• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
How will CWG apologize for our 1st legit snowfall?

Deck Pic

How will CWG apologize for our 1st snow?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. we're so sorry it is snowing :(

• Use the word "unfortunately" over and over
    • Celebrate its timing and lack of impact (weekend, non-rush hour, won't stick to main roads, etc)
    • Focus on and celebrate how quickly it will melt and temps will rebound back to the +20 departures we deserve and are used to
    • Nonstop use of social media to complain and encourage/enable snow haters to b-itch about how much snow sucks and how Spring is so awesome and just around the corner
    • Take personal responbility for the weather: "If we had the power, it would be 65 and sunny every day", "We are so sorry you missed your cousin's t-ball game; we promise 70 degrees by next weekend!"
    • all of the above

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive had cwg blocked from my feed for months. actually i have every weather place except lwx blocked from my feed. i don't want push updates every 15 minutes there. i use twitter for that. tho i do check the page manually every time i go to fb just about so i suppose that's sorta the same.

ive had cwg blocked from my feed for months. actually i have every weather place except lwx blocked from my feed. i don't want push updates every 15 minutes there. i use twitter for that. tho i do check the page manually every time i go to fb just about so i suppose that's sorta the same.

It's cool...if I want to check manually after a couple days I will probably only miss 40-50 status updates

• 10 months later...

Looks like #1 and #4!!!

so predictable...just embarrassing

Yeah...The 1-3" that fell in the western burbs on Christmas eve was just hideous.....terrible

"Two more storms this week??? Unfortunately, it looks that way. Wednesday brings the next one and it could be ugly again in western areas (including Winchester, Martinsburg, Frederick and Hagerstown) where a winter storm watch has been posted for significant snow and/or ice accumulation. Closer to town, we might start as a wintry mix before changing to rain, which could be heavy."

How can you be a weather enthusiast and dislike exciting weather. ;)

My whole point is - if you're going to claim to be interested in weather, you better ENJOY something other than 70 degrees and sunny.

"Unfortunately, some snow is on the way in winter. Sorry there is not 65 degree shorts and t-shirt weather in December."

I don't think anyone really truly is an expert on social media. To me FB doesn't need a constant stream of info but more people use it than Twitter. Mets/met orgs have a commodity everyone is interested in so they sometimes seem to have an inflated sense that they understand the pulse of things more than they do. Not a knock on CWG as I think we generally only update as needed... But people like Brad Panovich are held as 'experts' which IMO is a load of crap. Social media is great but it's overrated as well.

I don't think anyone really truly is an expert on social media. To me FB doesn't need a constant stream of info but more people use it than Twitter. Mets/met orgs have a commodity everyone is interested in so they sometimes seem to have an inflated sense that they understand the pulse of things more than they do. Not a knock on CWG as I think we generally only update as needed... But people like Brad Panovich are held as 'experts' which IMO is a load of crap. Social media is great but it's overrated as well.

there have been 32 status updates since this morning

there have been 32 status updates since this morning

Think we probably just have to realize its not targeting our types. It might be excessive but without lots of general complaints maybe not.

It's also of course not all altruistic. Storms are huge opportunities to build a user base. It's sort of addicting to get a billion shares etc. I partly started the ustornadoes twitter acct because I knew it was a viral subject. Yesterday we probably tweeted 75 times. I've always thought FB should be used more sporadically but I've seen comments that gen pop doesn't agree so I don't know.

Think we probably just have to realize its not targeting our types. It might be excessive but without lots of general complaints maybe not.

It's also of course not all altruistic. Storms are huge opportunities to build a user base. It's sort of addicting to get a billion shares etc. I partly started the ustornadoes twitter acct because I knew it was a viral subject. Yesterday we probably tweeted 75 times. I've always thought FB should be used more sporadically but I've seen comments that gen pop doesn't agree so I don't know.

yes...I have kind of accepted that but it still irks me.....I think my bigger issue is the anti-snow bias and the platform encouraging whining....CWG had/has a chance to distinguish themselves from the other media outlets by not feeding the DC unique meltdown every time we get any inclement weather...I think there are ways to drive readership that push more academic, objective updates....Jason's blog posting are a lot more weather neutral than the FB status updates...

Yeah you might have a point there. I think a lot of people in our area like snow and people who follow a weather site are probably fairly into weather... So not sure it always needs to be treated as an inconvenience etc. I know I have a bias against cold which I try not to use too much there.. I got complaints for the 1 last weekend. ;)

I guess I just don't see the need to editorialize weather events?

"Peak wind gusts today: Reagan Natl 37, Dulles 40, BWI 43. Fortunately the 50 mph gusts did not materialize."

How can you? It's like they are going to change mother nature's mind for future events, no. The truth is a org. should be one that is not biased in any way, bad weather is going to happen, they must not understand it. They are a decent group, but lately, I share your thoughts...

It sucks that we don't have snow, but at least it is brisk and cold and feels like winter..I love sun with temps in the 30s....So far and I expect going forward CWG will be either neutral or negative toward this weather despite the fact that we came 0.4 degrees from our warmest DEC on record.  I expect complaints and status updates encouraging complaints.  Only in DC is the behavior tolerated and lauded.  Looks like in a week we may go warm or very warm for a period of time (hopefully brief).  I expect CWG to be absolutely gushing with praise and FB will be replete with status updates telling is how awesome this weather is and frequently inviting comment on how great the warmth is. Daily digits (which are NOT "somewhat" subjective but completely subjective will become 8's and 9's). If it looks like we might go back into a cold pattern after that, I expect to see the use of the word unfortunate peak to record levels.  

Thanks for your "somewhat" subjective opinion ;)

I went to lunch and the bank without a jacket and wasn't cold...felt great in the sun

I gave a shotout to snow lovers with my last digit. People seemed to like it.

Archived