• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Love the BTV discussions...these folks seem to know most of us are "outdoors" type of people up here and always throw little nuggets in there that the general population in most places could care less about.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 400 AM EDT SATURDAY...FCST CHALLENGE WL BE TIMING OF LOW

CLOUDS/FOG DISSIPATING...FOLLOWED BY VERY WARM TEMPS. SFC ANALYSIS

PLACES 1028MB HIGH PRES ACRS THE OTTAWA VALLEY...WHICH WL SLIDE

SOUTHEAST INTO OUR CWA TODAY. THIS COMBINED WITH A LOWERING

SUBSIDENCE INVERISON PER SOUNDINGS WL RESULT IN MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES

DEVELOPING ACRS THE FA. SOUNDINGS SHOW VERY SHALLOW SFC THRU 925MB

RH THRU 15Z TODAY...THEN A VERY DEEP DRY LAYER...WHICH WL PROVIDE

CWA WITH PLENTY OF SUNSHINE. GIVEN SHALLOW NATURE OF

MOISTURE...WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF SUMMITS ARE ABOVE THE CLOUDS

THIS MORNING.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Borderwx--yes, I've seen & heard some geese recently too. I've heard the honkers up in the sky and I've seen a few paddling about in the CT River. Not many yet, but a few.

Speaking of sightings, has anyone seen or heard of bear activity yet? I haven't and I'm surprised. I'm on the Upper Valley birding list-serve and usually it lights up with bear reports when things thaw and I haven't seen anything yet. My feeders are still out--one of them has bear tooth puncture marks through the plastic from a few years back. ;)

34F with mostly clear skies early this morning. Thankfully we can start off sunny right away without having to evaporate low clouds.

Murky as hell here this morning. Looking forward to things burning off--we've been socked in for a few days now.

Had a high of 37 yesterday, low of 34, currently 36. How's that for consistency, lol?

Murky as hell here this morning. Looking forward to things burning off--we've been socked in for a few days now.

Had a high of 37 yesterday, low of 34, currently 36. How's that for consistency, lol?

we were 39/34 yesterday. As I like to say...days of low range causes derange.

Love the BTV discussions...these folks seem to know most of us are "outdoors" type of people up here and always throw little nuggets in there that the general population in most places could care less about.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 400 AM EDT SATURDAY...FCST CHALLENGE WL BE TIMING OF LOW

CLOUDS/FOG DISSIPATING...FOLLOWED BY VERY WARM TEMPS. SFC ANALYSIS

PLACES 1028MB HIGH PRES ACRS THE OTTAWA VALLEY...WHICH WL SLIDE

SOUTHEAST INTO OUR CWA TODAY. THIS COMBINED WITH A LOWERING

SUBSIDENCE INVERISON PER SOUNDINGS WL RESULT IN MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES

DEVELOPING ACRS THE FA. SOUNDINGS SHOW VERY SHALLOW SFC THRU 925MB

RH THRU 15Z TODAY...THEN A VERY DEEP DRY LAYER...WHICH WL PROVIDE

CWA WITH PLENTY OF SUNSHINE. GIVEN SHALLOW NATURE OF

MOISTURE...WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF SUMMITS ARE ABOVE THE CLOUDS

THIS MORNING.

BTV nailed it... absolutely stunning morning up high with full sunshine and the summits gleaming out of the clouds. Looks murky down in the valleys from Stowe to Waterbury and then the Winooski Valley out towards Montpelier and back towards the Champlain Valley. Champlain Valley looks pretty socked in. Looking north there's less fog and cloud cover.

I love undercast being up in the sunshine when you know its murky, dark, and damp down below.

35 and overcast is no way to start a torch.

the ice on lily pond will be gone by tomorrow, and lake winnipesaukee usually follows within 7-10 days. this inferno torch should speed that up.

I have a feeling this will be one of those years where the ice breaks up and then all gets blown into one bay, delaying the call of ice out even though 95% of the lake will be clear.

What do ya know? 30F here this morning.

The mud is frozen! Time to shuffle the rigs around and point them out the driveway (pic from a few years back, but our driveway all the same).

2437355048_67904db21d.jpg

Knock on wood, the mud actually hasn't been all that bad this year so far. I'd say it's the easiest mud season we've had since we've lived here.

They don't make CR123 batteries like they used to. I'm lucky if I can get 3 months out of them now, even in my VP2's ISS and the anemometer transmitter which have the solar panels.

With four stations, the low battery warning never seems to disappear off the console for long. When I first got my station back in 2005, the battery in the ISS lasted more than 2 years. :(

They don't make CR123 batteries like they used to. I'm lucky if I can get 3 months out of them now, even in my VP2's ISS and the anemometer transmitter which have the solar panels.

With four stations, the low battery warning never seems to disappear off the console for long. When I first got my station back in 2005, the battery in the ISS lasted more than 2 years. :(

i just have a little something that tells me the pressure trend, %humidity, and indoor and outdoor temp...the battery for the outside temp sensor is a crxxx, it's about the size of a nickel...and the first battery i ever put in the sensor lasted over a year...now i think they are lasting 3months...

stupid capitalism!

YES. I've noticed the same thing. I go through them like crazy now. Ever since Energizer has gone from those blue ones to the black they've been crud.

A few from this morning. woke up to 44F here at the house. 35F at the base of Jay. Way warmer at the top.

IMG_2895.jpg

Mud still soft at the summit. Guess I lean a little to the left. Looking down range. PF's place standing tall out there.

IMG_2901.jpg

No snow to be seen on this east side valley. Nice paint brush work this morning by mother nature.

IMG_2905.jpg

Got a feeling things are gonna be greening up pretty quick. we're over 60F already.

IMG_2906.jpg

FTW

...THE CONCORD NH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR MARCH 18 2012...
VALID TODAY AS OF 0400 PM LOCAL TIME.
CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2012

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
	   VALUE   (LST)  VALUE	   VALUE  FROM	  YEAR
					  NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
TODAY
 MAXIMUM		 81R   253 PM  67	2011  44	 37	   67
 MINIMUM		 29	204 AM -13	1967  23	  6	   32
 AVERAGE		 55				 34	   21	   50

A few from this morning. woke up to 44F here at the house. 35F at the base of Jay. Way warmer at the top.

IMG_2895.jpg

Mud still soft at the summit. Guess I lean a little to the left. Looking down range. PF's place standing tall out there.

IMG_2901.jpg

No snow to be seen on this east side valley. Nice paint brush work this morning by mother nature.

IMG_2905.jpg

Got a feeling things are gonna be greening up pretty quick. we're over 60F already.

IMG_2906.jpg

The 2nd photo is fantastic. Great shot! Topped out at 81F. what month is it again? I can't believe it.

Its melting... that is for sure.

This morning here at 1,550ft I had a solid 10" of granular mush; tomorrow morning will be interesting.

IMG_3471_edited-1.jpg

1,550ft stake is located roughly in the red circle...bottom of the valley between Spruce Peak and Mount Mansfield. There was more snow down at the flats in the bottom of the valley though then there was on the south facing slope above it.

All day it was warm... 50s and 60s. The streams are really flowing now and making skiing through the woods difficult at the stream crossings.

IMG_3545_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3535_edited-1.jpg

By the time these creeks hit the base of the mountain they are flowing pretty good.

IMG_3564_edited-1.jpg

Archived