e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Help us Obi-One-Marchobi... You're our only hope 3/1 Fantasy

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How has that worked out this winter? I will say the good news is that the bust potential is a bit less, but still there. Funny how people are already excited.

Considering how every other model is again bowing down to the Euro..I think people have every right to be amped up for this one..esp now that we're under 4 days

There are 2 categories..you're either tactical(focused on small picture and fixing current problems and worried on the here and now)

or

You are strategic(able to see the big picture/ think globallly/grow the business and willing to take risks)

I can tell you exactly which one you fall into

I would completely own you right now, you would be cleaning my executive bathroom.

In all seriousness I'm sort of optimistic with this. One of the things like is the fact it has a good high. A good high means a lot if things but it also means that we may have enough confluence to keep it south.

I would completely own you right now, you would be cleaning my executive bathroom.

In all seriousness I'm sort of optimistic with this. One of the things like is the fact it has a good high. A good high means a lot if things but it also means that we may have enough confluence to keep it south.

If I were selling TP..you would be the buyer that buys the sandpaper 1 ply Scotts tissue

Instead of seeing big picture and buying the squeezable Charmin triple ply with Aloe

I'm not locking anything..just getting somewhat enthused and amped

I am too. I think we could see a nice system.

Especially given the 2-parter nature this has the potential to be more impressive than your typical SWFE given the potential for cashing in on bonus snows the following day :snowman:

At 96+ hrs out, nothing is really serious in terms of snow. Just be glad a storm is modeled and go from there.

It's a wise course in general. There is a bit of seasonal performance relativity to it, too. Some years, like 1995-1996, you could see it in the models some 8 days out and count on its occurrence more than 60% of the time. Some years stochastic behavior is just kept to a dull roar, other years it's not - this year is one of those years where its not. We keep getting ghost permutations that the models blow up or decay in time, meanwhile reality has had its own plan that's differed quite a bit during most of the time. But model performance really hasn't been too atrocious this year - below average, sure... What's really been our plight (across all of the U.S. for that matter) is the shear lack of events - we've hammered this, but fact remains, hard to complain about lack of snow when it's not doing anything at all. It's not like it's been raining for 2 months straight. But, that's getting off track into another discussion. Anywho, point being there are good performing years and poor ones.

I'm sure much of that has to do with how patterns "fit" with a given model's native bias envelope. For example, the GFS has bested the Euro INSIDE the Euro's wheel house on a couple few occasions this winter (although Kevin ignores those so he can run with this blind faith auto-hate for American model products - again, a different discussion), but what does this winter have? It has had a very progressive nature to the flow - we find it no coincidence that the GFS has a longitudinal bias.

That's just one example, but it gets the point across. In 1995-1996, the pattern was very non-stochastic in nature; high predictability in well-behaved spatial-temporal events. It's like all teleconnectors were in constructive wave interference pattern from Nov-Jan; broke for 3 weeks; then returned late the cold season. You didn't get SE ridges trying to poke up the EC when the NAO was negative; you didn't get split PNA domains with -EPO and raging -PNA cutting underneath... Nice predictable anchored long waves in the pentagonal configuration around the pole, with about 4 days spacing of individual entities in the flow. Easy times for the models.

We haven't had a season like that for awhile either. Last year was a good performing winter in the results, but not so much in model performance. There was sooo much consternation in the run-up times prior to events; it sucked a lot of anticipation entertainment out of it and reduced the pre-storm euphoria. We had to wait to be pleasantly surprised. The Boxing Day storm is a great example of this. It looked good for a run or two...then so-so, then it was lost....then it sort came back, only to really get lost at 48 hours out, only to force NWS to rush out a blizzard warning with just 18 hours warning - something like that. There were a lot more systems like that, than not, last year. It was annoying. This year's kinda double trouble because not only is it below average in the model performance, it's had this weird nothing to model syndrome.

I am too. I think we could see a nice system.

Especially given the 2-parter nature this has the potential to be more impressive than your typical SWFE given the potential for cashing in on bonus snows the following day :snowman:

I agree.

Should say though: this same exact mindset led to some major busted forecasts for 2/2/2011 (Chicago blizzard)

I agree.

Should say though: this same exact mindset led to some major busted forecasts for 2/2/2011 (Chicago blizzard)

Well that is because some got unrealistic with the qpf from that system...people were throwing around 18-24 inch amounts which just didn't make much sense synoptically. I think for most of SNE, it was a general 8-12" snowfall with round 1 being the bigger deal on Feb 1st when it looked like round 2 might be bigger initially.

Either way, we def haven't reached that point yet for this one.

Archived