Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion II

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. Yeah, my thinking remains the same as on the video this morning. Watch between about the 4:45 and 7:00 mark.

I am favoring the more sustained cold remaining over the northern roughly half of the country as the most likely scenario. But I expect occasional shots of arctic air into the Southeast. And yes, I also stated that the overall patten doesn't look too bad for those looking for wintry weather chances down the road. You don't want cold and dry to overwhelm the pattern. Something like this, with a vast supply of cold air close by, is not a bad look.

Monster highs will likely move from the northern Plains into the Northeast, giving us at least a shot of some CAD scenarios.

But if we do wind up seeing the NAO tank, then that is when you could get ugly cold into our region.

But these are challenging forecast times, and any and all forecast ideas must be subject to alteration or trashing altogether.

Great video and thanks for explaining things. Seems like it's a wait and see were the blocking can set up and if the darn NAO would ever go negative we just might be in business.

LOL at model cluelessness. Isn't the 18z GFS run off of 12z GFS data? Yet, comparing 12z at 120 hours to 18z at 114 is hilarious. 12z had a closed low off the SE Alaskan coast pumping up the ridge. 18z run has no such feature at all.

Low forming off TX in GOM and temps are slightly colder on this run out to 120.

LOL at model cluelessness. Isn't the 18z GFS run off of 12z GFS data? Yet, comparing 12z at 120 hours to 18z at 114 is hilarious. 12z had a closed low off the SE Alaskan coast pumping up the ridge. 18z run has no such feature at all.

Yep night and day but it appears to be coming close to the same solution in the end though we might not see that elastic band of moisture the 12z had.

Might be snow in far N GA...thickness is not conducive for snow though.

right north of clt is a possibility 540 wise. It has the 850 0c cutting off around CAE through 138.

Edit: to be a bit furth south with a sn chance, we would want this to be a bit more suppressed. that waa kills.

usapcpthkprs1000500mb13u.gif

It's only Jan 9 for crissake, get a grip. This is not Boston, it's Georgia. We are due for a less snowy winter, but to give up now is just nutty. All it takes is one well-timed S/W, a closed low in early March, you never know. Will I be surprised if we get now real snow/ice this winter? No. However throwing in the towel this early is not very prudent, but to each his/her own.

well said. it seems like a lot of people have forgotten what "normal" se winters are like. the last two were EXTREME exceptions, at least for mby. over four feet of snow in two winters? multiple 6"+ snowstorms in the same year? the bitter cold and long lasting snow? the list goes on and on.

this is a more normal winter. and after being on the boards for many of these horrible winters this is why lol. no snow and model hoping. the last two winters were the exception, this is the norm and none of us can change it. as you said we are just now in prime winter wx territory. even in ne ga flurries or a dusting is about the most before jan any given year. and mid jan to early march is when most of us normally see winter wx. just one set up with cold air, a disturbance moving by and some snow. 2" or more at any one time is great in n ga, anyway, even after the last two years.

the models look like they have in the past. unreliable out past a few days. many of us grew up without being able to see models or radar online (yeah i just dated myself haha). on the other hand, this lack of winter wx has given me a lot more "free" time (and work time) the last couple of weeks without being glued to the computer.

It would be nice if another model agreed with it, but it's nice that 3 runs in a row now have had a wintery type event in roughly 6 days.

Agreed. This is the first time I've been excited about a run, though, which I shouldn't be considering the flipping of the models lately. I was excited before it showed it IMBY...this is the setup we've been waiting to see <200hrs.

Bad news is that line is very close and anytime your that close you usually fall on the wrong end. Same for CLT on this run.

haha Me and Widre know far too well...central NC is like flipping a coin as far as where that 0c line sets up and usually it ends as snow here after raining for a few hours...but I'll take what I can get this year.

Archived