• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
How will CWG apologize for our 1st legit snowfall?

Deck Pic

How will CWG apologize for our 1st snow?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. we're so sorry it is snowing :(

• Use the word "unfortunately" over and over
    • Celebrate its timing and lack of impact (weekend, non-rush hour, won't stick to main roads, etc)
    • Focus on and celebrate how quickly it will melt and temps will rebound back to the +20 departures we deserve and are used to
    • Nonstop use of social media to complain and encourage/enable snow haters to b-itch about how much snow sucks and how Spring is so awesome and just around the corner
    • Take personal responbility for the weather: "If we had the power, it would be 65 and sunny every day", "We are so sorry you missed your cousin's t-ball game; we promise 70 degrees by next weekend!"
    • all of the above

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of this disco is kinda silly. If it's going to be warm regardless what's the point in not enjoying it? CWG has plenty of snow lovers.

I agree. There are plenty of snow lovers. I'd guess that we get more hits when there is a snowstorm in the offing than any other time and many of the comments then are very pro snow. If it's not going to snow why not enjoy the warmth and outdoors. I know quite a few fanatic snow crows that say if it an't going to snow in winter, give me 50s or 60s.

It's less appealing to people to go outside and do outdoor activities and run errands when it's 30 versus when it's 50. It also saves people money on their energy bills. There's also less chance for snow, which means less chance of getting into an accident and inclement driving conditions.

Considering a lot of people in this region like to get out and travel, it's no wonder why they would prefer better weather to do so.

The cold lovers had an awesome last two winters, including a record-breaking snow year. It can't be cold every winter.

yes...our -0.8 DJF and 70% of average snow last winter was just epic

Some of this disco is kinda silly. If it's going to be warm regardless what's the point in not enjoying it? CWG has plenty of snow lovers.

because nonstop thaws in winter are depressing and don't feel like winter and are a constant reminder of how bad the pattern is for snow....some of us like 4 seasons....we like crisp days and nights....they are a reminder of the change of seasons and nostalgic....especially when there is snowcover, I hate thaws.....It is extremely rare to get dangerous cold here.....having to put on a hat and gloves is not burdensome and it feels good to many of us....Winter is so short here usually that I actually prefer it to feel wintry even if there is no snow...even the flurries last week on 2 separate occasions were nice.....

I think how the blog has evolved is relevant and worthy discussion....

i didnt say it wasnt. but im not sure why i or anyone else should lie and say they really wish a day like today was 30 and windy instead of how it is. when it snows everyone will be excited for the most part. but we get what we get..

i didnt say it wasnt. but im not sure why i or anyone else should lie and say they really wish a day like today was 30 and windy instead of how it is. when it snows everyone will be excited for the most part. but we get what we get..

I don't think anyone is lying...no doubt the majority of people are enjoying the weather today.....I don't think the warministas or the cold lovers are lying....everyone is being honest

I don't think anyone is lying...no doubt the majority of people are enjoying the weather today.....I don't think the warministas or the cold lovers are lying....everyone is being honest

well according to some of the late comments in this thread enjoying warmth is bad and makes cwg less comfortable for cold lovers.. which imo is pretty silly.

well according to some of the late comments in this thread enjoying warmth is bad and makes cwg less comfortable for cold lovers.. which imo is pretty silly.

It's just evidence of pandering...and we are going to see that continue if/when it snows which was the point of this thread.....When it snows, we are not going to see any mocking of people who hate snow...they will be endlessly coddled and pandered to and CWG will be overly apologetic for the inconvenience....

I really don't understand why anyone would become a meteorologist if they dont have a real appreciation and excitement for weather. Lately I have witnessed local weathermen "hoping" for the unusually mild and sunny weather to continue. I have a feeling most of these people have no weather geekiness in them at all. More than likely they are journalists who ended up in the job somehow. I don't need nor want to hear your flipping opinion on what the weather should or should not be, just like I dont want to hear your political opinion, but that wouldn't be as entertaining I guess!

I'm a weather geek, and love a snowstorm as much as anyone else, but I'd prefer 50 and sunny over 30 and sunny any day. And I think I side with the vast majority of people. Personally, I think a lot of the people who say they'd prefer it be cold rather than mild are just being contrarian.

I'm a weather geek, and love a snowstorm as much as anyone else, but I'd prefer 50 and sunny over 30 and sunny any day. And I think I side with the vast majority of people. Personally, I think a lot of the people who say they'd prefer it be cold rather than mild are just being contrarian.

