joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion III

Rankin5150

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only in-situ cad at best -- high is well offshore by the time precip arrives. Maybe a brief period of something frozen, to be quickly washed away. More likely, will just start as a cold rain. Nothing to hold that high in -- that one is going nowhere.

well it may be in-situ at best, but i would still be happy at this point to see something frozen. this winter isnt really that unusual from most se winters where anything i can get will make me happy (the last two years were just anomalies lol)

honestly, after the last two years i never expected much this winter anyway (although i was trying to be optimistic)

Not buying a pattern change in February. This pattern we are in seems very resilient. It's just amazing to see the warmth for the rest of this month.

It is resilient but it's going to have to change sometime. I don't know when that'll be though, could be April for all I know. I'm glad I didn't put winterizer on my grass this year. It's almost time for pre-emergent.

Euro summary: snow in the mountains late tomorrow/tomorrow night and again later Saturday. Cold later tomorrow-Sunday.Then CAD event looks unimpressive, like the GFS but we will get more rain. Brief cold shot following that- then it gets ugly for winter lovers- warm spell and dry. Possible saving grace- at 240 the Greenland area is seeing higher heights, but at that time the Pacific is not cooperating. But maybe later month- Feb?

It is resilient but it's going to have to change sometime. I don't know when that'll be though, could be April for all I know. I'm glad I didn't put winterizer on my grass this year. It's almost time for pre-emergent.

It's not going to be in the next 6 weeks. After mid-February it get's tough with the sun angle to get accumulating snow. I have never had to mow my lawn in the winter, that I recall, I have had to mow it twice since Thanksgiving. I might put down pre-emergent at the end of January, if the crabgrass get's going then the pre-emergent will be useless.

Not buying a pattern change in February. This pattern we are in seems very resilient. It's just amazing to see the warmth for the rest of this month.

Not exactly correct, Fri-Sunday will be below average with two mountain snow events. Then only two milder days before another cooler shot. So not really warm all the rest of the month. Could be 65 every day, cold mongers should take whatever they can get....

Not exactly correct, Fri-Sunday will be below average with two mountain snow events. Then only two milder days before another cooler shot. So not really warm all the rest of the month. Could be 65 every day, cold mongers should take whatever they can get....

This month will be above average, way above average. Cool shots sporadically, but overall the trend is for warmth.

In the shorter term, I think flurries and scattered snow showers look very possible in the favored mountain areas of north GA tomorrow evening as 850mb rh is abundant and 850 temps crash to less than -10.

The Mountains of WNC should get 1-4" in the favored upslope areas with lesser amounts elsewhere in the mountains.

NWS FFC is on board..

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

221 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

...LIGHT SNOW EXPECTED THURSDAY EVENING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA...

.LOW PRESSURE OVER THE GREAT LAKES REGION ON THURSDAY WILL DRAG A

SECOND COLD FRONT THROUGH THE STATE ON THURSDAY. ASSOCIATED

MOISTURE AND MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES WITH THIS FRONT WILL RESULT

IN LIGHT SNOW ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY

MORNING. SOME ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY IN THE

HIGHER ELEVATIONS...BUT ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN AT OR BELOW 1 INCH.

GAZ001>009-015-016-120330-

/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0001.120113T0000Z-120113T1200Z/

DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-

LUMPKIN-WHITE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DAHLONEGA...CLEVELAND

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THURSDAY TO 7 AM

EST FRIDAY FOR NORTH GEORGIA...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LIGHT SNOW...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 7 PM THURSDAY TO 7 AM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...GENERALLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM LAFAYETTE...TO

ELLIJAY...TO CLEVELAND...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO 1 INCH OF SNOW.

* TIMING...THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. EVENT WILL

BEGIN AS RAIN AND TRANSITION TO SNOW AFTER 7 PM.

* IMPACTS...WITH WARM GROUND TEMPERATURES...ANY SNOW ACCUMULATION

WILL LIKELY BE LIMITED TO ELEVATED SURFACES. HOWEVER...FREEZING

TEMPERATURES THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING MAY RESULT IN

ICY PATCHES ON ROADS.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S THURSDAY NIGHT...FALLING TO THE

LOW 20S FRIDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

Yeah I was surprised also. They are either first or last...no in between.

Yeah that is very true. I think they have memories of January 2010 when we had a strong Arctic front move through similar to this setup. We had a brief period of light rain that afternoon before switching to snow showers as the Cold air moved in. The light mix of the rain that went to snow showers caused roadways to turn into skating rinks and then the dusting of snow on top caused major problems.

