• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Weekend Storm Discussion Part II, 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

Help a dummy out here. What are they saying?

In extremely simple terms, there are alot of small features in the atmosphere in this setup. Small shifts with any of them can cause large changes in the modeled evolution of the storm. Not getting everything just right at initialization of the model run can exaggerate the error as you go forward in time. Error is probably a bad term to use because it's very difficult (or impossible) to replicate the atmosphere perfectly when initializing a model run.

Think of it like an NCAA basketball pool. It's incredibly hard to pick all the winners in the field when there are 64 teams. It's much easier to get the final right. The current pattern has 64 teams.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of discussed it to you in post 720 ;)http://www.americanw...ost__p__1381549

But in short, how moist convection develops across the warm sector in positive tilt waves can have large influences in how energy is distributed during cyclone development. Large MCS's that develop along the warm front can displace large amounts of energy away from the cyclone center/upper shortwave/anomaly which can inhibit northward moisture transport as well as change advective processes which also play a role in cyclone development. Negative tilt troughs/waves are not affected nearly as much in a negative manner like this, and in fact, usually are enhanced by the presence of deep, moist convection since it has a tendency to "feed" directly into the upper cyclone which results in rapid intensification/bombing.

Good post. Model MCS in the wrong place can also screw things up in terms of how fast the storm translates ewrd.

there is hope for you guys

* IMPORTANT COMMENT ON EURO 12Z EMSEMBLE ** it is WETTER and has 0.25" as far north as md pa border and its cold with a lot of heavy precip over central and eastern VA 7PM Sunday evening-- all of it snow

I don't know where he is getting that. Earthsat is only out to 36

Hey I'm driving home from FL and will make it to southern VA later Sunday ...then my cousins place in Silver Spring Monday. The question is where shoufd I stay on Sunday night to see the most snow depth...probably be tapering off around then as I hit it.

I could take 95 or I could take the alternate 77/81 and cut over to DC further north....

Yeah, NAM looks slightly more amplified. Ugh. Why do we have to have the NAM on our side?

Archived