• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 2 - 4 Disco/Obs

NavarreDon

Joe i have to agree. Living up at about 3500 to 3600 feet and especially as high as you are just something exciting is going to happen. Just going out and hearing the wind rolling down the mountain and into the hollar. Clouds are starting to move in and the air is as crisp and if it were 0 degrees outside. I think the snow comes in earlier and i think we will get more that they think. Just noticed they know have highs for use in the 20s today and tomorrow. Nothing like living in the mountains.

You're one of us. I'll see you at the next meeting. B)

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be a couple of degrees too warm, but here is what I am going with on air as of now....considering the downsloping component, I was a little leery of going colder, although I could certainly see some spots not making 30. I would probably put My. Airy, N Wilkesboro, and Stuart at 30 or 31 if I was making the graphic again right this minute. We will see.

highstom.jpg

Our local mets are showing around 35-38 for high tuesday? What you think?

Having off today, I am trying to cut away for a bit and go over to Roan Mountain at Carvers Gap for a mike out/mile in hike on the Appalachian Trail.

I'll report back on conditions. With Avery ridgelines around 12 degrees at 10am, it is likely around 6 to 8 on Roan

I guess you can say I want to get my fill of arctic cold weather!

Sounds like a awesome day for a hike!!

Having off today, I am trying to cut away for a bit and go over to Roan Mountain at Carvers Gap for a mike out/mile in hike on the Appalachian Trail.

I'll report back on conditions. With Avery ridgelines around 12 degrees at 10am, it is likely around 6 to 8 on Roan

I guess you can say I want to get my fill of arctic cold weather!

Current wind chill in Blue.

post-501-0-41480600-1325518032.png

Headed back to clt from the inlaws so I thought id check in. Currently 20 miles north of Hopkinsville, KY and have been getting on and off heavy snow showers with a temp of 28. The artic air is squeezing out every bit of moisture in the air which bolds well for the mountains as this S/W rotates through. Snow started almost as soon as the clouds moved in so you guys can watch the cloud line to get an idea of when the snow should start. Also note that NO snow was forecasted for this region this morning. Ill check back in later with more obs.

Headed back to clt from the inlaws so I thought id check in. Currently 20 miles north of Hopkinsville, KY and have been getting on and off heavy snow showers with a temp of 28. The artic air is squeezing out every bit of moisture in the air which bolds well for the mountains as this S/W rotates through. Snow started almost as soon as the clouds moved in so you guys can watch the cloud line to get an idea of when the snow should start. Also note that NO snow was forecasted for this region this morning. Ill check back in later with more obs.

RUC has pockets of snow showers in northern Alabama and GA --even down to ATL . And the -15 air is diving nearly due south. The globals didn't catch (and won't catch) the pockets of flurries that usually accompany the arctic air.

18hr RUC

post-38-0-78987800-1325519350.gif

Ugh guess a fence is better than it falling into your house! The winds really picked up here over night as well - looks Ike several gusts were in the mid 30 mph range. Also gotten COLD (31*) So now where is some moisture :devilsmiley:

I was awake last night thinking that was going to be what happened to my house. Seriously windy last night.

I imagine you didn't sleep much either!

that's not good. Good thing it wasn't your house or a neighbor's.

Yep, we had one fall on the neighbors house early last spring, we were lucky this time. Something is randomly killing some of our pines at home, not sure what it is. We are very grateful that there was no more property damage. We went and got supplies to fix the fence, Hopefully it will all be back to normal shortly so I can let our 100lb German Shepard go run and play!

RUC has pockets of snow showers in northern Alabama and GA --even down to ATL . And the -15 air is diving nearly due south. The globals didn't catch (and won't catch) the pockets of flurries that usually accompany the arctic air.

18hr RUC

RUC sim radar looked better than the NAM's for the Mnts. to my untrained eyes.....opinions?

Brr...after getting back from south Florida it's cold out! Planning on going skiing later this week so it's good to see that the higher elevations might get a few inches. Most important will be the cold air-from my lurking in the NE forum temps around 14 degrees are ideal for snowmaking, and with this outbreak the resorts should be able to make snow all day for a few days.

Archived