Just for the far northern counties..

wow i didnt expect to see that today lol. of course my county is right next to white but isnt included :( i would love to see a few flakes though!

as for the sun angle comments and all the griping, this IS the se and this IS a normal winter! it can, and has, snowed a lot through mid march. just because its not constant cold doesnt mean we wont see winter wx. as is evidenced by the new advisory issued for tomorrow when most were expecting it

wow i didnt expect to see that today lol. of course my county is right next to white but isnt included :( i would love to see a few flakes though!

as for the sun angle comments and all the griping, this IS the se and this IS a normal winter! it can, and has, snowed a lot through mid march. just because its not constant cold doesnt mean we wont see winter wx. as is evidenced by the new advisory issued for tomorrow when most were expecting it

A normal SE winter does not have anomalies of over +5 for the month of December and the first third of January. It just doesn't, this winter had been way above average for many portions of the southeast. This could change but I hear so many keep saying this is a normal SE winter and the data just does not support that claim. Please don't think I'm picking on you, this was just the most recent time I've seen it said. There are plenty others who keep saying this and I think they are just as wrong.

It still isn't as bad as January 2008 warm spells imby, we saw more 70s when it wasn't cold that month and severe weather iirc also that month. I think the lows have hurt our averages for January 2012 more than the highs have because of the rain/thunderstorms and fog.

2007 and 2008 were both warm. I remember the therm. rocking 80 degree days in Dec. and January (2008). I do not see ayone in the SE (outside the typically warm locations, i.e. Florida) experiencing that this winter.

Seems like alot of depression lately..Cheer up folks its only weather..It is what it is..Instead of snow im hoping it rains for the ones that need it....As we all know droughts are notorious...

Also could someone upload the Chris Farley video of El Nino...Always got a kick out that ...

Would be nice if this could sneak across the border into SC

NWS FFC is on board..

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

...LIGHT SNOW EXPECTED THURSDAY EVENING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA...

.LOW PRESSURE OVER THE GREAT LAKES REGION ON THURSDAY WILL DRAG A

SECOND COLD FRONT THROUGH THE STATE ON THURSDAY. ASSOCIATED

MOISTURE AND MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES WITH THIS FRONT WILL RESULT

IN LIGHT SNOW ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY

MORNING. SOME ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY IN THE

HIGHER ELEVATIONS...BUT ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN AT OR BELOW 1 INCH.

GAZ001>009-015-016-120330-

/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0001.120113T0000Z-120113T1200Z/

DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-

LUMPKIN-WHITE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DAHLONEGA...CLEVELAND

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THURSDAY TO 7 AM

EST FRIDAY FOR NORTH GEORGIA...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LIGHT SNOW...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 7 PM THURSDAY TO 7 AM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...GENERALLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM LAFAYETTE...TO

ELLIJAY...TO CLEVELAND...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO 1 INCH OF SNOW.

* TIMING...THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. EVENT WILL

BEGIN AS RAIN AND TRANSITION TO SNOW AFTER 7 PM.

* IMPACTS...WITH WARM GROUND TEMPERATURES...ANY SNOW ACCUMULATION

WILL LIKELY BE LIMITED TO ELEVATED SURFACES. HOWEVER...FREEZING

TEMPERATURES THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING MAY RESULT IN

ICY PATCHES ON ROADS.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S THURSDAY NIGHT...FALLING TO THE

LOW 20S FRIDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

GSP hasn't put out the afternoon afd. I think their criteria is different from FFA. You might not get the WWA but you still might get some snow.

Update: Here is the afd....not as aggresive as FFC

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

AT 230 PM EST WEDNESDAY...AN UPPER LEVEL LOW WILL BE LOCATED IN THE

OH RIVER VALLEY ON THURSDAY NIGHT. THIS LOW MOVES OVER THE EASTERN

GREAT ON FRIDAY. A CHANNELED VORT LOBE MOVING AROUND THIS LOW WILL

CROSS OUR AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY. AN UPPER TROUGH AXIS

REMAINS OVER THE EAST INTO SATURDAY...BUT OUR AREA REMAINS BETWEEN

NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVES. UPSLOPE FLOW SNOW SHOWERS

WILL BE ONGOING THURSDAY NIGHT IN THE NC MOUNTAINS BORDERING

TN...BUT WILL BE LIMITED AS LOW LEVEL FLOW REMAINS WESTERLY. THESE

SNOW SHOWERS TAPER OFF BY FRIDAY NIGHT AS MOISTURE DIMINISHES. AT

THIS TIME ACCUMULATIONS APPROACH TWO INCHES ON SOME OF THE HIGHER

PEAKS ON THE TN BORDER. NO ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT THIS

TIME...GIVING THE NEXT SHIFT A CHANCE TO EVALUATE SNOW POTENTIAL

FURTHER. DRY HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN FROM THE GULF STATES ON

SATURDAY.

TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO AROUND EIGHT DEGREES BELOW NORMAL IN COLD

ADVECTION BY FRIDAY...RECOVERING TO ONLY AROUND FIVE DEGREES BELOW

NORMAL BY SATURDAY.

A normal SE winter does not have anomalies of over +5 for the month of December and the first third of January. It just doesn't, this winter had been way above average for many portions of the southeast. This could change but I hear so many keep saying this is a normal SE winter and the data just does not support that claim. Please don't think I'm picking on you, this was just the most recent time I've seen it said. There are plenty others who keep saying this and I think they are just as wrong.

