joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Joe bastardi cancels January in the east

Ji

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In many respects, the past few winters have resembled the late 40s/early 50s, at least up here. 2009-2010 was a near snowless winter in Toronto, trumped only by 1952-53.

I'l agree with that statement here in northern Michigan too. The past 3 winters with significantly below normal snowfall up here basically line up perfectly with the mid 50s. Also, interestingly this is when the last negative PDO flip occurred, and just noticed that the latest November PDO numbers are the lowest since 1957. Kind of interesting...

More accurately, he's cancelled January 1-20 for the east. Expect the SSW event to impact the east in the last 1/3 of the month.

"That being said, it will produce quite the fight and if we can get wavelengths to shorten the end of January, the same kind of pattern that is coming up now, except with major arctic air on the map, could result."

my own thoughts are February will be the month to watch this year...maybe early March as well...Analogs to watch are 1949-50, 1971-72 and 1974-75...

I agree with the two bolded analogs. December 1971 saw a lot more cold and snow up in Ontario than eitehr 1949 or 1974. December 1974 was a TORCH up in Toronto and Ottawa, much like this year, with more snow though.

LC, DT and JB all went cold/snowy for December...these are the mets that tend to get the most attention for some reason, so when the month busted horribly warm and snowless for most, thus the "surprise" at it being warm

i feel like 90% of winter forecasts had a cold and blocky december (ala last yr).

yes..most people will call for a cold Dec in La Nina no matter what which is what happened this year

I thought that until mid November when the AO wetn so positive, then its really hard to switch very quickly. I'm in the Don Sutherland camp about January though I may be a little less bearish about dc snow. Still the AO probalby going to average being positive for the month. Add a La nina and that's not a great combo.

I thought that until mid November when the AO wetn so positive, then its really hard to switch very quickly. I'm in the Don Sutherland camp about January though I may be a little less bearish about dc snow. Still the AO probalby going to average being positive for the month. Add a La nina and that's not a great combo.

Yep, that was when I got off the bus, too. When the quick, weak MJO P7-1 didn't even budge the anti-blocking regime, I hopped off quickly.

yes..most people will call for a cold Dec in La Nina no matter what which is what happened this year

Why? There are too many warm Decembers in the East to make such a call for a La Niña without considering alternative scenarios. December 1949, 1956, 1971, 1974, 1998, 1999, and most recently, 2007 had large areas of warmth in the East. Clearly, one's call can be wrong. That's the risk inherent in any forecast. I have more than enough busts, myself, to remember that risk. But the data argues that one cannot and should not automatically assume that a La Niña December will be cold in the East.

More accurately, he's cancelled January 1-20 for the east. Expect the SSW event to impact the east in the last 1/3 of the month.

"That being said, it will produce quite the fight and if we can get wavelengths to shorten the end of January, the same kind of pattern that is coming up now, except with major arctic air on the map, could result."

What SSW event? There has been no SSW event.

The fact is that JBs winter forecast has been an unmitigated disaster thus far. He called for a front loaded winter, with winter vanishing come January and February. This can't be good news for Weatherbell, jis new employer. Not a great first winter for them. Not that they control the weather, but still. If anything, this December has been worse than 2001, when we at least some some accumulating snow in Toronto and Ottawa had a white Christmas. Some people thought I was going over the top when I suggested a month or two ago that this could be a 1931-32 redux, but look what's happening. Virtually no arctic air anywhere our side of the pole outside of Alaska. We have seen a torch october, November and now December. Even 2006 saw a below normal October. I said last month that you don't get a cold snowy winter after a torch November up in Ontario and that theory seems to be panning out. Right now I think Roger Smith deserves congratulations. We can hope he's right and that the ice man comes in February. As for me, my current analogs are 1877-78, 1880-81, 1918-1919, 1931-32, 1949-50, 1952-53 and 1974-75 with a heaby emphasis on 1949-50 and 1952-53 given weseem to be in that kind of climate cycle at this time.

The fact is that JBs winter forecast has been an unmitigated disaster thus far. He called for a front loaded winter, with winter vanishing come January and February. This can't be good news for Weatherbell, jis new employer. Not a great first winter for them. Not that they control the weather, but still. If anything, this December has been worse than 2001, when we at least some some accumulating snow in Toronto and Ottawa had a white Christmas. Some people thought I was going over the top when I suggested a month or two ago that this could be a 1931-32 redux, but look what's happening. Virtually no arctic air anywhere our side of the pole outside of Alaska. We have seen a torch october, November and now December. Even 2006 saw a below normal October. I said last month that you don't get a cold snowy winter after a torch November up in Ontario and that theory seems to be panning out. Right now I think Roger Smith deserves congratulations. We can hope he's right and that the ice man comes in February. As for me, my current analogs are 1877-78, 1880-81, 1918-1919, 1931-32, 1949-50, 1952-53 and 1974-75 with a heaby emphasis on 1949-50 and 1952-53 given weseem to be in that kind of climate cycle at this time.

1949-50 and 1974-75 were the La Nina years...Both had decent February's and cold into April...

1949-50 and 1974-75 were the La Nina years...Both had decent February's and cold into April...

That's what I'm hoping for now. January looks to be a torch, but if we could get a blockbuster February, all would be forgiven. If we could just get a February like 1950 or 1934 even followed by a March like 1984.

I'd taked 1880-81. A very cold and snowy winter in the OV. Maybe you mean 1881-82, which was god awful.

LC, DT and JB all went cold/snowy for December...these are the mets that tend to get the most attention for some reason, so when the month busted horribly warm and snowless for most, thus the "surprise" at it being warm

That is why they get the most attention

Archived