• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

Wow, I see its pretty darn warm up there. I went there for two years between 2000-2002. My first winter the snow didn't melt till May. Second year it was gone earlier but my second to last day in mid May there was a snowfall. It must be pretty surreal.

Yeah everyone is outside enjoying this awesome weather. Got to 77F for the high and it's just awesome. Still 71.1F as we speak. Too bad I'm inside re writing thermodynamics notes... :cry:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were the biggest temperature swings today?

I ended up with 77/31 for a max/min for a change of 46F... but MVL out in the field beat me a little each way with 78/30 for a change of 48F!

Going almost 50F from the morning low to afternoon high is pretty awesome, does anyone know if anyone hit a true 50F today for a diurnal swing?

Think of it like a morning low of 0F and then being 50F in the afternoon... crazy.

Beautiful sunset out there from a bridge on the Rec Path out back.

IMG_3573_edited-1.jpg

What were the biggest temperature swings today?

I ended up with 77/31 for a max/min for a change of 46F... but MVL out in the field beat me a little each way with 78/30 for a change of 48F!

Going almost 50F from the morning low to afternoon high is pretty awesome, does anyone know if anyone hit a true 50F today for a diurnal swing?

Looks Lebanon at the airport was a 50F swing, with low of 30 and high of 80!!

That's dedication right there!

Who is teaching thermo these days? Prob not Dr FIngerhut. I wonder if he is even there anymore.

Fingerhut retired 4 years ago. Dr. Nolan Atkins is teaching thermo now. I'm not sure he was here in 2002 when you were here though. You'll be pleased to know Dr. Berryman is still full time in the climotology dept! lol

Fingerhut retired 4 years ago. Dr. Nolan Atkins is teaching thermo now. I'm not sure he was here in 2002 when you were here though. You'll be pleased to know Dr. Berryman is still full time in the climotology dept! lol

Ha, good old Berryman. He was nice enough though.

I had Atkins....brilliant guy...but we didn't get along haha.

BTV's record summary for Sunday

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=RER&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

SEVERAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES WERE SET YESTERDAY...MARCH 18TH. THE

FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF THESE RECORDS.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT BURLINGTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT REACHED

76 DEGREES. THIS IS A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH 18TH. THE

PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 62 DEGREES THAT WAS SET IN 1945.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT KNAPP STATE AIRPORT IN MONTPELIER

REACHED 77 DEGREES. THIS IS ALSO A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR

MARCH 18TH. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 58 DEGREES SET IN 1966.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT MASSENA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT/RICHARDS

FIELD IN MASSENA NEW YORK REACHED 78 DEGREES. THIS IS ALSO A RECORD

HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH 18TH. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 66

DEGREES SET IN 1966.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE ON MOUNT MANSFIELD REACHED 61 DEGREES.

THIS IS A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH 18TH. THE PREVIOUS

RECORD WAS 52 DEGREES SET IN 1966.

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT ST. JOHNSBURY REACHED 78 DEGREES. THIS

IS A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH 18TH. THE PREVIOUS RECORD

WAS 66 DEGREES SET IN 1927. IN ADDITION...ACCORDING TO HISTORICAL

RECORDS AT THE FAIRBANKS MUSEUM IN ST. JOHNSBURY...THE HIGH

TEMPERATURE OF 78 DEGREES TODAY MARKED THE EARLIEST OCCURRENCE OF

A 78 DEGREE READING IN THE HISTORICAL RECORD.

Wow. A snippet from CAR's facebook page. Insane warmth.

...Bangor...

Tuesday forecast: 76

Tuesday record: 58

Wednesday forecast: 80

Wednesday record: 64

Thursday forecast: 77

Thursday record: 66

If Bangor hits 80F on Wednesday, it will set an all-time March record (current March record is 79F) as well as the earliest 80F on record (current record earliest is Apr 11).

Had 74/29 IMBY, and back to about 30 this AM. That high temp is 4F above my previous March peak in 14 yr here, though it may only last a couple days. Still 3 tough inches of white stuff at the stake; some should make it thru today, but that will be gone by tomorrow aft.

The 52F range at CON is remarkable. Greatest diurnal range without a CF that I've measured was 86/30 on 5/21/77 in Ft. Kent, the day before CAR tied its all time high at 96. Same sort of dry warmth on W winds. (Biggest range for any day was on 2/2/76, also in FK, with 46/-11 as a 957 mb SE gale turned to frigidity, temp fell from 44 to -6 in 5 hr.)

If Bangor hits 80F on Wednesday, it will set an all-time March record (current March record is 79F) as well as the earliest 80F on record (current record earliest is Apr 11).

Considering the standardized anomalies at pushing +3 this amazingly isn't that surprising. If you think about temperatures as your typical bell curve, that means we're way out on the wing, with 99% of the data below the forecast.

Got down to 40F last night here. Already up to 58.4F as of 10:40am.

I tink we will hit 70F once again, and guidance will bust low over most of northern VT.

