• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

31° at my house this morning, we had a frost. Hope it doesn't hurt the garden too much, wait a minute, it's March not May! This is ridiculous. In all seriousness, I'm starting to think about drought. There is snowpack in the higher elevations but it is a relatively small amount and whereas a lot of places would have some water locked up in the snowpack, there is virtually none over large parts of the state. I think that for those with shallow wells or springs it bears watching.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I got home yesterday evening I checked at the back yard stake and found that the snowpack around it was down to the last crusty bits, and they were under ½” deep. I didn’t get a chance to check on it in the dark this morning, but that dense snow likely hung around with the colder temperatures overnight, so a “Trace” value went into my CoCoRaHS report for this morning. With the amount that was left, I suspect it will disappear today though, so March 14 will probably be the last entry for the continuous snowpack at the stake location this season. Not surprisingly, this is 2-3 weeks earlier than the average derived from my data from the last several seasons, although it’s actually the exact same date as occurred during the ‘09-‘10 season, so clearly not uncommon. What probably is uncommon though is the coupling of that date with such a very late start to the continuous snowpack for this season, which was on December 23, about 3-4 weeks later than average. Thus the period of continuous snowpack coverage at the stake has been less than 3 months this season, whereas normally it is in the range of 4-5 months. With the snow at the stake going to zero, that means that snow coverage in the yard is in the 50/50 range, and there was enough snow free area available that Mom and the boys made use of it by playing some ball out back yesterday evening. The average melt out for the yard is mid April, but clearly this season is running on the early side. Based on what I see for the snow I’d typically expect it to be around for a couple more weeks, but there are some warm days forecast in the next week, so we’ll have to see how quickly the melting process proceeds.

Yesterday's high of 54 came with more clouds than sun, and only dropped the snow depth by an inch, now at 7" this morning. Going into March I've had 67 days with 1" or more snow OG. In 1999-2000, the year with zero snowcover in Dec, my total was 86 days, and the next lowest was 107. (Avg is 123, highest 146 in 2002-03.) My guess is that the stake drops to zero either Sunday or Monday - upper 60s forecast for both days, leaving this year a day or two below 99-00, pending anything that might fall after this torch passes (assuming it does.)

Snowing on Mansfield right now... snow level is around 2,000ft but I doubt anything would stick right now until up around 2,500ft. Snow level should slowly lower as this upslope flow gets going.

30F at 3,600ft top of the Quad...38F and falling at 1,500ft base. We are at 42F with rain in town.

Come on NW flow... give us a solid burst this afternoon. Nice bright banding in the northern Champlain Valley.

Snowing on Mansfield right now... snow level is around 2,000ft but I doubt anything would stick right now until up around 2,500ft. Snow level should slowly lower as this upslope flow gets going.

30F at 3,600ft top of the Quad...38F and falling at 1,500ft base. We are at 42F with rain in town.

Come on NW flow... give us a solid burst this afternoon. Nice bright banding in the northern Champlain Valley.

Wow, no kidding. 45F and cloudy over this way.

http://www.wrh.noaa....NV1&banner=gmap

Even snuck down to 29F briefly up top... 30F at this station at 3,950ft... also 30F at our 3,600ft top lift terminal.

Yeah, looks as though MVL is down to 42F and raining. Looks like BTV's WRF picked up on 0.1-0.25" qpf this afternoon and into the evening.

It has surface temps in the mid-upper 30s however. Upslope enhancement usually expands and cools the air, however, so going off raw model guided temps probably isn't the best way to go. If I had analyzed the data, it would have been clear that there should be some light snow up top. Oops lol

Snow is melting quick....patchy cover below 1000ft with some properties completely snow-free and others with full cover...depends on aspect. Up at the mountain there is 8-10 inches of crusty snow on the level surfaces at 1500ft though I doubt that's representative of that elevation throughout northern VT because Mansfield proper is a snowfall maximum all winter long. Solid cover in the woods begins around 1400ft.

-SN here, We have a dusting on the ground 32.0F, Short lived before the ongoing torch, I have mentioned to a few folks around here that i would not be surprised if we get a big dump either the end of the month or the 1st weeks into April, That would just be fitting end to this mediocre winter

36.1F with drizzle still. At this point, it might as well snow LOL awaiting my 75-80F mid week next week, which I think is a distinct possibility at lower elevations.

Even Mansfield may flirt with 60-65F up top.

Mother nature is fooking with a lot of stuff, My red maple and oaks iare already starting to show signs of budding which is way early

Mother nature is fooking with a lot of stuff, My red maple and oaks iare already starting to show signs of budding which is way early

Yeah, how long have you lived up there in the dirty Lew(sorry, I heard you say it once a while back and I'm hooked LOL) ? I'm curious to leaf out climo up this way compared to SNE. It's obviously later, but by how much?

Last year was definitely late, with leaves not coming out until late May up here.

Yeah, how long have you lived up there in the dirty Lew(sorry, I heard you say it once a while back and I'm hooked LOL) ? I'm curious to leaf out climo up this way compared to SNE. It's obviously later, but by how much?

Last year was definitely late, with leaves not coming out until late May up here.

lol on the dirty lew, 54 yrs, Leaf out usually takes place the first to mid april most years up here in southern maine, I am guessing you are in between where i am and northern maine as it is mid to late may up there

Had a brief snowshower upon arriving home from work last night (briefly considered getting naked and running around in it) and had a dusting on the hot rod this morning.

Picked up a half inch last night to whiten things up. Should be back to bare ground by the end of the day. Some big totals around Machias (9") and Caribou is reporting 11.5".

Picked up 0.3" overnight of snow here, Whitened it up some but will be gone today as we continue with these plus departures on temps heading into the weekend and next week

But but but but, I thought it won't snow in this pattern?

Archived