this morning's AFD from BTV:

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

THROUGH MARCH 18TH...AVERAGE TEMPERATURE DEPARTURE FROM NORMAL IS

+12.6F AT BTV SO FAR THIS MONTH. THE LAST BELOW NORMAL MONTH AT

BTV IN TERMS OF MEAN TEMPERATURE WAS MARCH 2011 (-0.9F)...AND

THIS MONTH WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY MAKE IT 12 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS

ABOVE NORMAL.

When I've walked on 20-30+" snow in the woods during the first seriously mild (think, 60 or better) wx of spring, I'd feel alternating puffs of warm and cold air wafting on the breeze, as the open ahrdwood land allowed far greater warming than beneath the black growth. This, plus the occasional "whumps" from snow settling as I walked on it, meant that spring had finally come in the north.

Back down around 30 with frost again this morning, after yesterday's 68/30. Depending on how much things tend toward the norms after Thursday, this month has a good chance of topping 3/2010 as my warmest March, and nearly as good a chance for beating that "winter" for mildest DJFM. Assuming the forecast is close to verifying, this week will produce my 4 warmest March days at this location, though I think the 85 in Gardiner on 3/31/98 is safe (for me, anyway. Might get beaten at spots like IZG/SFM.)

Snow is down to "T", with only patches remaining. Dug 12-15 lb of carrots yesterday before they could wake up and try to begin their seed year. Only lost a few to rodents or inadequate leaf mulch.

This is impressive:

Welcome to Spring!!! That long harsh winter is finally over! ;)

I enjoyed this tidbit from this morning's AFD from BTV:

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

THROUGH MARCH 18TH...AVERAGE TEMPERATURE DEPARTURE FROM NORMAL IS

+12.6F AT BTV SO FAR THIS MONTH. THE LAST BELOW NORMAL MONTH AT

BTV IN TERMS OF MEAN TEMPERATURE WAS MARCH 2011 (-0.9F)...AND

THIS MONTH WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY MAKE IT 12 CONSECUTIVE MONTHS

ABOVE NORMAL.

Makes me wanna look at what the longest stretch above or below normal there has been. 12 months above normal is pretty astounding.

I wonder what would be more anomalous for CON...a 22" snowstorm in October or 5 straight days of 80s centered around the March equinox.

I would have to say 5 straight days of 80's in mid to late March. One, two or three days maybe but five days must be once in a 250-500 year event. The 22" came right at the tail end of October.

So far I have had 77.8F, 77.8F and so far today a 76.6F and still rising. With 2 more days near or above 80F this heat may even be a more anomalous event for the highlands of Central/ NNE.

Another way to look how unusual this heat wave is, is to look at Quebec. A small town 400 miles north of the US/Canada boarder is called Chibougamau. It is the furthest north roads go if you go due north of New Hampshire. Anyhow right now at 3pm they are at 70F. Their all time March high was 60F till today. So they are breaking their monthly all time by at least 10F on March 20th. That is unheard of!

More typical march temps looking ahead to this weekend, Summer will be over for now...

Yeah looking at some of the 12z data, it looks like this weekend will still above average (especially Saturday). Average highs for this weekend run from 42F-45F across the region and i think Saturday will be in the low 50s, and Sunday near normal or slightly above.

Looking beyond that, next week could end up being cooler than normal with highs in the 30s (ew), but beyond that trough behind the departing system, it looks to warm back up into the 50s and perhaps 60s by the end of next week.

I think a solid spring pattern will be hard up here, but we are definitely entering a time where we could have extended days in the 50s and maybe 60s, but then get back doored into the 30s and 40s for a few days as well. Roller coaster ride in temperatures for sure as we head forward toward spring.

AUG up to 68 at 1 PM, will probably top out closer to Sunday's 76 than yesterday's 71.

Well, that was correct, but not the way I thought, as AUG was 77 at 4 PM (and probably was a tick or two warmer earlier.) Foothills progged for low 80s tomorrow, upper 70s Thurs, just the reverse of the AM forecast. Front getting close enough to limit sunshine a bit?

Well, that was correct, but not the way I thought, as AUG was 77 at 4 PM (and probably was a tick or two warmer earlier.) Foothills progged for low 80s tomorrow, upper 70s Thurs, just the reverse of the AM forecast. Front getting close enough to limit sunshine a bit?

The Euro looks fairly clear to me for Thursday. A lot of the models aren't mixing up as high as they originally were for whatever reason so 2m temps and MOS temps are a bit down. I think I'd go warmer.

LOL that's identical to what I've had. Three days of 77-78 highs.

If we get some highs in the 30s at all that will feel like a shock. Two nights in a row I've slept with windows wide open.

Trifecta for me! Sunday, Monday and today all 77.8F! Whats the chance of that happening. I had ice out in my pond today. My pond is totally dependent on run off from my fields and snow melt is what keeps it bank full going into the warm weather months. It is not even full and no more melting into it. Going to be a dry spring unless something changes!

Made it to 78.3 in the Monadnocks, another torch here at 1200' elevation. Looks like it should stay near 80F until a modest cool-down Friday.

Man I can't believe the one year you live in a sickest location for snow in the BOX CWA and absolutely nothing happens. I remember thinking about how sweet that spot would be during coastal bombs... you going to be there next winter? If not, you know Rindge will end up with 150" and a 50" depth next winter ;)

Man I can't believe the one year you live in a sickest location for snow in the BOX CWA and absolutely nothing happens. I remember thinking about how sweet that spot would be during coastal bombs... you going to be there next winter? If not, you know Rindge will end up with 150" and a 50" depth next winter ;)

We did well in the 10/29 storm with 25", but that was pretty much it for the winter. The only decent storm of the actual cold season was the 2/29-3/1 event that dumped 10", but Dec-Feb was absolutely horrendous this year. March has been more like May/June, unreal temperatures for this elevation. It was pretty much a nothing winter...we'll finish with around 60" in all probability, which is 75% of climo, but that statistic hides the true lack of wintertime snows and snow pack that characterized the 2011-12 winter.

I don't know about next year...I've been interviewing for urban teaching fellowships where I'd work for NYC or DC as a full-time teacher and also have some help with my Masters/certification. I'd definitely take one of those positions if it is offered given the much higher salary and opportunity to get my license done. I'm working at a tiny boarding school right now so I'm not getting the greatest compensation for a very tough job with special needs kids (mostly Asperger's Syndrome).

Archived