Already at 75.1 here, unreal. Not even noon yet, this is just too early for this kind of weather. I have had those little Johnny Jump Up flowers blooming in an area of my garden for a few days now, with tulips and various other bulbs around the garden shooting 3-4 inches above the ground.

This weather is making me feel like replanting the Elephant Ear and Caladium bulbs and lots of other garden related tasks that need to be done but it's so early. It'd be foolish to assume we won't see some anymore temps in the 20's before the cold season is done but it would be nice to have this much of a head start in the garden.

Already at 75.1 here, unreal. Not even noon yet, this is just too early for this kind of weather. I have had those little Johnny Jump Up flowers blooming in an area of my garden for a few days now, with tulips and various other bulbs around the garden shooting 3-4 inches above the ground.

This weather is making me feel like replanting the Elephant Ear and Caladium bulbs and lots of other garden related tasks that need to be done but it's so early. It'd be foolish to assume we won't see some anymore temps in the 20's before the cold season is done but it would be nice to have this much of a head start in the garden.

Crazy stuff.

Up to 65F here now.

As of 11Am, it was:

BTV-68F

MVL-65F

1v4-60F

RUT-61F

LSC-63F

Insanity. Many reach the mid 70s I think. Wow.

Backdoor front is failing big time. Obs suggest the high is nosing over into the Maritimes and it should begin making a bigger push southwest soon, but it too late to really impact highs today. You guys along the coast are more likely to sea breeze before peak heating than to get hit with the front.

Backdoor front is failing big time. Obs suggest the high is nosing over into the Maritimes and it should begin making a bigger push southwest soon, but it too late to really impact highs today. You guys along the coast are more likely to sea breeze before peak heating than to get hit with the front.

Looks like CON will be breaking the record of 72 handedly, again today. Probably with their next update I would imagine. Just unreal. Although, I've actually cooled off .6 degrees in the last ten minutes or so.

Looks like CON will be breaking the record of 72 handedly, again today. Probably with their next update I would imagine. Just unreal. Although, I've actually cooled off .6 degrees in the last ten minutes or so.

My last update put them above their record high. I have them at 74 right now.

I mean what's crazy is that IWI, PWM, PSM all have winds off the water and are well into the 60s or 70s.

St J. at 67 for noon (68 now) which is 10 f higher than yesterday when St. J topped out at 78.

Burlington up to 71 at noon. Already 5 f above the prior record.

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

"...PRELIMINARY RECORD REPORTS FOR MARCH 19TH...

AS OF 1100 AM...3 RECORDS HAVE ALREADY BEEN BROKEN. WITH

TEMPERATURES STILL INCREASING THIS MORNING...A FINAL ISSUANCE OF

ALL RECORDS WILL OCCUR LATER TODAY. HERE ARE THE RECORDS BROKEN

THUS FAR:

BURLINGTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...68 DEGREES WITH THE OLD RECORD

66 DEGREES BACK IN 2010.

KNAPP STATE AIRPORT IN MONTPELIER VERMONT...65 DEGREES WITH THE

OLD RECORD 64 DEGREES IN 2010.

MASSENA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT/RICHARDS FIELD IN MASSENA NEW

YORK...66 DEGREES WITH THE OLD RECORD 60 DEGREES IN 1986."

St J. at 67 for noon (68 now) which is 10 f higher than yesterday when St. J topped out at 78.

Burlington up to 71 at noon. Already 5 f above the prior record.

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

"...PRELIMINARY RECORD REPORTS FOR MARCH 19TH...

AS OF 1100 AM...3 RECORDS HAVE ALREADY BEEN BROKEN. WITH

TEMPERATURES STILL INCREASING THIS MORNING...A FINAL ISSUANCE OF

ALL RECORDS WILL OCCUR LATER TODAY. HERE ARE THE RECORDS BROKEN

THUS FAR:

BURLINGTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...68 DEGREES WITH THE OLD RECORD

66 DEGREES BACK IN 2010.

KNAPP STATE AIRPORT IN MONTPELIER VERMONT...65 DEGREES WITH THE

OLD RECORD 64 DEGREES IN 2010.

MASSENA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT/RICHARDS FIELD IN MASSENA NEW

YORK...66 DEGREES WITH THE OLD RECORD 60 DEGREES IN 1986."

St. J is up to 71F...LSC to 72F. Crazy.

74F up here. Amazing. Guidance busted low once again. MOS had 69F for a high at St. J and its currently 74F and will probably hit 75F. Another day busted by 6F or more. GFS is printing out highs 72-74F across the north country for Wed and Thursday. Many could hit 80F the way guidance has been performing.

EDIT: And wouldn't you know it, BTV updated their grids to include a nice 80F Wednesday!

Reached 70 in AUG, after yesterday's 76; the BD lopped all of 5F from the warmth here. "Better late than never" probably doesn't work for this one. Also, the clouds and slight chance of showers are each no-shows here, which certainly made 70 easier to reach despite a change in airmass. Zero complaints, however; I expect to hear the woodfrogs quacking sometime this week, the next sure sign of spring.

Archived