joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion III

Rankin5150

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a perfect example showing that a very cold Canada is often bad for prospects for a cold SE US since it means the cold is bottled up/it is hard to be cold "everywhere". Some of the SE US's historically coldest periods were when Canada was relatively mild because it meant Canadian air rushing down/blocking in or near Canada. Canada was still colder but much warmer anomalywise. That's why it usually doesn't bother me when Canada is relatively warm for better prospects for SE cold. Actually, I sometimes prefer it that way to give SE US cold a better chance.

I look at intense Siberian cold even more negatively for similar reasons.

Anyway, today's model consensus looks warmer than in recent days in the SE US for the next couple of weeks overall. The big question: will very late Jan., Feb., and/or early to mid March rock or is this entire winter going to go into the commode?

The last few runs of the GFS in the LR have looked horrible. As others have mentioned all the cold air just stays in Canada. The only comfort is in the fact that just two days ago every run of the GFS was hinting at a snow storm this weekend, maybe that LR is just a burp until we get to next week.

I agree, I don't think that the models have a handle on the future pattern. Usually you could at least get an idea on the broad pattern configuration; but that has been totally untrustworthy lately (almost the whole winter). Heck, the GFS had a tropical system off the NC coast yesterday. I think our best hope right now is to focus on the short range (out to 5 days) and maybe have some mets give us meteorological ideas about the extended.

The last few runs of the GFS in the LR have looked horrible. As others have mentioned all the cold air just stays in Canada. The only comfort is in the fact that just two days ago every run of the GFS was hinting at a snow storm this weekend, maybe that LR is just a burp until we get to next week.

It's starting to show this look pretty consistently and it does have model support so it could very well be right. We might have to sacrifice the last part of January for a rocking February (see i can still be optimistic). All that said, I can see ways it goes toward cold too. Time will tell, always does.......

It's starting to show this look pretty consistently and it does have model support so it could very well be right. We might have to sacrifice the last part of January for a rocking February (see i can still be optimistic). All that said, I can see ways it goes toward cold too. Time will tell, always does.......

I can be optimistic as well. We've all seen some great snow and ice events in February. Of course, I hate to wait that long, but if the teleconnections set up the right way for February then it will be right in our wheel house. I think long term trends will be effected by a slightly positive PNA and the NAO following the course of it's AO buddy going into late this month and into February.

This is a perfect example showing that a very cold Canada is often bad for prospects for a cold SE US since it means the cold is bottled up/it is hard to be cold "everywhere". Some of the SE US's historically coldest periods were when Canada was relatively mild because it meant Canadian air rushing down/blocking in or near Canada. Canada was still colder but much warmer anomalywise. That's why it usually doesn't bother me when Canada is relatively warm for better prospects for SE cold. Actually, I sometimes prefer it that way to give SE US cold a better chance.

I look at intense Siberian cold even more negatively for similar reasons.

Anyway, today's model consensus looks warmer than in recent days in the SE US for the next couple of weeks overall. The big question: will very late Jan., Feb., and/or early to mid March rock or is this entire winter going to go into the commode?

I have no scientific basis for my opinion but I think so...and have thought so all along. I said a while back and I'll say again, this is the first winter in a very long time where I just had a sense back in the fall that it was going to suck. And so far that's been the case. I do have a "feeling" we will get colder toward the end of feb/march. I wouldn't be shocked if north carolina or even the northern upstate gets lucky but for us, I doubt it. And I bet you this spring will be one of those "if we only had this pattern in the winter" type deals. In other words, a lot of cold shots into april with some cad events..but of course too warm for anything other than a cold rain.

Although oddly enough I think it should be pointed out that places like ms, western tn, nw al maybe have gotten a couple of small snow events...which is pretty amazing considering how awful most of the country has been this year.

I have no scientific basis for my opinion but I think so...and have thought so all along. I said a while back and I'll say again, this is the first winter in a very long time where I just had a sense back in the fall that it was going to suck. And so far that's been the case. I do have a "feeling" we will get colder toward the end of feb/march. I wouldn't be shocked if north carolina or even the northern upstate gets lucky but for us, I doubt it. And I bet you this spring will be one of those "if we only had this pattern in the winter" type deals. In other words, a lot of cold shots into april with some cad events..but of course too warm for anything other than a cold rain.

Although oddly enough I think it should be pointed out that places like ms, western tn, nw al maybe have gotten a couple of small snow events...which is pretty amazing considering how awful most of the country has been this year.

How was the 1993 winter before the March snowstorm blizzard?My wife and I went to Maryland in Feb ,Valentine's weekend.We ran into the a big snowstorm going up 81 .Trucks were all other the place jack knived.We only got rain in our area. I don't remember getting any other snow except for the one in March.

So now we're looking to February? Too funny.

Did the GFS really show snow here on Sunday last night? I guess it took it away by now.

EDIT: The title has the incorrect dates but the data is correct.

Here's the AO and NAO, January1 - March 31 1993, Notice how high the AO got before it's fall. The lowest point occurred right before the big storm.

Hey Dacula....

Did you know that without a -NAO, it is nearly impossible to get sustained cold? You DO know what that is....don't you? (I kid, I kid!)

Actually, without taking any kind of analogs, models, almanacs or wooly worms into consideration, this winter feels a whole lot like '93 to me. I really hated that winter until March. That storm was probably once in a lifetime for most of us so I am not insinuating that will happen this year but due to that one strom in my lifetime, hope will always spring eternal for snow even in the crappiest of winters.

