joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i completely enjoyed the warm weather, but so did my blueberry bush...it is loaded with buds...and now the month of march is returning with a vengeance...lows in the mid 20's the next two night...

do you think if i put a trash bag over my blueberry bush i can save it? i'm getting a bit panicky over what to do :(

Won't really make any difference unless there is a heat source for the bag to trap in. If you have a long enough outdoor extension cord, you can wrap the bush in 2-4 strings of christmas lights before bagging. I use a scaled up method to hold my 9 foot tall southern magnolia above freezing all winter.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.09” L.E.

The ground was white this morning when I looked out around 5:30 A.M., and upon checking the snowboard at 6:00 A.M. there was 0.5” of snow down, with moderate snow falling in the form of 2-8 mm diameter flakes. I hadn’t really expected much in the way of snow overnight, so the rain/snow gauge was still in rain mode, with 0.14” of liquid in the inner cylinder and the top funnel clogged with snow. The snow on the board contained 0.09” of liquid, so summed with the rain in the cylinder, which was generally from yesterday prior to the overnight frontal passage, it revealed 0.23” of total liquid in the past 24 hours. Since the snow is rather dense (18.0% H2O) I suspect there’s a little rain in there, but with no accurate way to dissect apart the real contributions from rain and snow in the gauge, the sum of the gauge liquid and board snow will likely be the best representation of liquid acquired at our location over the past 24 hours.

I left the house not long after my observations, with what looked like another tenth of an inch down, and continued steady snowfall. The snowfall continued in Waterbury and on toward Bolton and Jonesville, but had tapered off such that there was nothing falling in Richmond, and no accumulation of any sort on the ground there. In Burlington, there was a skiff of new snow in surfaces such as mulch etc.

A few seasonal notes: This morning’s snowfall was the first in over two weeks, and brings the March total at our location to 13.4”, but that is still over a foot below the monthly average based on my data. Currently, season snowfall stands at 114.0”, which is running behind ‘09-‘10 snowfall by only 5.6”.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.6

Snow Density: 18.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Won't really make any difference unless there is a heat source for the bag to trap in. If you have a long enough outdoor extension cord, you can wrap the bush in a 2-4 strings of christmas lights before bagging. I use a scaled up method to hold my 9 foot tall southern magnolia above freezing all winter.

yea, i was thinking about putting the bag ove the bush while the sun was still up so it could heat up the interior and then hopefully that would work...

but that idea about christmas lights, that's ingenious! i might just go and do that! if i can save my blueberry bush, ironically i will get the best harvest out of it since i planted it! it is loaded to the brim with buds!

yea, i was thinking about putting the bag ove the bush while the sun was still up so it could heat up the interior and then hopefully that would work...

It would work right up until the sun sets. A plastic bag has essentialy zero R-value. A continuous, spread out heat source is essential if it's going to be more than a few degrees below freezing. Christmas lights are just perfect in this application.

but that idea about christmas lights, that's ingenious! i might just go and do that! if i can save my blueberry bush, ironically i will get the best harvest out of it since i planted it! it is loaded to the brim with buds!

And what did we learn about blackbodies? ;)

The bush will emit some longwave like all plants do but as Scott said it will rapidly lose heat after sunset with clear skies.

There’s nothing more to report from here other than the additional 0.1” of snow that fell after the 6:00 A.M. observations, so 0.6” goes down as the total for this event. The snow has stuck around in many of the sheltered areas here at the house, and indeed on my trip back from Burlington today, I saw that south facing slopes all the way down at the bottom of the Winooski Valley were still holding snow as I passed through the spine. The next potential shot of snow looks to be around the midweek period.

BTV's discussion about the midweek snow...

