• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
How will CWG apologize for our 1st legit snowfall?

Deck Pic

How will CWG apologize for our 1st snow?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. we're so sorry it is snowing :(

• Use the word "unfortunately" over and over
    • Celebrate its timing and lack of impact (weekend, non-rush hour, won't stick to main roads, etc)
    • Focus on and celebrate how quickly it will melt and temps will rebound back to the +20 departures we deserve and are used to
    • Nonstop use of social media to complain and encourage/enable snow haters to b-itch about how much snow sucks and how Spring is so awesome and just around the corner
    • Take personal responbility for the weather: "If we had the power, it would be 65 and sunny every day", "We are so sorry you missed your cousin's t-ball game; we promise 70 degrees by next weekend!"
    • all of the above

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They shouldn't describe the weather as "frigid" or "brutally cold" unless lows are in the single digits, or highs below 20. And it's not just their warmista pandering, it's also the cheesy names they make up for big storms that irritate me (Snoverkill, Commutageddon, Nomageddon).

I mostly like that blog for the info it has, and especially Wes's analysis, but a lot of the time I don't like their tone and attitude.

The TV was on a DC channel when I was dressing for work this morning. The weather graphics described the forecast as "Very Cold" and called for a temp spread of 35/21 for today. I don't remember that from my years living in that area. Is that now very cold for January ?

we have seen the DC media feed and capitalize on this frenzy for decades.....It is unfortunate that CWG has decided to jump in the mix....If you keep telling people that a -7 day in the heart of winter or a 2" snowfall are big deals, they will start to believe it.....There is nothing anomalous or noteworthy about a windy day in the low 30s.....It would be nice if there was a media outlet who took a different approach to garden variety weather that happens every winter

After a torch December replete with double digit positive departures, we have now seen CWG participate in and encourage a complete overreaction to a day that will be a -7. What can we expect from CWG when we get our 1st 1-3" low impact snow?

Carpet bomb Twitter with Warminista bon mots?

https://twitter.com/#!/islivingston/statuses/154348732568178688

After a torch December replete with double digit positive departures, we have now seen CWG participate in and encourage a complete overreaction to a day that will be a -7. What can we expect from CWG when we get our 1st 1-3" low impact snow?

Guest column by Joe Lundberg on how pitchers and catchers will soon report and bike rides among the cherry blossoms?

now this would be frigid -42 depature for the day thats impressive, they are currently -54

CDAK49 PAMC 041116
CLIMCG
CLIMATE REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MCGRATH, AK
216 AM AKST WED JAN 4 2012
...THE MCGRATH AIRPORT CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 3 2012...
CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD  1981 TO  2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD  1940 TO  2012
WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME	RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
		   VALUE	(LST)   VALUE	   VALUE  FROM	  YEAR
											   NORMAL
TEMPERATURE
YESTERDAY
MAXIMUM		   -45  0239 PM	34  2011	  2	 -47	 34
MINIMUM		   -53  1159 PM   -60  1975	-15	 -38	 27
AVERAGE		   -49					   -7	 -42	 31

If Washington, DC ever notches a -42 departure for the day, I will forgive CWG for apologizing for the brutally cold weather (that's after I pick my jaw up off the floor)

February 10, 1899 in DC saw an official maximum of +4 (and an official minimum of -8, for an average daily temperature of -2). Relative to the 1981-2010 normal maximum temperature of 45.9 on February 10th at DCA, that would be a departure of 41.9 degrees. Now, the departure from the the 1981-2010 normal average temperature of 38.0 on February 10th at DCA would be a mere 40.0 degrees and the winters used to be colder in the good old days, but still quite impressive.

February 10, 1899 in DC saw an official maximum of +4 (and an official minimum of -8, for an average daily temperature of -2). Relative to the 1981-2010 normal maximum temperature of 45.9 on February 10th at DCA, that would be a departure of 41.9 degrees. Now, the departure from the the 1981-2010 normal average temperature of 38.0 on February 10th at DCA would be a mere 40.0 degrees and the winters used to be colder in the good old days, but still quite impressive.

So, it appears to have happened once in 120+ years of temperature records. And, the once was 113 years ago. Thus confirming that such an occurrence should be considered jaw-dropping.

I really don't understand why anyone would become a meteorologist if they dont have a real appreciation and excitement for weather. Lately I have witnessed local weathermen "hoping" for the unusually mild and sunny weather to continue. I have a feeling most of these people have no weather geekiness in them at all. More than likely they are journalists who ended up in the job somehow. I don't need nor want to hear your flipping opinion on what the weather should or should not be, just like I dont want to hear your political opinion, but that wouldn't be as entertaining I guess!

