• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Help us Obi-One-Marchobi... You're our only hope 3/1 Fantasy

HoarfrostHubb

In all honesty the euro had the right idea, but the GFS was kind of a compromise. It was definitely to wet across my area, but the euro virtually had no snow for CT. It was not a great moment for the euro, but I still think it's an overall better model. But once again, it's guidance and you have to sort of blend everything together.

All I know is I'm sure glad it's the Euro showing the strong high and confluence and snow scenario on Wed.. and not the GFS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM is very Euro-esque...hard to tell perfectly with those awful black and white maps....but it would look like just about all or mostly snow for most of SNE (prob PVD-HFD and northward)...maybe somebrief mixing up to pike...but its a cold look.

Yeah I saw that. I'll consider it a semi win if the euro holds serve. It seemed a little south of everything, but I'd rather have subtle shifts south at this point, instead of jumps. I wouldn't be shocked if it did come north a tad.

GGEM is very Euro-esque...hard to tell perfectly with those awful black and white maps....but it would look like just about all or mostly snow for most of SNE (prob PVD-HFD and northward)...maybe somebrief mixing up to pike...but its a cold look.

Nice..I didn't even look at 00z ..Did that come south?

Euro FTW again hopefully

GFS and its ensemble mean for the last couple runs have a distinct difference in handling the main trough...it phases more of the escaping northern stream energy into it early on which basically limits the confluence further east.

Scott, if you pull up the Euro ensemble 5h spaghetti chart at 108h and then pull of the 12z GEFS spaghetti chart at 96 hours on WSI and then toggle them...look at how ridiculously different they are with heights in Canada....there was a similar difference at 00z too.

The high pressure is in a prime spot for our SWFEs that over achieve...still too early to say much since it could change the orientation...but that 1032-1035mb type high in Quebec is classic for a front end thump...if you get lucky, sometimes it can squeeze the whole thing south enough to where there is never a changeover...but the trough is quite deep out west so we'd probably have to try and play it more like the typical 3-8" front enders that dryslot with some sleet and ZR at the end (drizzle for coast).

One thing that interval of time has going in favor of colder scenarios is something we haven't really observed at any time this "cold" season to date; that has to do with blocking. There isn't blocking in the text book synoptic layout. However, there is a transient confluence moving east across Canada in tandem and overtop at similar longitude with respect to the quasi-closed low.

post-904-0-54776600-1330189657.jpg

It is a propagating quasi Rex couplet. An actual Rex is where you have a mid and upper level anticyclone positioned polarward of a cyclone. This type of configuration in its pure/truer form is usually pretty stable and hard to dismantle. Not sure if this latter tendency should lend any determinism to this, but I am also not certain the Euro's blowing this last needle-threader play out has to mean much for this thing up-coming. Because 1), totally different scenario with this next ordeal that does not test the model the same way ...not even close; also 2), the Euro is allowed to lay an egg from time to time. It's longer term verification is still better than the GS for D4; in this particular synoptic evolution, if we get to D4 successfully, that former notion about R-couplets being fairly robust would make the Euro's D5 depiction the best fit.

Eventually the confluence wins. This then all squeezes/opens up said quasi closed low and shears it east - a lot more in the way of BL resistance this time, also a direct result of that confluence, and its resulting +PP anomaly nosing an impressive CAD down into NYS-NE (above right).

One thing that interval of time has going in favor of colder scenarios is something we haven't really observed at any time this "cold" season to date; that has to do with blocking.  There isn't blocking in the text book synoptic layout.  However, there is a transient confluence moving east across Canada in tandem and overtop at similar longitude with respect to the quasi-closed low.

It is a propagating quasi Rex couplet.  An actual Rex is where you have a mid and upper level anticyclone positioned polarward of a cyclone.   This type of configuration in its pure/truer form is usually pretty stable and hard to dismantle.  Not sure if this latter tendency should lend any determinism to this, but I am also not certain the Euro's blowing this last needle-threader play out has to mean much for this thing up-coming.  Because 1), totally different scenario with this next ordeal that does not test the model the same way ...not even close; also 2), the Euro is allowed to lay an egg from time to time.  It's longer term verification is still better than the GS for D4; in this particular synoptic evolution, if we get to D4 successfully, that former notion about R-couplets being fairly robust would make the Euro's D5 depiction the best fit.  

Eventually the confluence wins.  This then all squeezes/opens up said quasi closed low and shears it east - a lot more in the way of BL resistance this time, also a direct result of that confluence, and its resulting +PP anomaly nosing an impressive CAD down into NYS-NE (above right).

I posted before, having a massive 962 in the North Atlantic sitting there and spinning helps too.

One thing that interval of time has going in favor of colder scenarios is something we haven't really observed at any time this "cold" season to date; that has to do with blocking. There isn't blocking in the text book synoptic layout. However, there is a transient confluence moving east across Canada in tandem and overtop at similar longitude with respect to the quasi-closed low.

