Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Weekend Storm Discussion 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sequence is pretty common. gfs latches into the "right" idea 1st but only after the euro has shown a version of that idea for several runs. Now what happens is we see which of the 2 big models brings this north enough to fringe us with decent enough QPF. It isn't like the track is settled at day 5.

its always 1 step forward and 3 back. We can never build off good runs. The GFS and the euro have never agreed on any snow events this year and no matter what the model, the least snowiest solution has always won. Euro has too many dramatic shifts from run to run

i was so close to getting onboard.. damn the euro

Its really funny that last weekend we had what appeared to be a good shot at accumulating snow and the storm fizzled; now we have it looking like its not going to happen - watch the change as we come close to the end of the week when the euro/gfs come north.

Rossi

I think we need to keep an open mind about this. I know that sounds stupid, but this seems to be an evolving situation. The GFS first started this thing as being a Sat event, iirc, and now 6 of its 12z ensemble members have low pressure in the vicinity of the Fla panhandle/northern Fla on Monday morning. I think what we actually see from sat-mon could end up any number of ways different from what we are seeing modeled.

Interesting note about the ensembles. Someone had mentioned that the GFS ensembles had new physics implemented as of today's 12z suite - anyone care to elaborate? I'm not trying to weenie my way out of the solution they provided or anything like that...just curious.

The big change was in the resolution of the model for the ensemble members (from T190L28 to T254L42). The physics were changed to (finally!) match the same set that the OP is using (though things behave differently at lower resolution).

yeah the ens mean isnt that bad on the euro.. comparatively at least. .25"+ into PA... .5"+ starts about 30-50 mi south of dc.

I like the idea (expressed by others) that we'll likely see the models converge in a day or so on a solution that fringes us and slides the storm OTS and then we hope for a north move in the last 60 hours.

I like the idea (expressed by others) that we'll likely see the models converge in a day or so on a solution that fringes us and slides the storm OTS and then we hope for a north move in the last 60 hours.

surface temps would be a concern in a fringe imo tho perhaps they'll be just cold enough. the euro ens is pretty torchy at the surface.

You need to call up HPC. They seem to think that it won't become clear until Friday at the earliest. Maybe you could help them out.

for a Major storm that beings on Saturday night or Sunday morning....You should know by Wednesday 00z that its coming. What big storm do you remember that was only modeled 2 days out where Thursday there was nothing...Friday showed a storm and then the storm started 48-60 hours later?

for a Major storm that beings on Saturday night or Sunday morning....You should know by Wednesday 00z that its coming. What big storm do you remember that was only modeled 2 days out where Thursday there was nothing...Friday showed a storm and then the storm started 48-60 hours later?

12/26/10 oh right we did not get that :axe: , but everyone else did and that is what the models showed.

Raven

Your right..the dec 26 storm came back to life 48 hours before the event. Forgot about that one..and for good reason:(

The feb 2006 storm had nothing till Wednesday noon runs and that storm started Saturday evening

You're right.........I recall the Feb 2006 MECS rapidly trending better as the storm approached. Easily the most satisfying event in years, possibly since PDII.

Raven

Your right..the dec 26 storm came back to life 48 hours before the event. Forgot about that one..and for good reason:(

The feb 2006 storm had nothing till Wednesday noon runs and that storm started Saturday evening

If it still shows OTS by 0Z tomorrow night then it is probably time to pack it in.

Major is unlikely unless we include the busts/reverse busts of 1/25/00 and 3/5/01 but some modest reverse busts were poorly modeled close to the event

12/5/02, 1/25/04, 2/25/07, 12/5/07, 1/30/10 were all overperformers.

If we want to include busts 1/22/05, 12/26/10 also. But I think you were looking for events that trended our way

Archived