I admit I've been pretty disappointed with CWGs obvious "pro-warmth" slant this year. This seems to be a relatively new thing, but I guess it's been a while coming since the move to the Post and a wider readership. I guess I miss the good old days where the the readership was overwhelmingly pro-snow and pro-cold. In those days, the blog focused on reporting the weather and spent less effort expressing opinions about it (and less time suggesting people take an outdoor lunch).

I have to hear the pro-warm nonsense from all my friends all the time, who complain about how cold it is when it's 50 out. Don't get me wrong, I still like CWG because the forecasts are top notch, but it's unfortunate one of the few refuges we cold lovers had has been overtaken by the torch cult. Honestly, even national outlets like the Weather Channel are more neutral. CWG has fallen in with Dough Hill and the rest of the local crew in celebrating global warming and loving golf in January.

It's less appealing to people to go outside and do outdoor activities and run errands when it's 30 versus when it's 50. It also saves people money on their energy bills. There's also less chance for snow, which means less chance of getting into an accident and inclement driving conditions.

Considering a lot of people in this region like to get out and travel, it's no wonder why they would prefer better weather to do so.

The cold lovers had an awesome last two winters, including a record-breaking snow year. It can't be cold every winter.

It's less appealing to people to go outside and do outdoor activities and run errands when it's 30 versus when it's 50. It also saves people money on their energy bills. There's also less chance for snow, which means less chance of getting into an accident and inclement driving conditions.

Considering a lot of people in this region like to get out and travel, it's no wonder why they would prefer better weather to do so.

The cold lovers had an awesome last two winters, including a record-breaking snow year. It can't be cold every winter.

meh, people around here want it sunny and 80 degees year-round and whine like babies when it's not

I guess if people want boring wx, so be it

but this isn't FL or SoCal and people ought to have the sense enough to know that

leave it to every media outlet to pander to the masses....yes, I understand the economics, but it's blatant pandering

like I said before, I really don't use CWG as one of my sources for wx so they're not losing me by caving to the "entitled" crowd

now this would be frigid -42 depature for the day thats impressive, they are currently -54

CDAK49 PAMC 041116
CLIMCG
CLIMATE REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MCGRATH, AK
216 AM AKST WED JAN 4 2012
...THE MCGRATH AIRPORT CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 3 2012...
CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD  1981 TO  2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD  1940 TO  2012
WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME	RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
		   VALUE	(LST)   VALUE	   VALUE  FROM	  YEAR
											   NORMAL
TEMPERATURE
YESTERDAY
MAXIMUM		   -45  0239 PM	34  2011	  2	 -47	 34
MINIMUM		   -53  1159 PM   -60  1975	-15	 -38	 27
AVERAGE		   -49					   -7	 -42	 31

During the Cold War when I was stationed at King Salmon NORAD Control Center, McGrath was a communications relay station, and nearby was the Tatalina radar station.

Lots of pictures and stories here:

http://www.alsap.org...na/Tatalina.htm

Well, that's just it...a major media outlet isn't going to kowtow to us no matter how mad we get. We're a specific niche market who are a sliver of the general public no matter the season. Most people want "boring" weather....because it enables them to do things that are more exciting than being stuck in their house. Also, "exciting" weather can also mean weather that may kill them and their loved ones and destroy property. It doesn't seem logical to most people to want something like that.

A good way to look at this is to think of us as hardcore punk or extreme metal fans. Like us, they like something they view as thrilling, interesting, etc. and view other music as boring and mundane. However, the mainstream finds hardcore/extreme metal as harsh, unpleasant, etc., so very very few radio stations will play it or pay attention to it. Sound familiar?

I know, it sucks and pisses you off. That's why it awesome we have this community, warts and all. We're a tribe. Metalheads are a tribe, so are we. We're outside the mainstream, a lot of the general public view us as weird. Big ****ing whoop - deal with it. And embrace it.

Because if CWG is getting decent Web traffic, the WP and its advertisers are going to be happy. Just like TWC's success (although they are of course different since they are more a multimedia company than WP). All the TWC complaint threads over the years, complete with predictions of their downfall, and they are chugging right along. There's a reason for that. Your local TV station, TWC, the WP....they are all businesses. For something like weather, they will play to the audience.

Archived