In my opinion This has been a normal winter. Sure at times its been a little warm but not excessive. I have seen many winters with long stretches of 70s for highs. Not to say that is normal either but lets be honest here. Temps averaging in the 50s for highs and lows in the 30s are normal for the deep South. Furthermore the average amount of Snow is about 1-2 inches in the deep south. That also usually only comes from one or two different days out of the whole winter. Keep in mind winter averages pretty wet so that means a lot more rain and less wintry precip indicating temps normally are warm.

In my opinion This has been a normal winter. Sure at times its been a little warm but not excessive. I have seen many winters with long stretches of 70s for highs. Not to say that is normal either but lets be honest here. Temps averaging in the 50s for highs and lows in the 30s are normal for the deep South. Furthermore the average amount of Snow is about 1-2 inches in the deep south. That also usually only comes from one or two different days out of the whole winter. Keep in mind winter averages pretty wet so that means a lot more rain and less wintry precip indicating temps normally are warm.

I think a lot of it has to do with what the meaning of Avg. is, if you are counting back to the 1950's then no this isn't average. However from 1999 to now it's probably more of an average year. Some can correct me if I'm wrong but last winter was very abnormal.

Fair enough, I just keep getting stuck on the monthly departures. As has been mentioned before it comes down to our lows being so high more than our daytime high temps pushing the numbers up. I just can't recall a winter with so few cold shots that were so short lived. The nights this winter with the exception of a few have been very warm for winter, frequently in the 50's. I've had the window open more times than I can remember this winter and honestly that's not normal to me.

i wasnt referring specifically to the departures, however, until the last two years it WAS that warm a lot. we can agree to disagree but the last two years were HUGE winters here. the winter so far this year has been performing similar to most other se winters. we just dont get that much snow, ice or long, sustained cold. its usually a matter of timing. a couple of cold days and overrunning or a storm.

not sure how old you are, but i am in my 40s and i have to say, that this winter has seemed "normal". the last two years i had over four FEET of snow and almost no ice. snow in the gound over 30 days last winter alone. the problem is people seem to be equating those two years with a normal winter, and it isnt. i have been on these boards forever, starting reading (not posting much) on WWBB.

this is almost always how it is with the models, fantasy storms, cold 10-days out etc. i know we are frustrated (i am too) by the lack of interesting weather this year. however, to me this is NORMAL for a n ga winter.

a lot of winters have jan temps in the 70s and yes it can snow immediately thereafter and stick! so far this year it seems pretty normal, lows in teh 20s and 30s highs in the 40s and 50s with a couple of 60 degree days thrown in. this is a normal n ga winter

Hey-

Count your blessings...at least this is not like 2005-2006 or 1998-1999 ;p

Fair enough, I just keep getting stuck on the monthly departures. As has been mentioned before it comes down to our lows being so high more than our daytime high temps pushing the numbers up. I just can't recall a winter with so few cold shots that were so short lived. The nights this winter with the exception of a few have been very warm for winter, frequently in the 50's. I've had the window open more times than I can remember this winter and honestly that's not normal to me.

Firstly, why is December considered a month to collect so much "winter data" when it only carries 11 days of actual "winter"? How above average were those 11 days last month (I really haven't looked to be honest)? Also, temps recorded at - GSP for example - never ever match what many of us record at our home locations. Right now, my OBS reads 61 degrees, yet the Davis (where I am) reads 55 degrees. I have a constant 5-7 degree difference between my actual and reported/recorded temps most days out of the year. Averages may not always tell the whole story.

I guess I'm just not blown away by a 5 degree difference (average). Data can be used to make all kinds of cases, but experience is a better teacher. The only thing that seems odd to many of us is the above average rain (at least here in the GSP area). It would seem that 2009 and 2010 were far more departed from normal than this - these first 3 weeks of winter - have been.

BTW, do you not find it slightly curious that you often seem to discredit something "so many" people agree on? Just wondering...

Firstly, why is December considered a month to collect so much "winter data" when it only carries 11 days of actual "winter"? How above average were those 11 days last month (I really haven't looked to be honest)? Also, temps recorded at - GSP for example - never ever match what many of us record at our home locations. Right now, my OBS reads 61 degrees, yet the Davis (where I am) reads 55 degrees. I have a constant 5-7 degree difference between my actual and reported/recorded temps most days out of the year. Averages may not always tell the whole story.

I guess I'm just not blown away by a 5 degree difference (average). Data can be used to make all kinds of cases, but experience is a better teacher. The only thing that seems odd to many of us is the above average rain (at least here in the GSP area). It would seem that 2009 and 2010 were far more departed from normal than this - these first 3 weeks of winter - have been.

BTW, do you not find it slightly curious that you often seem to discredit something "so many" people agree on? Just wondering...

December 1st is the first day of Meteorological winter therefore it carries 31 days of data.

Archived