joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday Wintry Threat - Obs

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome report. It should start to pound soon.

We are now snowing at 950-1,000ft in Stowe. Very wet -SN but snow.

Accumulations will be painfully slow with the wet, warm ground until we get that burst of heavier precip around midnight-4am.

It always seems to take a while when the ground is soaking wet to get that inital coating down.

Just drove up to the ski resort base at 1,500-1,600ft and its snowing pretty good up there. Snow level was at the base of the Mansfield Toll Road at 1,300ft

That’s great to hear PF; the snow should be to you before long. I’ll be up late working this evening so I’ll try to send in some hourly observations and I’ll do a snow/water analysis at midnight if there’s anything to report. 8:00 P.M. observations: it’s been snowing for an hour, but with the warm temperatures down at this elevation it hasn’t really been accumulating. Currently on the snowboard we’ve got a very slushy accumulation of mostly liquid, maybe a tenth of an inch, but the temperature has dropped (perhaps with aid from the snowfall) to 34.0 F and the flakes are getting bigger (some up to the 6-7mm diameter range) so that may help in terms of accumulations going forward.

That’s great to hear PF; the snow should be to you before long. I’ll be up late working this evening so I’ll try to send in some hourly observations and I’ll do a snow/water analysis at midnight if there’s anything to report. 8:00 P.M. observations: it’s been snowing for an hour, but with the warm temperatures down at this elevation it hasn’t really been accumulating. Currently on the snowboard we’ve got a very slushy accumulation of mostly liquid, maybe a tenth of an inch, but the temperature has dropped (perhaps with aid from the snowfall) to 34.0 F and the flakes are getting bigger (some up to the 6-7mm diameter range) so that may help in terms of accumulations going forward.

Out of curiousity, how much liquid has fallen before snow begins accumulating? I'd be curious for a QPF analysis.

Snowing pretty good right now... flake size is massive. Aggregates the size and mass of small pinecones. And we've cooled to 32F.

This band is finally putting down some accums as the cars, mulch, and grass are whitening up. Each clump of aggregates is like a couple tenths of accumulation when it lands on a level surface, haha.

J.Spin should be in this band with me.

9:00 P.M. Waterbury update: Not too much changed for the bulk of the past hour – snowfall was fairly light in intensity and flakes were similar in size to my previous report with some up above that 5 mm diameter range. Temperature is down at touch as of 9:00 P.M. to 33.8 F. It looks like some sort of switch flipped just a bit ago though, because the snowfall intensity has really ramped up to a consistent moderate level, and some of the flakes are really big at up to an inch in diameter. Accumulation on the snowboard is up to 0.2”, but if this current snowfall keeps up the way it is going right now there will definitely be some more appreciable accumulation on the way. Actually now that I look at the BTV composite radar I can see that that area of yellow echoes just nosed into our area and is presumably associated with the increased snowfall intensity:

07DEC11A.gif

Archived