Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Weekend Storm Discussion Part II, 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Human nature, it's been so bad for all of us this winter....I was really pulling for all of you guys.

The NAM and GFS have really been out of it with the handling of s/w's. I'm not sure how or why but they've been consistently unable to handle the speed of the various s/w's even with incredibly short leads of 12 or 18 hours. Worse they don't seem to "catch up" but are continually behind the Euro by about a run.

Anyway, NAM IMO is now getting nearer the correct solution. I hope some of you get snow.

EDIT: GFS will do the same. It was going that way with the s/w's at 18z.

I was too. I wanted someone to get clobbered, I don't care who. Such a pretty s/w. Someone deserves it :)

Lol. Like I said, people have gotten giddy over the NCEP model suite, andNCEP basically got their azzes handed to them on s/w handling. This was an initial screwjob for NE, but as someone who saw the handling of the s/w on the models, I figured I should give insight down here, seeing as thats how its trending.

seriously man, do you really think people need the insight that the euro looks like it may be right. you are just rubbing salt in the wound, cmon

but the Euro showed decent snow for DCA/BWI before any of the other models did

at this rate, the precip will be so light in VA/WVA that they will have temp problems

at least it's seemingly over tonight instead of tomorrow

It's a matter of which model was least bad at any given time. Like I said I've noticed over the last 3-4 weeks the NCEP models run about 12 hours behind the Euro and sadly a couple of times up here even the Euro adjusted to the stinky side closer in. So even with the Euro we've had a steadily moving target a couple of times towards the bad end.

Hoping that's not the case, any snow i good snow and I hope a lot of you get it.

the sudden influx of northern posters is worse than this suppressed run of the NAM

We've been down this road a bunch of times this winter. We're just sharing what we've witnessed maybe 10 times already when there was a snowier discrepancy with the NCEP models vs the Euro. Inevitably the Euro wins most of the time and even it has been too optimistic recently.

Good luck.

We've been down this road a bunch of times this winter. We're just sharing what we've witnessed maybe 10 times already when there was a snowier discrepancy with the NCEP models vs the Euro. Inevitably the Euro wins most of the time and even it has been too optimistic recently.

Good luck.

Yeah, most of us down here are new to this whole weather board and model thing, so thanks.

seriously man, do you really think people need the insight that the euro looks like it may be right. you are just rubbing salt in the wound, cmon

Just analysis. I went through this ordeal two days ago up north.

On another note, I want to know the differences in the globals and NCEP to get to the point where the handling is so much different. Interesting research for me possibly upcoming with senior thesis.

Lol. Like I said, people have gotten giddy over the NCEP model suites both here and all over the eastern US, and NCEP basically got their azzes handed to them on s/w handling. This was an initial screwjob for NE, but as someone who saw the handling of the s/w on the models, I figured I should give insight down here, seeing as thats how its trending.

It sucks, and people don't wanna hear it, but its the truth that there were signs of this occurring. This winter's been below normal everywhere and its tough to stay level headed when you've been snow starved.

I don't know why you are getting so much sh*t from people for giving us your wonderful wisdom. If it wasn't for you pointing out to us little brains down here that the Euro is a superior guidance tool and that the NAM sucks and is likely to be wrong I am not sure what we would do. We were all expecting 8-12" of snow here because because none of us in this region have any skill or the ability to look at the h5 flow and notice the problems. Now if you could just travel down here to show us all how to tie our shoes we would appreciate it.

THanks

the sudden influx of northern posters is worse than this suppressed run of the NAM

They are here because they are rooting for us though...lol. The fact that they are here to share their keen insight and emotional support right when things are circling the drain is purely a coincidence ;-)

On another note, I want to know the differences in the globals and NCEP to get to the point where the handling is so much different. Interesting research for me possibly upcoming with senior thesis.

Data assimilation techniques. I would bet it is probably far too advanced to even try and study for a Sr. project.

Maybe partly. But honestly, the nogaps and Canadian use 4dvar. It's way more complex than thinking there is some magic bullet.

Yes I know that, but it is a start. Convective parameterizations could very well be another, I am not sure. From my standpoint, NCEP guidance seemed to struggle the most with the intensity of that southern stream anomaly more than anything.

LWX still holding as of 930

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

930 PM EST FRI FEB 17 2012

DCZ001-VAZ054-181000-

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH

930 PM EST FRI FEB 17 2012

.REST OF TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTHWEST

WINDS AROUND 5 MPH.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING MOSTLY

CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH...

BECOMING SOUTH IN THE AFTERNOON.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. WEST WINDS

5 TO 10 MPH...BECOMING NORTH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SUNDAY...SNOW...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S.

NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...SNOW...MAINLY IN THE EVENING. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

.WASHINGTONS BIRTHDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 40.

.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 50.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S.

.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

HIGHS IN THE UPPER 50S.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. LOWS AROUND 40.

.THURSDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 60.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S.

.FRIDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 50S.

This is no disrespect to the NWS/NOAA guys....But the NAM Is a terrible model.....this storm was done last night at 1:15 am....

You're right Matt, it's very unfortunate, not sure what's gone wrong but it's just bad.

It's way out of your league. You think we don't try to emulate what they do or invest in our own new technology?

DTK, what do you think is behind the problems though? It's not like we're talking 36-48 hour lead times...lately the NCEP models seem unable to pin a reasonable forecast position on s/w's at 12 hours. I don't ever remember that happening this consistently until the last few months. Whatever the processes are, the NCEP models can't pin the speed down on the features.

I know. The whole ECMWF data assimilation process is totally private correct? Maybe a stupid question, but it's interesting.

It's not just data assimilation.

What they do is not really a secret. They readily present their work (past, present, and future plans). They are well funded and very focused on the global NWP problem.

It's not just data assimilation.

What they do is not really a secret. They readily present their work (past, present, and future plans). They are well funded and very focused on the global NWP problem.

Cool thanks for sharing! Just an interesting topic to just think about as a MET student. Sorry if i have pestered you.

No clue what you mean by "differences in the globals and NCEP". Makes no sense.

This is a very unstable pattern...they weren't handling the shortwaves "so much" differently. Small differences in this pattern make large differences in the outcome, especially WRT sensible weather.

This is no disrespect to the NWS/NOAA guys....But the NAM Is a terrible model.....this storm was done last night at 1:15 am....

That's kind...but it is disrespect to the NCEP developers who work on the NAM. Every model is useful if you know how to use them, and it's ignorant IMO to constantly be blathering on about how worthless it is.

Back to the weather, I'm not sure why the towel is being thrown in almost 48 hours in advance. Is it more likely than not to miss DC? Yes. Is moving north 100 miles or so in the next 36 hours impossible? Hell no.

Archived