MAIN ENERGY AND LIFT

ASSOCIATED WITH THE SURFACE LOW AND UPPER TROUGH TRACKING ALONG

THE INTL BORDER LOOKS TO STAY NORTH OF THE REGION UNTIL WEDNESDAY

NIGHT WHEN IT DROPS SOUTHEASTWARD THROUGH CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN

NEW ENGLAND. FEEL THIS WILL BE OUR BEST CHANCE FOR PRECIP WHICH

WILL START AS RAIN...BUT TRANSITION SNOW OVERNIGHT PER THERMAL

PROFILES OF FORECAST SOUNDINGS. WITH AMPLE LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND

SURFACE/UPPER FLOW TURNING TO THE NORTHWEST...FEEL THERE`S GOOD

SUPPORT FOR ENHANCED PRECIP ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN

MOUNTAINS AS WELL. COULD BE LOOKING AT A COUPLE OF INCHES OF

ACCUMULATION BY THURSDAY MORNING ABOVE 1500 FT...WITH ONLY A

DUSTING TO MAYBE AN INCH AT THE VALLEY FLOOR. UPSLOPE SNOWS CONTINUE

GOING INTO THURSDAY MORNING BUT THE TREND WILL BE TOWARDS DRIER

CONDITIONS THROUGH THE DAY AS AN UPPER RIDGE APPROACHES FROM THE

WEST.

I have a good feeling about thursday. That Low drops right over the greens. 4 inches of wet snow is well within reason above 2000ft. Which will ski tremendously well in all truth.

QPF getting bumped up a bit, and possibly coming somewhat earlier - mostly pre-dawn rather than mid-morn. May those trends continue...

In looking at my March data, I saw that MBY has had a 91F spread between high and low, -11 on 3/6 and 80 on 3/22. I'm pretty sure that's the first 90+ span I've had in a calendar month. Closest are probably my 1st month in Ft.Kent, Jan. 1976, with 46/-41, and three years later in Jan. 1979 with 41/-47. BML span for March is one better, with the same -11 on 3/6 but 81 on the 22nd. Also checked out 1998, which topped out about 5F warmer than last week, albeit in a much briefer hot spell. Broadest I could find was CON with 89 on 3/31 and 3 earlier in the month.

Nice cold morning--bottomed out at 16.

Came home last evening to the top half of this fir tree along our driveway snapped off from the wind yesterday & fetched up in another tree and the powerline leading to our house. Amazingly, we didn't loose power because of it. It's not a very good shot, but you get the picture, pun fully intended. You can see the powerline, what's left of the tree and the utility pole to the right and the house being just out of sight.

7021151065_6601ee86cc_z.jpg

Here's the same tree from a different perspective on a fine winter's morn back in the epic February of 2008:

2327036276_3d3e7085ec.jpg

Nice cold morning--bottomed out at 16.

Came home last evening to the top half of this fir tree along our driveway snapped off from the wind yesterday & fetched up in another tree and the powerline leading to our house. Amazingly, we didn't loose power because of it. It's not a very good shot, but you get the picture, pun fully intended. You can see the powerline, what's left of the tree and the utility pole to the right and the house being just out of sight.

The Rev would be jealous. Heavy heavy damage.

Indeed, and there were pine cones all over the yard too. The horror. :arrowhead:

Not a bad idea. I'll see if it'll fit. ;)

Better get them scooped up as fast as you can, Don't want the acid from the cones destroying the lawn, You would need several applications of Lesco to repair the damage

I've been crazy busy all day as I near my Spring break this Friday. After pouring over some data it looks rather 'meh' to me for snow chances outside the highest terrain.

Currently 29F with increasing clouds coming in from the northwest. Some one might get lucky in the higher elevations and sneak in a few inches total by Thursday morning, but with the late March sun, almost nothing will stick during the daytime unless there is some crazy weenie banding sets up which is basically not happening as the vortmax passes right over us.

It actually looks to be rain at most elevations at closer inspection with 850's above zero and the surface being in the lower 40s. Once the sun sets tomorrow and the low tracks to our southeast, there may be a period of snow and then some upslope enhancement on NW facing slopes which could amount to a few inches in the highest terrain. We may wet bulb down into the mid to upper 30s if we can get any heavier rates due to the dry mid and lower levels.

Tomorrow is going to be one of those days where you really hate being in NNE in early spring, featuring rain and snow showers that amount to nothing and temps in the upper 30s to low 40s.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

At some point last night we picked up a couple tenths of an inch of snow, which appears to be the first salvo from the low pressure moving to the southeast out of Canada. Additional precipitation is expected from this system through tomorrow.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: Trace

Archived