• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
FAILDC#

Ji

i think almost every model crashes 850s way quicker than the surface so it's something to consider. this is one run...

we are going to have to pay attention to thermal profiles tomorrow and Wednesday....even then in these situations there is guesswork involved as to when the changeover happens....It is tough where we are, but a quick pasty bomb is probably the best case scenario we can wish for

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we are going to have to pay attention to thermal profiles tomorrow and Wednesday....even then in these situations there is guesswork involved as to when the changeover happens....It is tough where we are, but a quick pasty bomb is probably the best case scenario we can wish for

yeah i agree. i dont think it's necessarily a wrong solution but it's close to the best possible perhaps. still one of those situations where a small shift north does some serious damage to our prospects in the beltway etc. i dont get the need to throw out numbers etc unless people want to claim they called it first.

yeah i agree. i dont think it's necessarily a wrong solution but it's close to the best possible perhaps. still one of those situations where a small shift north does some serious damage to our prospects in the beltway etc. i dont get the need to throw out numbers etc unless people want to claim they called it first.

I don't have access to any detailed euro stuff. Where does the low exit the coast?

You probably haven't looked at the draft of my article. I was pretty careful not to yet make a call though I do think the odds are more for a minor even for us guys (1-3) than for more than that and could easily see us getting screwed. North and west with elevation my be a different story. We're still going to be fighting boundary layer issues. If it really snows hard, we can overcome that and the temps might actually fall to near freezing. If the precip is lighter, we probably won't get close to freezing fast enough to get much.

The more detailed euro maps seem to imply changeover around 3-4z for DC proper and probably 3 hrs where it may be coming down good.

As Ian said, this run is a 1-3" run for the cities and probably a best case scenario....quick bomb, night, perfect track....I'm still not optimistic in my location....i got around 0.5" on 10/29....I'd probably put the over/under around there....

Detailed video discussion on the latest 12Z GFS and 12Z NAM model runs at http://spam.com/category/phl/ with a focus on the much more similar handling by the models of the upper level system associated with this potential storm. Both models suggest snow late Wednesday night and early Thursday in the Mid-Atlantic region, including the I-95 corridor, with some accumulations possible.

You probably haven't looked at the draft of my article. I was pretty careful not to yet make a call though I do think the odds are more for a minor even for us guys (1-3) than for more than that and could easily see us getting screwed. North and west with elevation my be a different story. We're still going to be fighting boundary layer issues. If it really snows hard, we can overcome that and the temps might actually fall to near freezing. If the precip is lighter, we probably won't get close to freezing fast enough to get much.

i didnt realize you sent it. just took a look.. agree of course.

i was not implying that because the 32 line is well northwest on the euro we are screwed just because of that -- i think the euro does that quite often. i remember it did that in jan last yr as one instance. more or less it's still going to be a battle to get the cold air in on time.

i think the models are closing in on a consensus track at least but there could very well be more shifts. i want to see at least a run or two more of the euro close to that before even believing it as it is now.

As Ian said, this run is a 1-3" run for the cities and probably a best case scenario....quick bomb, night, perfect track....I'm still not optimistic in my location....i got around 0.5" on 10/29....I'd probably put the over/under around there....

I feel like this is one of those times where everything is kind of fluid and they may be more subtle shifts coming so it's tough to get too excited right now. You didn't do much worse than me on Oct 29..lol, so I think we are both hoping for a few inches here. It's been so horrifically boring, that even mood flakes would be welcomed at this point.

I do like the location of the 850 on the Euro. Consolidating around Ocean City at 06z.

i didnt realize you sent it. just took a look.. agree of course.

i was not implying that because the 32 line is well northwest on the euro we are screwed just because of that -- i think the euro does that quite often. i remember it did that in jan last yr as one instance. more or less it's still going to be a battle to get the cold air in on time.

i think the models are closing in on a consensus track at least but there could very well be more shifts. i want to see at least a run or two more of the euro close to that before even believing it as it is now.

I agree about the euro, it has a warm bias from the surface to 850mb (I think). It's QPF is hard to beat. Jason is now prepping the piece.

zwyts is a tad more bullish than I expected. Perhaps time to pay attention.

a bit maybe...but most of my comments are based on this run rather than a prediction...it was a very good run...perhaps as good as we can expect...I am not predicting that this run comes to fruition, but it does show one way even in this crappy pattern that track and dynamics can overcome it to some extent..but i am not calling for 1-3" in the cities....I still think that is kind of the best case scenario

va/nc border -- the track is ideal

Wow. That is exacly what I was hoping for. Not only is it ideal but it is also a classic track. Many a storm has snowed on us with that track and it almost seems likely considering what all the models are showing. NAM will likely give us more promise in a couple of hours.

There's 60+ degree water just off the coast of VA. Gotta wonder if the low deepens quicker upon exit that what is modeled.

here is something weird...it has not been cold at all this winter but when there has been some cold air around(even marginal), there has been a snowstorm tied to it.

maybe this is the winter where we dont have many windows of opportunity but we we do, we score?

Archived