• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion II

strongwxnc

Does not seem like he ever has time to stick his neck out on anything.

Why in the world is he talking about storms robbing the moisture this early in the game??!

I was wondering the same thing. It's a week away, how could he possible even mention that? Back on topic, 0z nam looks interesting.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well channel 13 weather is at least showing a 30 percent chance now for rain changing to a mix both sunday and monday for the asheville area. its a start.

Don't like to talk bad about a group of mets in public......so I will just say you would be much better off with the group on WHNS Fox Carolina. Both on TV & esp. the blog.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/weather

http://www.foxcarolina.com/category/211127/weather-blog

I was wondering the same thing. It's a week away, how could he possible even mention that? Back on topic, 0z nam looks interesting.

looks like somethings trying to brew in the western gulf there sparked from a compact little s/w coming down, with a 1044 high in the plains... dont know if future panels wouldn't suppress that but it looks like a good setup... would love to get that 1044 high in the Wisconsin vicinity instead, but its the 84 hours NAM..... (this shows how desperate we are in the SE for some wintry weather)

Don't like to talk bad about a group of mets in public......so I will just say you would be much better off with the group on WHNS Fox Carolina. Both on TV & esp. the blog.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/category/211127/weather-blog

Yeah, Andy is the man! Not even worth watching any other local network weather.

In my opinion, this is a classic example of folks reading what the model is outputting without looking to see if it makes sense. Yes, the 18z GFS shows accumulating snow, but should it? In my opinion, the answer is: not really. I really don't get why some people are saying this is a classic winter storm setup with the surface high out in the Atlantic, and southerly surface winds showing up from VA to ME leading up to the event. There is no cold air feed other than the storm itself, but if you look at the sounding, the winds are southerly throughout the column for the event. If this is going to trend, all the signs are pointing to it trending warmer. A classic winter storm pattern would be last Christmas, and if you go back and compare the synoptic setup to this one, I think you'll see where I'm coming from.

I'm feeling kind of the same way. I have not studied all of the maps for this "threat" yet, but so far, it's not really passing the eye test.

Check out the NAM at 84 it has our energy already moving into TX with that other parcel of energy coming down the Rockies....does that energy phase later on down stream if you extrapolate the NAM? This GFS run might get pretty interesting if the NAM is any indicator...unless I'm totally reading this wrong.

http://www.foxcaroli...27/weather-blog

Lol the 7 day is way diff than the wlos site.They put us into the 30 this weekend were wlos put us 10-15 degrees warmer. Crazy. Thanks for the Websites Don.

Check out the NAM at 84 it has our energy already moving into TX with that other parcel of energy coming down the Rockies....does that energy phase later on down stream if you extrapolate the NAM? This GFS run might get pretty interesting if the NAM is any indicator...unless I'm totally reading this wrong.

No, your reading it right. The energy coming down the rockies is what the gfs is keying in on. I think the euro keeps this as a clipper.

the NAM is setting the table at 84. Both GFS and NAM now have enough western energy topping the ridge that it could develop or absorb the southwest cutoff just after 84 hours. This fits the pattern this year , of systems breaking as they pass over the western ridge. Since we're entering a new pattern, it only remains to be seen if this trend continues, even with 2 models now showing it. Splitting flow, deep Eastern Canada vortex, southerly tracking system and Arctic air entrenched in most of the nation at 84 to 120 hours is a legitimate setup for Wintry weather in the upper South.

Feels good to be back on the board.. not sure who remembers but I have been extremely busy lately just graduated from college in Norfolk.. Im back in NC for a while, and thought the GFS and new NAM looked interesting.. there is no board better than this one for winter weather in the South!

Feels good to be back on the board.. not sure who remembers but I have been extremely busy lately just graduated from college in Norfolk.. Im back in NC for a while, and thought the GFS and new NAM looked interesting.. there is no board better than this one for winter weather in the South!

Welcome back, but this year that is like saying, "there is no board better than this one for surfing in Kansas".

To think earlier we had over 160 users until the 0z GFS ran. Funny how I mentioned that the 18z looked too good to be true and then this happens (haha) but in all seriousness I'm not disappointed about it just yet. This is what I would expect with a changing pattern and it doesn't help matters that we have the next system on our hands to keep watch with the severe threat and such so models are going to struggle even harder with both the pattern and how they handle this system once before and after it departs from the Southeast, let alone the next one that potentially makes it way over here for next week. A lot of waffling with them but I'd give it another 2 or 3 days before making final judgement to what may or may not happen to that next shortwave, and even then that may not be enough waiting time since it can quickly change around 2 days. Going to be interesting to see how much more they keep going with this flipping business between nothing and something and so the wild ride continues...

To think earlier we had over 160 users until the 0z GFS ran. Funny how I mentioned that the 18z looked too good to be true and then this happens (haha) but in all seriousness I'm not disappointed about it just yet. This is what I would expect with a changing pattern and it doesn't help matters that we have the next system on our hands to keep watch with the severe threat and such so models are going to struggle even harder with both the pattern and how they handle this system once before and after it departs from the Southeast, let alone the next one that potentially makes it way over here for next week. A lot of waffling with them but I'd give it another 2 or 3 days before making final judgement to what may or may not happen to that next shortwave, and even then that may not be enough waiting time since it can quickly change around 2 days. Going to be interesting to see how much more they keep going with this flipping business between nothing and something and so the wild ride continues...

1 Remember that number because that is how storms we will have this year in our neck of the woods. So enjoy the warm dry winter. And see you in the Crum Chat for that one Storm. LoL :axe: To Winter!

Archived