• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Weekend Storm Discussion Part II, 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

The Euro has nailed most of this storm, so why stray from that? It has nailed the s/w evolution considerably compared to other models and continues to differ by offering paltry qpf on the order of 0.10" or less for DCA. I could see the precip shield being slightly north of the Euro's current depiction, but not anything like the NAM :lol: . Going D-2" at BWI, 2-4" DC, and 4-8" for areas NW of RIC. This snow will be falling onto ground that was 55F in days prior, and 2m temps will be marginal. If DC gets over 4" I'd be extremely surprised.

thanks for your sober insight....we were all expecting an 8-12" event with 1-2"/hr CSI banding and thundersnow until your post....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's cool. Good luck on the snow incoming.

You make a good point about the Euro. But at what point do you take a NAM/GFS combo over the king of all models. NAM/GFS is fairly constant with their solutions...same for Euro with a south drift. Time will tell I suppose but if the NAM doesn't budge at 00z...

You make a good point about the Euro. But at what point do you take a NAM/GFS combo over the king of all models. NAM/GFS is fairly constant with their solutions...same for Euro with a south drift. Time will tell I suppose but if the NAM doesn't budge at 00z...

The Euro has had a handle on the evolution of the s/w pattern and yes, the NAM/GFS have been consistent, but the NAM get 4-6" to DC and the gfs get 2-4". I think the GFS solution is buyable, but has a strong bust potential with the 500mb pattern shunting everything south and east.

The Euro has had a handle on the evolution of the s/w pattern and yes, the NAM/GFS have been consistent, but the NAM get 4-6" to DC and the gfs get 2-4". I think the GFS solution is buyable, but has a strong bust potential with the 500mb pattern shunting everything south and east.

Are you claiming the NAM/GFS/EURO don't have reverse bust potential?

What do you usually get in northern Va with a +AO and a +NAO during a snow threat? A fast moving storm and not a lot of hard cold air. Yes it can snow but not that much unless your in the bulls eye/jackpot spot. Yes there is time for things to change, but I go with the odds. This will be another minor event in northern Va. 2"-4"in max. La Nina winters usually stink, just like this winter.

What do you usually get in northern Va with a +AO and a +NAO during a snow threat? A fast moving storm and not a lot of hard cold air. Yes it can snow but not that much unless your in the bulls eye/jackpot spot. Yes there is time for things to change, but I go with the odds. This will be another minor event in northern Va. 2"-4"in max. La Nina winters usually stink, just like this winter.

You mean the first minor event of the season. 2-4 would be pretty awesome at this point.

I guess I should also add that Corpus Christi had ground equip problems and couldn't get a balloon up in two tries...so no 00Z sounding from them. There's pretty good coverage down there and the flow is fairly uni-directional in that area so might not matter too much.

EDIT: I see data up to 825 mb before the flight terminated...so it's not nothing...

While that technically may be true the NAO and AO are extremely close to neutral and were recently negative for some time

I guess I should also add that Corpus Christi had ground equip problems and couldn't get a balloon up in two tries...so no 00Z sounding from them. There's pretty good coverage down there and the flow is fairly uni-directional in that area so might not matter too much.

EDIT: I see data up to 825 mb before the flight terminated...so it's not nothing...

OK, so if the runs suck we can toss 'em?

OK, so if the runs suck we can toss 'em?

Do whatever you need to do!

Brownsville and Corpus Christi are pretty close together and the pattern down there isn't very complex attm so shouldn't be an issue (famous last words). If they don't get their issues fixed for 12Z that might not be good.

Yes you are right, it is a tough storm to forecast since the bust potential is high. Positive tilt waves are never terribly fun to deal with.

Yes you are right, it is a tough storm to forecast since the bust potential is high. Positive tilt waves are never terribly fun to deal with.

Right. And it impacts millions of people who haven't had to deal with a lot of snow this season. Personally, I hope you guys get a little somethin', somethin' there. As bad as NE has had it, you guys have had it worse.

Archived