Why would we lie on a weather forum like this?? Call me crazy but I genuinely love cold weather in winter. Then again, I like the seasons. I wouldn't really want it cold in the middle of summer - but then again, that never happens. Winter is the only season around here that regularly gets "cancelled." I want to have a winter, not 6 months of fall. Would I prefer it snow when its cold? Of course! But I know where I live - most years, it's simply not going to snow much. If it can't look like winter, it can at least feel like it.

I really don't understand why anyone would become a meteorologist if they dont have a real appreciation and excitement for weather. Lately I have witnessed local weathermen "hoping" for the unusually mild and sunny weather to continue. I have a feeling most of these people have no weather geekiness in them at all. More than likely they are journalists who ended up in the job somehow. I don't need nor want to hear your flipping opinion on what the weather should or should not be, just like I dont want to hear your political opinion, but that wouldn't be as entertaining I guess!

I think many TV mets simply put on an act z While deep down they may be rooting for snow, they obviously don't want to say it on air when tons of people who want it to be 70 and sunny are watching. The only local met who I think isn't afraid to say he wants it to snow is Topper Shutt.

Granted, I know more about climo than your average Joe, but if we were in an unseasonably cold summer and we got a 3-day stretch in July of 89-92 and humid, I would have the context not to b-itch about it, and I would hope a media outlet replete with talented mets and seasoned hobbyists would provide some backdrop/context such that endless whining and complaining wouldn't be perpetually encouraged

i was waiting for your commentary on the 2/10 daily digit on a day with an afternoon temp about 1-2 degrees below normal.

that's part of it, but more the platform given that encourages people to whine about how awful a 41 degree breezy sunny day is in the midst of a winter that is running +5 to +6 and shows no signs of letting up.....It is unfortunate that CWG has viewed the pussification of the DC public which has been enabled and reinforced by the TV media here for years as an opportunity they should seize....

It is too bad that CWG's article content and forecasting skill which are both excellent have to be sullied by a social media approach that panders to those who know the least about weather....It would be nice to see a little more continuity in quality...CWG on facebook is unreadably bad

I don't really see it that way. Without naming names, there's A LOT more pandering that goes on on other FB weather feeds. I play it pretty straight up - try to educate and engage the lay person and get them interested in reading our stuff and excited about it. The FB audience (more lay public) is a little different than the blog audience (which is more wonky) so I try to bridge the gap. Yes- I do have a warm bias, but most people, like me, prefer warm weather to cold weather. I don't think we're anti-snow on FB and have been pretty up front with the fact we like snow. - Jason

I don't really see it that way. Without naming names, there's A LOT more pandering that goes on on other FB weather feeds. I play it pretty straight up - try to educate and engage the lay person and get them interested in reading our stuff and excited about it. The FB audience (more lay public) is a little different than the blog audience (which is more wonky) so I try to bridge the gap. Yes- I do have a warm bias, but most people, like me, prefer warm weather to cold weather. I don't think we're anti-snow on FB and have been pretty up front with the fact we like snow. - Jason

Fair enough...I know you guys need to get readership in an otherwise boring winter....I don't view the wimpiness and overreaction of the general public here that has been fostered by the TV media for decades to be a positive quality that should be capitalized upon.....people who think a zero departure sunny day in a +6 winter is something awful that needs to be complained about are the lowest common denominator weather audience. But I guess telling them to grow a set won't generate ad revenue.

Fair enough...I know you guys need to get readership in an otherwise boring winter....I don't view the wimpiness and overreaction of the general public here that has been fostered by the TV media for decades to be a positive quality that should be capitalized upon.....people who think a zero departure sunny day in a +6 winter is something awful that needs to be complained about are the lowest common denominator weather audience. But I guess telling them to grow a set won't generate ad revenue.

Actually, it probably would in the short run. If they did it repeatedly, maybe not.

That being said, have you seen Dave Tolleris's Facebook feed? He curses more than a drunken sailor and tosses insults around more often than Tim Tebow thanks his lord and savior. It doesn't seem to hurt his readership much.

During the winter give me 30 and sunny over 50 and sunny any day of the week month year decade century. I am not being "contrarian" at all. I honestly do not for one second understand people who prefer warmth during winter. I love having to get bundled up, and really enjoy doing things inside for a change. 50 and sunny to me is the most boring weather I could possibly imagine. I would much rather be cold than ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ put me to sleep weather. Frankly it's a bit offensive that you just dismiss those who prefer cold weather in winter by thinking we just want to argue or be different.