I think the nao not being in the tank helped us with track. I-95 runners are great for our area

Hey Dacula....

Did you know that without a -NAO, it is nearly impossible to get sustained cold? You DO know what that is....don't you? (I kid, I kid!)

Actually, without taking any kind of analogs, models, almanacs or wooly worms into consideration, this winter feels a whole lot like '93 to me. I really hated that winter until March. That storm was probably once in a lifetime for most of us so I am not insinuating that will happen this year but due to that one strom in my lifetime, hope will always spring eternal for snow even in the crappiest of winters.

EDIT: The title has the incorrect dates but the data is correct.

Here's the AO and NAO, January1 - March 31 1993, Notice how high the AO got before it's fall. The lowest point occurred right before the big storm.

The storm occurred somewhere around day 73ish which would put the NAO and AO both in positive territory when the storm hit. March 1993 was also highly anomalous with an extremely tall ridge in the west if I remember correctly and it was also a triple phaser which is not something that happens very often as we know. I think using a storm such as 1993 is not the best analog you could come up with because of just how unusual the entire system was. Because of the phasing the storm was able to pull down enormous amounts of cold air. I am actually shocked that the storm did hit during a +NAO period but when you think about how many things the storm had going for it outside the NAO and AO indices it's quite a bit more believable. The NAO also dipped slightly right before the storm hit but nothing extreme then it went right back to positive as it clobbered the southeast. Intersting storm but I would hesitate to use it as an example due to how extreme everything was with that storm.

Daily values for the NAO

1993 3 5 -0.075

1993 3 6 -0.089

1993 3 7 0.142

1993 3 8 0.165

1993 3 9 -0.073

1993 3 10 -0.197

1993 3 11 -0.108

1993 3 12 0.131

1993 3 13 0.472

1993 3 14 0.644

1993 3 15 1.067

1993 3 16 1.570

1993 3 17 1.620

1993 3 18 1.462

1993 3 19 1.416

The storm occurred somewhere around day 73ish which would put the NAO and AO both in positive territory when the storm hit. March 1993 was also highly anomalous with an extremely tall ridge in the west if I remember correctly and it was also a triple phaser which is not something that happens very often as we know. I think using a storm such as 1993 is not the best analog you could come up with because of just how unusual the entire system was. Because of the phasing the storm was able to pull down enormous amounts of cold air. I am actually shocked that the storm did hit during a +NAO period but when you think about how many things the storm had going for it outside the NAO and AO indices it's quite a bit more believable. The NAO also dipped slightly right before the storm hit but nothing extreme then it went right back to positive as it clobbered the southeast. Intersting storm but I would hesitate to use it as an example due to how extreme everything was with that storm.

Daily values for the NAO

1993 3 5 -0.075

1993 3 6 -0.089

1993 3 7 0.142

1993 3 8 0.165

1993 3 9 -0.073

1993 3 10 -0.197

1993 3 11 -0.108

1993 3 12 0.131

1993 3 13 0.472

1993 3 14 0.644

1993 3 15 1.067

1993 3 16 1.570

1993 3 17 1.620

1993 3 18 1.462

1993 3 19 1.416

I wasn't coming up with an analog, someone asked what it was like leading up to the storm.

After the AO tanked, the damage was done even though it went back positive. One reason it didn't stay cold for long afterwards.

If the pattern stays similar to this I think our best shot is a CAD event which we haven't had in a while. If we can get a well located high pressure there is plenty of cold for it to shove down our way since nothing else wants to cooperate and give us snow chances.

strongly agree and so does fox per their blog yesterday....

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/16490816/wed-rain-not-wanting-ice-but-realizing-potential

I wasn't coming up with an analog, someone asked what it was like leading up to the storm.

After the AO tanked, the damage was done even though it went back positive. One reason it didn't stay cold for long afterwards.

The AO did not tank till well after the storm was gone. The AO was on a sharp rise when the storm formed and hit. If you look back to the end of February the AO was negative for part of the month and the first few days of March.

Daily AO values...

1993 3 1 -1.246

1993 3 2 -2.288

1993 3 3 -1.877

1993 3 4 -0.820

1993 3 5 0.072

1993 3 6 0.146

1993 3 7 0.154

1993 3 8 0.070

1993 3 9 0.306

1993 3 10 0.533

1993 3 11 0.679

1993 3 12 1.020

1993 3 13 1.654

1993 3 14 1.283

1993 3 15 1.838

1993 3 16 3.779

1993 3 17 3.984

1993 3 18 3.360

1993 3 19 3.379

1993 3 20 2.990

1993 3 21 2.678

1993 3 22 2.355

1993 3 23 2.058

1993 3 24 1.621

1993 3 25 1.224

1993 3 26 0.606

1993 3 27 -0.187

1993 3 28 -0.957

1993 3 29 -1.544

1993 3 30 -1.834

1993 3 31 -2.186

Tanks on the 2nd. As I said, the damage was done, the patterns shifted, and we got a big one. There will always be a lag between what the AO/NAO does and what it means for sensible weather.

We agree to disagree Steve, I could be wrong but I just don't buy this. I do believe the lag comment to be true but honestly imo (which could be wrong) it takes more than a 7-10 period of a dip in the AO to produce a pattern change especially when it rockets back up in the 10+ days leading to the storm.

Archived