It is a propagating quasi Rex couplet. An actual Rex is where you have a mid and upper level anticyclone positioned polarward of a cyclone. This type of configuration in its pure/truer form is usually pretty stable and hard to dismantle. Not sure if this latter tendency should lend any determinism to this, but I am also not certain the Euro's blowing this last needle-threader play out has to mean much for this thing up-coming. Because 1), totally different scenario with this next ordeal that does not test the model the same way ...not even close; also 2), the Euro is allowed to lay an egg from time to time. It's longer term verification is still better than the GS for D4; in this particular synoptic evolution, if we get to D4 successfully, that former notion about R-couplets being fairly robust would make the Euro's D5 depiction the best fit.

Eventually the confluence wins. This then all squeezes/opens up said quasi closed low and shears it east - a lot more in the way of BL resistance this time, also a direct result of that confluence, and its resulting +PP anomaly nosing an impressive CAD down into NYS-NE (above right).

Yeah its interesting when I toggled the EC ensemble spaghetti charts vs the GEFS spaghetti charts just now it was was incredible the difference....where the EC succeeds in this quasi blocking mechanism you describe is where the GFS spectacularly fails...and most of its ensembles.

GGEM sided with the Euro and its quite apparent up in the region you pointed out looking at the solutions valid for 18z next Wednesday....

sdz5ec.jpg

w2bvjl.jpg

GFS and its ensemble mean for the last couple runs have a distinct difference in handling the main trough...it phases more of the escaping northern stream energy into it early on which basically limits the confluence further east.

Scott, if you pull up the Euro ensemble 5h spaghetti chart at 108h and then pull of the 12z GEFS spaghetti chart at 96 hours on WSI and then toggle them...look at how ridiculously different they are with heights in Canada....there was a similar difference at 00z too.

Ha, you beat me too it! I was just typing a followup to my annotated chart showing confluence with a post about how the GFS is so flat with the heights ...indicative of almost no ridging couplet --> no confluence, no transient blocking... Yet what is interesting is that it still manages conserve that N stream by taking the S/W core due east after lifting it to the GL.

alright - my house is shaking from these wind gusts... woa

Ha, you beat me too it!   I was just typing a followup to my annotated chart showing confluence with a post about how the GFS is so flat with the heights ...indicative of almost no ridging couplet -->  no confluence, no transient blocking...  Yet what is interesting is that it still manages conserve that N stream by taking the S/W core due east after lifting it to the GL.  

alright - my house is shaking from these wind gusts... woa

head to the cellar, oh wait, is the noose put away?

I posted before, having a massive 962 in the North Atlantic sitting there and spinning helps too.

Sure does - absolutely! It's called transitive relationship. By having that feature there, it causes upstream events in Canada to buckle - kind of like mountain ranges. The land initially deforms by tectonic stress, but then you get several parallel cordilleras in rows - each successive cordillera is transitively related to first in the series; they exist because of the first... That same exact logic applies here.

By having a deep trough in there, immediately upstream events deform, and then events upstream from those deform and on and so on.

The ggem is beautiful for Wednesday. I can't see preip totals, but looping the maps it snows for 24+ hours N of the pike. :snowing:

It actually snows for like 40 hours...because beyond the 120h time frame it snows through 138h. It has that secondary development again.

Yeah Will, Euro is definitely further south with that 546 decameter contour. I see that. Interesting.

And I think more importantly the way it buckles north fo the lakes...it shows the ability for confluence much better than the GEFS. Hopefully they have the right idea.

More entertainment at this juncture than anything else.

Yeah its interesting when I toggled the EC ensemble spaghetti charts vs the GEFS spaghetti charts just now it was was incredible the difference....where the EC succeeds in this quasi blocking mechanism you describe is where the GFS spectacularly fails...and most of its ensembles.

GGEM sided with the Euro and its quite apparent up in the region you pointed out looking at the solutions valid for 18z next Wednesday....

And ...even with the GFS' paltry comparison up north, it still has some exertion in that it has a warm front having trouble over NJ, with at least some high - albeit much weaker - in the same region of eastern Canada.

That GGEM run is also trended more in favor of the Euro - the 00z run was (I think) half way more between the Euro and GFS. But wow - that's a lot of mid level jet energy that needs to get squeezed through there. It's understandable that there is a longer duration characteristic in this.... That could result in a cornucopia of different results ranging from a series of light snow waves ending in more moderate coastal, to an ice storm... Or, gosh forbid suppression and it damps down to one of those deals where SW CT gets 15" of snow while the sun shines in Portsmouth, NH.

It actually snows for like 40 hours...because beyond the 120h time frame it snows through 138h. It has that secondary development again.

Seriously starting to think that my flight out of Logan on Thursday is going to get delayed/cancelled. Dammit.

This is perfect though. Heavy snow on Wednesday. 70s and golf on Thursday. (Flight status depending)

Archived