I don't frequent CWG, though when a link is posted here (usually Wes Junker's pieces and Ian's climo work.) I always find the articles compelling and am thrilled seeing that level of discussion reaching the wide audience the Post affords. I remember the days of starving for weather analysis and being stuck with DC tv guys and the mostly general coverage by the print version Post. Used to pay for the USA Today just for the color weather maps, LOL.

I burnt out on Facebook a while ago, and hardly log on so I'm missing that too. And I have a great respect for capitalweather, as he's been generous in the few internet interactions we've had over the years. So, having said all that, I have no place to criticize the Gang.

But I do get where Zwyts is coming from. CWG has an opportunity to raise the level of discussion and produce a much better product than a Tony Perkins or Howard Bernstein can. And based on what I see in my daily life, average people are looking for that. Everyone I know wants to know about the weather. Four of my coworkers have radar apps on their cell phones. Three others have links to a point forecast from TWC or Weather.gov or MSN. I get asked a lot to explain what factors prompted the forecast and what might change, as they know I'm the weenie. I'm sure my workplace is typical.

Slipping into generic weather schlock to sound palatable to the masses is not how CWG will distinguish itself as the DC area's source for weather. I'm pretty sure that the very smart guys who make up the Gang realize that. And they have Matt to remind them. :rambo:

An interesting aside - does anyone have any theories as to WHY the DC area has such weather wusses? It seems much worse here than other areas I've visited. I even heard a coworker complaining about how cold it was on one of our 55 degree days. I just don't get it.

The only thing I can guess is that we have a lot of transplants here - and a lot of people from places like Southern California who think 45 is arctic tundra. I've seen DC's winter climate described as "brutal" on forums many times - usually by transplanted Floridians or Californians. It's baffling really - but I guess it's a given when you've got an area with a ton of residents who don't like it and are here solely for a job. I could have told them, if you think winter is 70 and sunny, you should have stayed in LA. We don't have anything remotely approaching a "brutal" winter, though we do HAVE a winter season, something LA and Florida do not.

And note - I'm not talking about folks who might prefer warmer weather all things equal (I don't but I know many do). I'm talking about the incessant whining about even normal temps. I just can't imagine people in Boston bitching and moaning about 37 and sunny - but maybe I'm wrong.

An interesting aside - does anyone have any theories as to WHY the DC area has such weather wusses? It seems much worse here than other areas I've visited. I even heard a coworker complaining about how cold it was on one of our 55 degree days. I just don't get it.

The only thing I can guess is that we have a lot of transplants here - and a lot of people from places like Southern California who think 45 is arctic tundra. I've seen DC's winter climate described as "brutal" on forums many times - usually by transplanted Floridians or Californians. It's baffling really - but I guess it's a given when you've got an area with a ton of residents who don't like it and are here solely for a job. I could have told them, if you think winter is 70 and sunny, you should have stayed in LA. We don't have anything remotely approaching a "brutal" winter, though we do HAVE a winter season, something LA and Florida do not.

And note - I'm not talking about folks who might prefer warmer weather all things equal (I don't but I know many do). I'm talking about the incessant whining about even normal temps. I just can't imagine people in Boston bitching and moaning about 37 and sunny - but maybe I'm wrong.

You also have people bitching about 90 and humid and talking about how brutal that heat is. Perhaps they should have tried to find a job in northern Montana.

You also have people bitching about 90 and humid and talking about how brutal that heat is. Perhaps they should have tried to find a job in northern Montana.

:huh:

What are you talking about? Usually they don't complain like that unless it's in the mid-90s or up. The string of triple digit days we had last July is not normal.

from what I read I give CWG a B-/C+ for not being too apologetic

I am pretty sure the readership for a 1"storm reflect who CWG should be pandering to....

I like and know Camden, but he kind of sucks as the main facebook guy....He has a hard time hiding his contempt for interesting weather and if he likes snow he shows absolutely no enthusiasm for it......his 5/10 ranking of Friday wishing it were warmer and less windy was shameful on the precipice of a winter storm....thankfully snow drives viewers no matter what....

A weekend that saw our 1st legit event....and drove tons of people outside to play in it, revel in it and set the mood for the weekend received a 5, 2, and 3 for daily digits...horrible

• 2 weeks later...

Archived